SAU Community

Winding Noise!

after installing my short shifter i noticed theres was a loud winding noise i discovered that the bottom rubber bout had cracked and split almost in 2!!! i called nissan and they said the winding noise is normal that rubber boot that cracked acted as a sound deadener. my prob is i can buy a new one from nissan for $21 but it doesnt fit over the short shifter kit!! does anyone know any other way of deadening the sound?? cheers.

The nissan rubber boot when new will slide over the stock stick with a bit of lubrication. Unless your shifter is more than an inch or so in diameter you wont have a problem

And the whine is due to the shifter, not the boot being split. The stock stick is rubber filled so damps it, most after market shifters are solid metal so transmit the noise.

mmm so its the shifter itself is it damn well i noticed that when i put the rubber boot over it dampened the noice quite a bit even though it was still there alil. yeh its an ebay lol im poor lol my only prob is it doesnt fit over the sqaure bit that holds the shifter down!! cheers

• 8 months later...

I streched mine rubber boot over the square bit and wraped a cable tie around it to hold it!.......Mine wines a little so I will see how it goes for a few weeks, if it pisses me off I will replace with the standard shifter again.

but when you have a 3.5 inch exhaust noise really isn't an issue!

mmm so its the shifter itself is it damn well i noticed that when i put the rubber boot over it dampened the noice quite a bit even though it was still there alil. yeh its an ebay lol im poor lol my only prob is it doesnt fit over the sqaure bit that holds the shifter down!! cheers

that might be why you've come across issues dude, my nismo one is pretty much perfect

i've installed an ebay one before and i noticed that if you put the bottom moon plates on upside down it clamps the gear stick up hard and you get the wine. flip them up the other way and the square plate does up tight but doesn't clamp the shifter up hard, just enough (about 0.5mm to 1mm clearance between the square plate and the top of the box), and you then get no wine. can you spin the square bit around with your hand or is it locked up tight?

• 9 months later...

After installing my short shifter from ebay using the items provided (which I werent happy with) I decided to change things up.

Firstly, the plastic coupling provided that goes around the ball down the bottom of the shifter was gay. I was easy to pull off and put on with your fingers (so if it's that easy, itll drop into your gearbox and do damage). So I went to Nissan Genuine parts and bought a brand new, original bit. this costed me $12. Its much thicker, slightly bigger, and tighter to get the ball in. THIS IS GOOD! I used a mallet to wack it on! then re installed it into my car, and YES! It was difficult to get into the gear box! yay! That means its nice and tight. Now I get NO play when in gear! It clicks in, and stays there!

Also the socket head bolts provided were too f**king small! I made a trip to Bunno's and got the same bolts but longer... and silver haha... I clamped the square bit on with EASE this time, and tightened it just enough, so it wasnt straining. Unlike the new longer bolts, I could only use 2 threads to tighten it, not smart at all. Locked up real tight (Thats why I only drove to work and back, then started working on the shifter again to refine it). I didnt want the vibration or anything like that to drive these bolts out.

Now the whining sound? I couldnt fit my original sound deadener boot around the gearbox and stick because there is a big square plate! So I just sat it there anyway, and put the rest of the boots over it.. I cant hear a sound now! It's probably due to the mixture of the new bolts, and plastic coupling.

Now, it clicks into gear, STAYS in gear, not tight and strenuous, and pretty much perfect.. I can't hear any whine as well :D

Thats my experience with the short shifter kit.

Edited by SinistR33

After installing my short shifter from ebay using the items provided (which I werent happy with) I decided to change things up.

Firstly, the plastic coupling provided that goes around the ball down the bottom of the shifter was gay. I was easy to pull off and put on with your fingers (so if it's that easy, itll drop into your gearbox and do damage). So I went to Nissan Genuine parts and bought a brand new, original bit. this costed me $12. Its much thicker, slightly bigger, and tighter to get the ball in. THIS IS GOOD! I used a mallet to wack it on! then re installed it into my car, and YES! It was difficult to get into the gear box! yay! That means its nice and tight. Now I get NO play when in gear! It clicks in, and stays there!

Also the socket head bolts provided were too f**king small! I made a trip to Bunno's and got the same bolts but longer... and silver haha... I clamped the square bit on with EASE this time, and tightened it just enough, so it wasnt straining. Unlike the new longer bolts, I could only use 2 threads to tighten it, not smart at all. Locked up real tight (Thats why I only drove to work and back, then started working on the shifter again to refine it). I didnt want the vibration or anything like that to drive these bolts out.

Now the whining sound? I couldnt fit my original sound deadener boot around the gearbox and stick because there is a big square plate! So I just sat it there anyway, and put the rest of the boots over it.. I cant hear a sound now! It's probably due to the mixture of the new bolts, and plastic coupling.

Now, it clicks into gear, STAYS in gear, not tight and strenuous, and pretty much perfect.. I can't hear any whine as well :geek:

Thats my experience with the short shifter kit.

That sounds like an awfull lot of effort and something that a nismo or such short shifter would have prevented.... Realy do have to ask yourself what your time and effort is worth....

Does different gear knobs contribute to the whining sound of the gearbox? I got this chunky isotta drake knob, and it seems to me like it amplifies the sound! but my metal Trust knob doesnt seem to do it... :S

i chopped the top half of my short shifter off about 1 inch from ball, done the same to my original one and re welded the original one on the short shifter. (pressure welder at work tig welded it). now it has the rubber bush on it, it feels and sounds(or no sound) like a standard shifter with a short throw.