SAU Community

Misfire

wagon

Hey all, im trying to find a solution to my misfire problem.

My car is an auto series one with exhaust, bov, DC transmission cooler, bigger side mount cooler and a uni chip. Yesterday i changed all filters, oil, plugs and installed a set of splitfire coils.

It seems to have improoved slightly since the service.

It only misses at full temp when changing up gears. :)

When i had the car in Tassie there was no 98 ron and it missed terribly under any load using 95 ron.

I uninstalled the uni chip and it stopped the missfire almost completely.

When i moved to melbourne i re installed the uni chip and it ran as good on 98 ron as it did without the unichip on 95.

This now is the best it has run with new plugs and coils but im wondering if i can get it better by ditching the unichip and go the full glove box piggyback option, or does it just need to be taken to a uni chip shop to get looked at or adjusted??

Welcome any comments, Cheers Kris

Well if you didnt have the splitfires I wouldve said it was definatly the coil packs, as lots of RB's seem to have this missfire issue with the stocker coil packs, but splitfires _shouldve_ fixed the loss of spark issue, but then again it is only when you are running more boost and you have not listed any type of boost controller so I am assuming you are running stock boost, if so then you shouldnt have any missfire issues.....? Is the unichip adjustable?

My bet was the coil packs too after reading how many have had a missfire problem,

So i was pretty annoyed when the splitfires didnt fix it.

There is a boost controller plug-in attachment into the uni chip.

My boost guage only shows 0.6bar which is pretty low.

That is with the unichip in, but it was much slower with the unichip disconnected

I think i will have to get hold of a boost controller

Edited by wagon

So you are running 0.6bar with or without the unichip?

Are you sure it's missfiring and not leaning out, as i thought they were similar feeling things, which I have had both happen to me.............?

i've tried re gapping the plugs numerous times.

It only happens foot to the floor when the auto changes gear, when its not full temp the car will 'jump' forward.

When its hot it farts.

0.65mm?

I ran 0.8mm with 1 bar and no issues on stock untuned ECU.

Yeah that was on the Onevia - Garyy said to gap it to that to see if it misfired. Because it did on .75mm...

• 2 weeks later...

Pulled the carpet up 2day and had a look at the ECU and the unichip was plugged in but a couple of wires were not connected.

Must have been off with the fairies when i thought i hooked it up. :dry:

Connected the remaining wires and it wouldn't start, turn over but not fire. :ninja:

Unplug the unichip with the wires still connected and it would start.

Does anyone by any chance have a unichip stagea wiring diagram/wire colour list??? :D

Slim chance but will try.

Will get my tax back soon and take it for a dyno run and get the unichip wired in properly.

Still missing but its not a spark/ ignite problem.

and its not as bad now, just bearable with the splitfires