SAU Community

I'm Ready For Coil Overs !

Ryan.R34

Okay, I am ready to get a set of coil overs for the 34 ( Only cause I noticed the scrubadubdub with the new rims, fat tyres and lowered Pedders springs). I only drive the thing 10k's a week so I don't need an uber set. What are my options, and where do I get them between GC and Briz ? And do they all have Homer mode " Car goes up, Car goes down .." Adjustable height thingys. :P

Keep in mind I am an old fart and the last car I did up was a VC HDT Commodore back in 1923, be gentle.

Keep in mind I am an old fart and the last car I did up was a VC HDT Commodore back in 1923, be gentle.

Crap I'm older.

If you have a look around I think Sydneykid on the forum is the one to talk to.

I would look at the Sydneykid group buy on Whiteline gear.

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...c=88141&hl=

My car came with a set of Teins and they are not the most comfortable things to drive on, as is the case with most Jap brand suspension.

The Whiteline package is geared towards Aust. roads and will give the same or better performance, but with a better ride quality.

When I can justify replacing my suspension, this is the route I will be taking.

edit: I am oldest :P

Edited by Lazy-Bastard

join the club i think most of us are old !~!! so am i ! .. i have a set of JIC race coilovers paid 1900 fitted and adjusted to right height for my 20's shop around you might find one cheaper then chips

You can get a few cheapy sets of coilovers that still do a good job. Both the following sets are used by professional drifters, and can be ordered online:

http://www.otomoto.com.au/HDSystems/index.htm

http://www.isc-coilovers.com/Products/

I have a set of HSDs in my 180sx, and while the springs are stiff, the ride is surprisingly good.

I was recently after new suspension too and after talking to a few suspension places they said dont touch anything but the well known brands like tein and whiteline many suspension places are now refusing to fit the Chinese stuff due to the failure rate. Which particular brand and type of suspension will depend on what it will be used for

You can get a few cheapy sets of coilovers that still do a good job. Both the following sets are used by professional drifters, and can be ordered online:

http://www.otomoto.com.au/HDSystems/index.htm

http://www.isc-coilovers.com/Products/

I have a set of HSDs in my 180sx, and while the springs are stiff, the ride is surprisingly good.

The Sydneykid packages would work out to be the same price or cheaper and probably handle better.....

Ryan,

If ur down brisbane southside let me know, will take you for a ride. Have Tein Super Streets Jap version and they are firm and comfortable. Few other guys with 34s have also got the same thing with no complaints. I can point u in the right direction to get a set if ur interedted...bout $1400 brand new and seller is in Brissie too.

Huh? So 2 sets of springs? :laugh:

He already has Pedders springs, I'm guessing with the factory shocks, which are probably on their last legs now after having to cope with lowered springs.

my bad, springs and struts. what was i thinking :ninja:

Id be going the SK group buy stuff. Just go look at his suspension 101 which is stickied in the suspension section. He has the pictures of the valves from a mono shock, and a twin tube (twin tube = japanese coilover). From that alone you cant seriously look at any other option.

And Im guessing Im probably the only person on here who has had full madcore jap shocks, then to the same jap shocks rebuilt but with lower spring rates, then to the same spring rates in the orginal coilover casing with the bilstein inserts. So that way I have had a direct comparison. Trust me, the bilsteins are the ONLY way to go, they are 100% better than shocks that were specifically rebuilt to suit the spring rates and my car.

Id be going the SK group buy stuff. Just go look at his suspension 101 which is stickied in the suspension section. He has the pictures of the valves from a mono shock, and a twin tube (twin tube = japanese coilover). From that alone you cant seriously look at any other option.

And Im guessing Im probably the only person on here who has had full madcore jap shocks, then to the same jap shocks rebuilt but with lower spring rates, then to the same spring rates in the orginal coilover casing with the bilstein inserts. So that way I have had a direct comparison. Trust me, the bilsteins are the ONLY way to go, they are 100% better than shocks that were specifically rebuilt to suit the spring rates and my car.

:)

Man, I was lost at the word Coilovers let alone spring rates, ratio's, mineral composition and pineapples ?. Think I might have to go with n15m0 offer . Thank you very much for the input guys, sorry dangerous_daveo i got a little lost with that, I'm sure everyone else knows what you are saying. I start car, car goes broom and goes that way ------> :)

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...howtopic=114718

Read that.

Basically japanses shocks arent as good as german ones. And their spring rates are too high. Best is normal springs, a little stiffer, and aftermarket sway bars. It will produce the best ride and handeling, which is obviously also the safest.

Okay, I am ready to get a set of coil overs for the 34 ( Only cause I noticed the scrubadubdub with the new rims, fat tyres and lowered Pedders springs). I only drive the thing 10k's a week so I don't need an uber set. What are my options, and where do I get them between GC and Briz ? And do they all have Homer mode " Car goes up, Car goes down .." Adjustable height thingys. :D

G'day Ryan,

Not quite sure what you refer to as "old" but if that means you can remember Queen Elizabeth II's coronation then join the club. Well almost. It happened the year I was born. I have a R34 with 17's fitted with Tein Type Flex and EDFC (spring rates 7/5 front to rear) and while they are on the firm side of good even with the EDFC set on the softest setting, I think the roads down your way would give an acceptable ride. These are Jap Spec ones so may be even better with the "softer" valving found in Tein Oz products.

cheers

Murray

Edited by Muz

Please also note that most good jap coilover systems are monotube.

HKS, Tein Flex, Greddy, JIC etc etc are mostly monotube. But yes, they may have high spring rates.

I think people are misled to think jap coilovers are not monotube.

SK is clearly stating the advantages of a monotube over a twin tube, just make sure you get some monotubes with a goos sized piston if you can (with a reasonable spring rate of course)

I was recently after new suspension too and after talking to a few suspension places they said dont touch anything but the well known brands like tein and whiteline many suspension places are now refusing to fit the Chinese stuff due to the failure rate. Which particular brand and type of suspension will depend on what it will be used for

This isn't an attack on you or these other places. I suspect they are refusing for other reasons, such as wanting you to buy something from them, or maybe they are just too busy. Any decent workshop will never refuse a labour job. I have fitted many parts that I have sourced from the internet, and not once has a workshop refused to fit anything for me.

Suspension is like anything else, you will get good and bad, but you can't say that it is bad just because it dosen't have a long serving brand name. The only failure I have heard about amongst the well known alternative brands are with "D2" coilovers.

ps. I am not sure if you are refferring to the coilovers that I specified in my post, because the HSDs for example come from Korea not China. Both sets that I specified also come with a 12 month warranty including track work.

This isn't an attack on you or these other places. I suspect they are refusing for other reasons, such as wanting you to buy something from them, or maybe they are just too busy. Any decent workshop will never refuse a labour job. I have fitted many parts that I have sourced from the internet, and not once has a workshop refused to fit anything for me.

Suspension is like anything else, you will get good and bad, but you can't say that it is bad just because it dosen't have a long serving brand name. The only failure I have heard about amongst the well known alternative brands are with "D2" coilovers.

ps. I am not sure if you are refferring to the coilovers that I specified in my post, because the HSDs for example come from Korea not China. Both sets that I specified also come with a 12 month warranty including track work.

I was just quoting what half a dozen suspension places said to me.