SAU Community

R31 Engine Conversion All Done! But Strange Wiring?

rorz

Hey guys, i was told to post here for some help so i thought i'd try...

I have a 1986 Nissan Skyline R31 GT Passage RB20DE Redtop Automatic.

I also bought a 1990 R31 GXE RB30E Manual (Auz assembled)

I have taken the whole driveline out of the GXE and chucked it in the Passage and everything bolted up sweet (except gbox crossmember and driveshaft which i sussed out)

But now the strange part.. i took over the whole ECU and loom and it all plugs in, but the car wont start?

So i put a lead straight from the battery to the starter and the engine turns over, but doesnt spark (i looked at a spark plug and it had no spark)

Apparantly i need to make it think that its stuck in park in order for the ignition to work, but im out of ideas as to why theres no spark?

Distributer and coil are sweet as...

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated...

Cheers

Rorz :P

Seems likely that you have the GXE engine loom and the Passage body loom.

If the engine doesn't crank over with the key in 'start' position then you probably have Passage wiring expecting to connect to engine wiring that includes a park/neutral safety switch.

Since that switch ain't there then it isn't going to get 12V to the starter solenoid.

That it all plugs together doesn't mean it's wired the same.

You're going to need a Passage manual with wiring diags and a GXE manual with wiring diags.

Then you're gonna need lot's of patience to compare them and work out what's missing and what isn't connected where it should be.

Good luck

oh, and if you have used the GXE ECU then you don't need any other ECU

I'm inclined to suspect that the Passage wiring doesn't provide a power supply to the ECU when used with the GXE engine harness

Edited by aarc240

ok sweet thanks for the replies, i'll probably tow her down to the auto elecs then cause that sounds a bit over me aye. Im using the GXE harness too (The wiring that goes to the battery, starter, alternator etc) so it shouldnt be too hard to fix, although it still doesnt explain why its not getting spark.

Cheers anyway guys

Cheers for that mate, but i've already towed her down to the auto elecs. Let them sort it out, one more quick question.. my driveshaft is a weeee bit too long (the whole spline on the yoke is in the gearbox), what does this mean? Someone said it could rip my oil seal out?

And also, since im using an Auto Diff, i will have different diff ratio correct? Which means it could be slower??

Cheers

Rorz