SAU Community

How To Get Some Induction Noise?

if you put a pod filter on , your car will become more responsive as far as sounds . the stock air box is heaps restrictive . you will get heaps of sound , and your bov will sound heaps louder . car will make a wshhhhh sound .

cheers

pod=wank effect!

stock airbox is fine

in most cases a pod will make u lose power. GTRs are well knwn for that. sigh.. hence its still an airbox. and will stay that way.

how is it that an apexi pod is better than a K&N.. better noise?

better noise = thinner filtering walls

well i would figure that the K&N would be more effective as they do nothing but develop filters. unlike apex'i that have wank products too.

I just finshed putting the stock airbox and stock bov back on mine, the noise just got annoying and in fact I like the sound it has now, its loud enough with a 3.5"all the way through...

I think my driving car is loud enough

lol thanks for the info guys.

alright say if i had a pod for a month, and after i got the cooler and exhuast installed, would it be a good idea to remove the pod and put the standard airbox back on?

^^ no you dont change anything..

Buy your pod.. LEAVE IT FOR EVER!! Lol...

You will need a cold air box also!! Use one that uses stock snorkle.. Or think about which fmic you will be getting in the future..

That is will it use stock piping route (then you will need a cold air box which uses the stock snorkle) Or if the piping goes the other way then get a full inclosed cold air box, and use pvc piping from the bottom to feed in the cold air..

then get a full exhaust system, and a FMIC!!

K&N are supposed to be pretty good in terms of filtration. Theres an air filter review in this months Autosalon magazine. Ive got a Green Cotton pod which is pretty similar to a K&N, theres a website somewhere that compares Green Cotton to K&N (Green Cotton is supposedly better...).

I was reading Auto Salon Mag issue 51 and it had filtration and flow tests on heaps of pod filters... Results were suprising!

The flow test was done on Smiths Engine Research's flow bench.

AEM Dryflow : $100

FLOW : 9TH

FILTRATION : 3RD

APEXI Power Intake : $125

FLOW : 7TH

FILTRATION : 6TH

HKS Direct Drive : $125

FLOW : 6TH

FILTRATION : 9TH

K&R RR-3301 : $125

FLOW : 4TH

FILTRATION : 1ST

REDLINE Airforce 1 : $40

FLOW : 2ND

FILTRATION : 10TH

SIMOTA Power Stack WS-002 : $29.95

FLOW : 3RD

FILTRATION : 5TH

TENZO WS002-CH : $19.95

FLOW : 8TH

FILTRATION : 4TH

3A RACING : $28.95

FLOW : 1ST

FILTRATION : 2ND

TRUST Airinx : $120

FLOW : 5TH

FILTRATION : 7TH

NO NAME (Trust Imitation) : $15

FLOW : 10TH

FILTRATION : 8TH

They said : 3A RACING, in all honesty, to begin with we thought the 3A Racing filter wouldn't be a top performer. Its certianly nasty looking with its yellow and red combination. Upon testing however, our doubts were turned on their heads as the unassuming pleated filter punched out huge figures. With the highest airflow of the bunch and the second best filtration this is definatly a clear cut winner.

If you want a louder induction noise make sure you stop your bov from leaking or get another one... it make's it scream that little bit more coming on boost and yea a pod helps with the induction noise too... besides unless your going to build a 10sec car i wouldn't look into things too much man... just do everything properly and speak to the right tuners..

in most cases a pod will make u lose power. GTRs are well knwn for that. sigh.. hence its still an airbox. and will stay that way.

how is it that an apexi pod is better than a K&N.. better noise?

better noise = thinner filtering walls

well i would figure that the K&N would be more effective as they do nothing but develop filters. unlike apex'i that have wank products too.

i was reading a engineering report, and apexi pods are better made than the k&n ones. who said they are loud? they dont make half of the noise the biltz ones i had....they are far from loud.

A pod is an important thing (or any air filter) its the life of your turbo and engine. By the sounds it seems that u want to skimp on cost for this. Maybe wait until u have more coin n get a decent one that at least filters well.

I was reading the results on this website http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/2/ and it was saying that it actually increased horsepower??? Correct me if im wrong but an exposed pod in the engine bay will infact suck in hotter air hence reducing power and with less filtration properties than the stock box even cause damage to the engine by letting in more foreign particles and cause detonation due to increased stress on engine?? What are the opinions on this.

I realise that you have already purcahsed an K&N setup however I wouldn't recommend using them with any vehicle that uses an AFM or AMM, including all late model skylines. These filter use an oiled element which has the potential to distory the wire contained within the AFM.

If it helps anyone I can supply A'PEXi Power Intake filters and our own mounthing kit for $136.50 delivered, details can be found within the following thread:

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...howtopic=143874

ive read a different air filter study that put the trust airnx on top. how could an oiled filter be good for a hotwire afm?.... my 2cents p.s i dont know how you ppl hear any induction noises lol. maybe my 3.5inch exhaust is just a lil louder?