- How are the new series. eg. Rubicon etc

Rockford Fosgate

- Not the punch series.

MTX

- I didn't have a good experience with a 15 last time

but how are they in 10inch?

Alpine

- I heard the ZR series go well.

I've never heard good things about sony or kenwood subs.

While we are on the top, sound deadening. Anyone done this

to their 33. Someone i know did it to their 33 and from what i've

been told, it costed quite a bit.

Ok..

Depends on budget. I Personally prefer the sound of larger subs, i have a JL15W0. Sounds great. I highly reccomend a JL10W0 or perhaps a 10W3 or W6 however they are more expensive. If you want to spend alot, and want something that sounds really really good.. Audiobahn Alum 10Q's are mad, i'm personally going to get a ALUM15Q in my car :P

Tell me --

a) your budget

B) what amp you plan to run it off

and ill reccomend a couple :P

Someone has something against MTX?

But, have to agree...

Anyway, if your front splits are good enough quality and set up right, then they should go low enough to allow a larger sub, hence a more even response across a greater frequency range hence better sound....you can still get a 12 (or 13) inch sub that will fit in a 1 foot cubed box and sound awesome doing it.

BUT

It all depends on your amplifier and your front stage. Better to match sonic signature with what you have up front..... I love the Focal gear..... a lot of the more commercial brands can tend to rely on marketing and name branding to sell their subs than sound quality. A lot of the time, it is a false economy to go with something mainstream.

Before I send you to sleep... I recommend the Focal Polyglass 33v. 13 inch sub, sealed enclosure, awesome sound quality for the money. I have one in my setup.

Slaz.

Originally posted by Slaz

Someone has something against MTX?

But, have to agree...

Anyway, if your front splits are good enough quality and set up right, then they should go low enough to allow a larger sub, hence a more even response across a greater frequency range hence better sound....you can still get a 12 (or 13) inch sub that will fit in a 1 foot cubed box and sound awesome doing it.

Pft IMO they suck :uh-huh:

i don't think splits should go 'low enough' to get a larger sub with a better response. each individual woofer of different makes have different frequency ranges, there are plenty of 10s that have a wider frequency spectrum than 12s....why should splits go 'low' when there is a sub that is sposed to go 'low'???

splits should cover everything above subass and then some...i understand that if there is a frequency 'gap' between the levels reached in between sub-bass and mid-bass there seems to be an issue, but this is easily solved...you can't simply say that 'better splits should warrant a bigger sub,' traditionally a smaller sub such as a 10 would make the gap between splits and subs smaller due to the higher frequencies that 10s can go to...but this is heavily generalised and subject to each unique woofer's abilities.

decide on the size of the sub you want my working out what bass you are after, and which individual sub suits your music tastes best.

i too am a lover of esoteric stuff, but focal polyglass? cmoooooooooon! :lol: the poly sub is ok but IMO the splits are a lil too harsh for my tastes...utopias are okay thou.

You misunderstand me, Ultimate.

First of all, I agree with your 'MTX sucks' comment.

The ultimate in sound quality would be to have a completely flat response across the entire frequency range. I have said that if you have a good set of splits set up correctly you can have a better than average bass response from them. This allows a greater freedom when it comes to subwoofer selection. A ten inch subwoofer may have been selected because its upper bass response is flatter than a 12 inch. In that context, if your splits have sufficent mid bass response, you can select a larger subwoofer to cover the lower frequencies better. I agree with you that there are some very good 10 inch subwoofers out there that can go amply deep enough, but if you compare a 10 inch sub witha 12 inch subwoofer from the same range, invariably the 12 inch will have the deeper response; hence better overall frequency coverage; hence better sound quality.

3 way splits are better, as in a perfect world, we would have about a thousand speakers all tuned to their little piece of the frequency range. However, I was talking about a simple option of two way splits up front and a single sub down back. I was trying to get the best response as possible with these components.

I do agree with your point of listening to as many different setups as possible to decide what sound you want. For the sake of space, my previous post would be about the first that did not have that comment in it.

And I did not recommend the Polyglass splits. Only the sub. One of the better SQ subs for the money, in my opinion. And yes, Utopia are better, but I was offering a value for money option.

All a matter of taste, as you said.

heh i got my wires crossed, i realised we both agree that mtx sux after posting... :P

flat RTA line, i wish i could achieve that!

yeah i agree with you there on the 3-ways...i was thinking that with a 2-way setup a 10 would be sufficient whereas with a 3-way more bass would need to be exercised

il still shoot for my Audison HR100 with some Vertias HLCD's though...on a side note, anyone know where to demo soundstream's new da vinci subs?

Yeah, so basically what im getting at is that whilst they work, and sound OK, they're DEFINATELY not the best bang-for-your-buck.

I spoke to XRSIST the other day, he's using an Orion amp, 2x200wrms.

Therefore i reccomend JL10W3. They're a good sub for the money. Sound GREAT in a small, sealed box. Louder than you'd expect, and the low RMS rating on them always fools people. I'm telling you now, they're VERY under-rated :)

Ryan

Nah Ryan JL suck! (sorry, in-joke down here. A little competition with a friend who works at Autobarn) . No, really I think I am safe here, so I can say the JL is a nice warm subwoofer.

Haha, Ultimate seems like you have too much money :) Soundstream Da Vinci subs? You may have to go direct to the distributor for that, I imagine if they are as rare as the amps, that there would not too many kicking around....

I will stick with my Focal for now. I really like their sound and besides, being a dealer for them, I can get them much cheaper! :D

I am actually considering running some Peerless home audio drivers with some dummy loads to get them down to four ohms. Their 6.5 inch drivers sound awesome, as do their tweeters. And they have sealed back 4 inch mids, which would be very easy to install.....

Hmmmm.......

Originally posted by Slaz

Nah Ryan JL suck! (sorry, in-joke down here. A little competition with a friend who works at Autobarn) . No, really I think I am safe here, so I can say the JL is a nice warm subwoofer.  

Haha, Ultimate seems like you have too much money :) Soundstream Da Vinci subs? You may have to go direct to the distributor for that, I imagine if they are as rare as the amps, that there would not too many kicking around....

I will stick with my Focal for now. I really like their sound and besides, being a dealer for them, I can get them much cheaper! :D  

I am actually considering running some Peerless home audio drivers with some dummy loads to get them down to four ohms. Their 6.5 inch drivers sound awesome, as do their tweeters. And they have sealed back 4 inch mids, which would be very easy to install.....

Hmmmm.......

Focal dealer? SOB!:confused:

I'm a lil there with hookups for hertz and audison gear, although having focal as an option certainly does raise the possibilities!

lol

I feel sorry for my mate, had four peerless 10s, 3 caved in and 1 he pulled apart to find out why...

:uh-huh:

As for the Da Vinci's- i wouldn't want to buy one just to have a listen to it...if they are that rare stuff it, i'd rather have a sweet sub than a rare as rocking horse **** sub for bragging rights

Hi,

As Slaz said, I am a Focal dealer...and also one for Phoenix Gold.

XrSist, you can pick up a 13 inch Focal from as little as $585

So, not as unaffordable as you would expect....

And, I have just decided that all skylines australia members can have 10% discount. How does that grab ya?

now u tell me

too bad theres no focal or PG in my planned system heh.......

guess the products...... :(

System180.jpg

tho i dont know if ill get that deck still, coz its the old model. might get something not as chunky, with mp3 player... but then again im sq junkie and mp3 = not very good quality....

hrmmmmmm

ill look around when the time comes :)