SAU Community

R33 GTS-T slow??????

Originally posted by old_man_silvia

(I previously owned an R31 and it was the worst car I ever owned

obviosuly that wasn't the import version.

anyhow.

silvia's fell faster as the are close to the ground and are lighter.

mates 180 fels like a bullet but is only running around the 14.4 1/4 mile and mine runs 13.8 easily and his just feels quicker.

but it's size of mine that makes it 'feel' slow.

give your mods dude (if you buy one) and it'll fly.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With regards to those 255LS1 Clubsports.. True they arn't that quick.

There is a 255LS1 Maloo 6 Speed Manual ute getting around here, I had a couple of runs.. Rolling run from second gear at around 40-50kays.. Killed him and a off the line run which he got a better launch but I pulled him in and was past him by the time I clicked third gear.

I really was quite suprised how well it didn't go.

I'm making around the 160rwkw but in a R32 which is slightly lighter but the RB20DET is quite gutless off boost.

I'm still going to build up that RB30DET :P

I think compared to usual stock street cars a gtst skyline is relatively quick but considerrably laggy cause of weight. Mine is stock with pos and turbo back exhaust. I am considering getting a computer, cooler, and boosting it but i dont want to wreck the car. I keep getting told that when boosting a car u dramatically decrease the life of your engine and in some cases totally stuff it up (lean out). what u guys think? who has run high boost on stock internals and how long did your engine last?

You really need to up the boost, and be able to adjust the a/f ratios if you want to get some decent power out of the gts-t. I think if mine was stock (although i've never driven a stock one to be honest) it just wouldn't have the same kick as mine can have.

Course you can stuff it up, but most likely the only person who would could to that would be somebody who doesn't know what they are doing.

Sure upping the boost and upping the power will probably reduce the engine life but so does driving it... Its all relative. If you do it reasonably with a good cooler and things you should be able to up the boost and get more power safely. If u get any sort of 2stage boost controller, most of the time you'll just run on low boost anyway and take it easy... unless u really want to hoon around, flick the switch and la la..

To be honest, who's problem will it be after a while? :) The engine probably will still last fine unless driven hard for many years, by which time you would have sold it and then its somebody else's problem isn't it? :)

I compare boosting a turbo car to overclocking a CPU.

but.. We arn't talking about overclocking a Commodore we are talking about overclocking a Nissan Skyline.

Skylines are built tougher than commodores from factory so unless it is tuned badly and you slap cheap crappy fuel in it you won't blow your motor.

I have had mine since 66,000km's and have been running 15-16psi through it until 128,000km's which it is at now.

Still running strong and recent compression test showed exactly the same as when it was at 80,000km's.

The RB is a tough motor. I have no doubt that it will easily last to 200,000km's before starting to puff a bit of smoke.

Most motors do start to puff a little smoke at around 200,000km's.

SilvaR33 - give Unique Auto Sports (www.gtr.com.au) a call as they supplied the fibreglass GTR bar on my series 2. Be aware though that the steel bar it's screwed to had to have a chunk out of it to allow it to fit. Previous owner had all this done but after reading some posts on the matter you could run into insurance hassles. Probably why you have been told they cannot be fitted to the GTS-T series 2...nobody is game to grind chunks out of the steel bar any more.

Also check this post on dodgy body kits (like mine):

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/sh...8321#post138321

Also I should note that when I got my GTS-T already modded up I didn't give fuel much of a thought and ended up with a Caltex fuel card. Bad move. The Vortex is rated at 96 octane and the Apexi was mapped to work with 98 octane. Motor needed replacing a few months ago 6 months after I got the car. Compression was all gone and the blow-by was sqirting oil into everything. Optimax from that point on with the replacement engine. Power was off the planet after the engine change over...even more with the Wynns octane boost.

Ok, I'm really missing my car! I don't think I can cope anymore!

Need to start a support group for people not coping with the sudden loss of their Skylines. LOL!!

I've got an APEXI Power FC and run Synergi 8000 (Mobil) fuel and this fuel is awesome. I get more Km's on this than on Optimax...I know Unique Autosports and they said they couldn't fit a GTR bar on a Series 2....Now I know why...

I prefer drifting in the Dry personally.. There is a few good roads up towards flagstaff that coming off the 80kay zone I can hang it in third gear crossed up all the way through third.

Feel's pretty hairy though. :O

Its suprising how well the stock suspension holds in.

well personally, i dont find my 33 very quick anymore, but have driven so many quick cars that nothing std really feels quick to me (havent driven any italian super cars tho!)

my car is lightly modded, and to give u an example of the power, it was raining last time i drove it (almost 4 weeks ago now!!!!) and I over took a car in 4th gear.. i looked down at my speedo and was reading over 180.... that was just wheel spin.. when I took my foot off the gas it pulled back down to 100...

so, if a car can spin its wheels that much, then i reckon its got enough power :P

have to say guys looking at the rwkw figures that get posted that I had no idea how highly modded out my 230rwkw GTS-T was in comparision to most GTS-T's out there. I seriously thought 230rwkw or higher wasn't that uncommon. Only problem now is that it's not likely I'm going to be driving something that's going to deliver the same rush that this one did...not without spending the big bucks the previous owner did on the Apexi gear and the like. Have to say I wish to god that the guy I bought it off had givien me the original ECU so I could have swapped it out the day I stacked the car. Live and learn.

then add on the $1k AVC-R boost controller...Apexi N1 3" exhaust...Apexi BOV....550 injectors...hks intercooler...hks 400HP turbo...etc.etc...all adds up in the end. I think pushing 230rwkw was just a bit of overkill on a car that had never been put on a race track and was only driven to work and back. Would have loved to see what it could have done on the 1/4mile. Hope the salvage company feels inspired to fix it up.

Dave at SAS did the dyno not long ago in case you are interested in getting a bit more out of your engine.

To grab 230rwkw you most probably need the following:

$2200 - Stage 1 GCG Turbo Upgrade *NEW*

$1400 - New FMIC - Can probably get cheaper.

$1000 - AVC-R EBC

$1000 - 3" Exhaust Second hand

$0400 - Bosh Fuel Pump

$0200 - Fuel Pressure Reg.

$1600 - PowerFC

--------

$$$$$ - Would make more than 230rwkw but yer it does add up spend 200more and get the stage 2 turbo and make an easy 260rwkw and full boost at 3500rpm. Most probably need injectors for any more than that though. Whatsisname is still using standard injectors and making 257rwkw.

Then there's the clutch.. Then the better tyres.. :)

Sure it does add up but seriously these days they are getting 210rwkw out of the standard turbo and getting in to the high 12's low 13's. :)

Plenty quick..