SAU Community

Hid Bulbs On A 34

From what I can tell, my cars still has the ballasts attached to the underside of the headlights. During compliance I reckon they just cut it out of the circuit. Its a bit hard to test the out put as they are high voltage. Where can I get the correct rated bulb and how much?

Rick - they cut the globe assemblies right inside the headlight. It is not generally possible to repair and fit HID globes. You would need to open the headlight, repair the fitting and replace the globes. The headlights are not easily opened and would require a lot of time and effort putting them in the oven and softening the glue until you could prise the fronts off. Then regluing when done. High probability of breaking or melting something.

It is also very unusual in a case like that that they've left the ballasts. It is more likely that they've removed them for destruction.

My own car had this done and I found it was easier to source entire new headlights - which I did - and swapped with my butchered headlights. Obviously you would need to spend some money on top for that to happen. Ring around compliance shops to ask if they'd be willing.

My car was apparently the 2nd GTR ever to be complied like 5 years ago.

The big shielded plug and ballasts are still there. looks like they just spliced in front of the ballasts and put different bulbs in. The old big hid plugs are simply taped up.. Might be more to it, but a bulb would allow me to see if it works...theres like 20000volts there so a multimeter won't cut it.