SAU Community

Acvr Boost Controller - Q's

nsanity

Hey guys, i've got one of these in my R33 GTS-T with mild mods (stock turbo and AFM though).

I'm just wondering at just what they can do.

From brief reading around the web, i've noticed that they can be used as a rudimentary form of traction control (speed based boost limiting), and many "quick and dirty" guides mention that there is quite a few settings that people who don't know what they are doing can make it perform terribly.

I currently have 2 settings, A and B. The main difference between the two that i can see is that A cap's boost at about .6 bar, and B at about 0.9 bar.

Is it worth getting this thing tuned by someone with a dyno/knows what they are doing? what benefits could i expect? how much should i look at paying for it?

I also have a PowerFC, which was tuned by ICE down in melbourne, i have no knowledge if the AVCR was tuned at the same time however.

Unless you're experiencing problems, leave it alone. Yes it does do a few nifty things. Traction control isn't one of them - that's your right foot. If you think you have traction issues with a stock turbo, please don't upgrade it. :D (no offence intended)

That said. 0.9 bar is too much for the stock turbo and 0.6 is not taking advantage of what you have. 0.8 is good. You may need to adjust the boost duty cycle down a little to make sure it hits the right boost.

Probably best not to play with it if you have no idea. Try reading the manual. If that doesn't help take it to a cruise that your local Skyliners are going on and someone there will know what to do.

Unless you're experiencing problems, leave it alone. Yes it does do a few nifty things. Traction control isn't one of them - that's your right foot. If you think you have traction issues with a stock turbo, please don't upgrade it. :rofl: (no offence intended)

That said. 0.9 bar is too much for the stock turbo and 0.6 is not taking advantage of what you have. 0.8 is good. You may need to adjust the boost duty cycle down a little to make sure it hits the right boost.

Probably best not to play with it if you have no idea. Try reading the manual. If that doesn't help take it to a cruise that your local Skyliners are going on and someone there will know what to do.

I didn't expect real traction control - and no i don't have traction "problems". One of the features i'd noted in the handful of documentation i read on the web was that it could adjust the boost limit based on speed.

I want to know what i can get out of it - and whether its worth paying someone who DOES know to make sure its tuned and sorted properly.

There was no manual supplied with the car for it, or the PFC (which i have no intension of touching, it was tuned by ICE in Melbourne who apparently have a good rep.).

Edited by nsanity

the avcr can use speed as a reference to guess gears.

apparently then you can see max boost per gear

ie say 0.45bar under 35km/h and so on

but 0.65bar upto 65km/h etc (which you "predict" as 2nd gear)