SAU Community

Replacing Ignition Barrel. Can I Modify Lock To Fit Existing Key?

azaram

Hi Guys...

My GTR got broken into about a week ago and they had a good go at stealing it.

I've gotten a security guy to fix up the electrics, and I've sourced most of the plastics they broke and even a new lock/ignition barrel.

However, my question is - can I get a locksmith the adjust the new barrel to fit my existing key?

The reason I ask is that if the ignition barrel isn't adjusted the new key wouldn't match my doors and boot and I'd need 2 different keys... pretty dodgy.

I'm really hoping a locksmith can take care of this, but I have absolutely no idea what's possible.

Also, if you know this much about the locking barrels, I have another question about installing new ones taken off another car. I've sourced an ignition barrel with key from the forsale forums, but what I don't understand is how they can remove them and how I can install them in my car.

I only ask this because the security guy who worked on my car mentioned that when they install the lock barrel, it's installed with special screws that break off once they're attached, so you can't unscrew them.

So how DO people take them off? Drill them out? If that's the case, maybe the only way to get them back on is to either rethread them or use a standard nut/bolt?

Any tips/suggestions are really appreciated.

Thanks!

you should be able to get a barrel to fit the same key, but that would probably mean ordering a new barrel from nissan, or having a locksmith alter the barrel you have sourced. it may end up cheaper to buy the new barrel.

find a locksmith and ask them, or ring nissan. you will probably need your key number from in behind the drivers door trim.

actually, I've done a bit more research and found out it definitely is possible to get the barrel rekeyed to my key and it's also very cheap. Sounds like most locksmiths that handle cars do it.

I just tried one in the city, but they didn't do cars so they gave me the number for a locksmith in Woollahra.

Called them and they quoted $35!

Robinsons Locksmiths - 62 Oxford St, Woollahra - (02) 9363 3985

I'm still interested in any advice regarding removing/refitting the lock barrels if anyone has done this before.

Depending on how damaged your old lock is, if the wafers are still in good nick its an easy job..

I dont know if you already removed your old ( smashed ) lock and alloy housing that goes around the steering shaft. If you did you would have noticed the the way it bolts around the shaft, 2 bolts without heads. Thats the reason they told you, you do the bolts up until the heads break off. When you install the new one you really have to use new bolts with heads that snap .

I don't want to go in to more detail on a public forum ( i don't want to tell would be thieves how to ) so P.M. if you want to know more ..

By the way $35 to change the barrel so your old key fits is very reasonable ..