SAU Community

Flyn Perf dump/front pipe update

For all those interested I installed the dump pipe today, it all bolted up perfectly. You will need to grind a little of the welds off near some bolt holes so the bolt sits flat, while were talking bolts do yourself a favor and get two allen head bolts to replace the two centre bolts as you can't get a socket over these as there right up against the pipe, otherwise it all went well.

As you can see from this pic the main benefit is around the wastegate area....

Thanks turbomad,

So I suppose you would recommend getting it? Is there any chance you could take a pick off it fitted up if it's not to much of a hassle? Hope I'm not asking for to much!

Other than the little grinds you had to perform, did it make the car respond better, sound different? did it come close to touching anything on the floor pan, the reason I'm asking this is because there have been cases where an aftermarket dump/front pipe have touched the floor pan just below the firewall and has caused bad vibration noises due to poor manufacturing.

Last Question, how much larger was the dump opening you bought compared to the original, much larger. I know you posted a pic but it doesn't look much bigger.

Hope I'm not asking for to much turbomad.

Your help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Gianni

Nice mocco's :)

Sorry I meant front pipe :D

/me also waiting to hear your answers to Gianni's questions. Doing mine v.soon buy possibly getting a custom job done now.

You like my grandpa slippers aye! Damn I tried to conceal them and everything.

OK back to the questions, the pipe does not touch any part of the car so there is no vibrations, the pipe is basically your normal 3" round pipe but squashed to fit the shape of the rear of the turbo, so it cannot be any bigger unless the turbo was bigger. The biggest improvement is around the wastegate as the side on pic shows, the stock dump has the wastegate flow hit a wall and then have to squeeze into the main section.

Directly after the turbo the dump is only 2" ID because of the cast sections the factory has built into it so that a socket can fit over the bolt. (this is why I recommend the 2 hex bolts) At the end that bolts to the stock front pipe it is 2.25" ID. So the new dump basically goes out to 3" OD as soon as physically possible.

On the road the car seems to rev out to it's redline alot quicker, I did have a 3" front pipe already on the car, so someone who only had a cat back exhaust will notice more difference, the change in flow may have upset my SAFC settings so the next Skyline Dyno day I will attend and be able to report any power increase or change in power curve.

I have a 4" cat back exhaust (HKS Super Drager with 6" tip) and until 3 weeks ago had the stock front pipe once I changed to this pipe, I noticed that the motor revved much quicker to my 7500 rev limit, in fact it almost snapps there once the foot is buried.

I found when fitting the dump that I could use 12 mm headed bolts (factory is 13mm) in the two middle bolt holes I also re fitted the factory heat sheild which required some modding to the support bracket to fit around the bolt holes also.

I feel this is a worth while mod to do and I am very happy with the result.

Regards Damqik

Thank you turbomad for all your help!

So I suppose you are definetly recommending getting one of these combo pipes? Any chance of letting me know or actually getting a pic of the size bolts you need in the centre you were talking about? would be very helpful!!!

Do you also have a high flow cat turbomad as I would also like to purchase the high flow cat from Flyn as well making sure that it has the flanges come with it so it should bolt straight up to the combo pipe!

Regards,

Gianni

If I had a working scanner I'd scan my dyno graph. I have a 3.25" cat back apexi n1 system with no resonator's so its maximum flow, my best HP with that was 235hp. I then got hold of a 2nd hand trust 3" front pipe and a new dump pipe. The dump pipe flows both exhaust and wastegate gases into the same section, but is obviously much larger and free flowing than the stock one. Peak power gain was only 10hp but full boost (0.85bar) comes on at 2600rpm instead of 3500rpm, so instantly the car is much quicker on the road to drive and boost is much earlier. The dump+front pipe is certainly the next best mod to the cat back exhaust I think.

Gianni, I can definitly recommend the dump/front pipe, once you get the stock dump off take a bolt into a bolt shop and ask for the same thread with a hex nut head instead of the socket head that's all, I used the standard bolts and found the middle two extremely difficult to do up that's why I recomend using the hex ones. Check EBAY aswell as Flyn sell them there for a $230 starting bid. And no I don't have a hiflow cat but it is just over 2.5" ID so I haven't worried about changing it.

Hey turbomad,

One more quick question, sorry about this! but did you need or do you replace any gasket's when changing the front/dump pipe?

Was there a gasket that goes in between the turbo housing & dump pipe? and also in between the front pipe & cat?

Thanks

i still don't understand :D ... can someone edit the pics and post them up again so i can see where the critical points of improvement are?? sorry i'm still a newbie to all this stuff LOL ... i just bought the car for looks to get girls :D

Right,

Well I got home and my inpatient dad and brother had already started putting the thing on! I asked if they had taken a photo and the only one they took was this one attached below.

The pipe itself is well constructed and the mandrel bends are very nice. It opens up right from the turbo housing as opposed to the original cast dump which is flat directly opposite the actuator. Probably not the best explanation and if I had a photo i'd attach it.

Putting it on was a MF to get to the standard bolts. Probably would have been an idea to get the allen key bolts but it is do-able either way. Everything bolted up nicely, we re-used the gasket between the dump and the turbo and used the supplied gasket for connection to the cat.

On the initial drive, the car felt stronger, with noticable response in boost lower in the rev range. Before if i was to put my foot down in third at say 50 it would bog a little, now it boosts up and starts to pull. Top end is even better and once NVCS kicks in, the needle shoots around to redline.

I'd dyno it as i already have before results but I've also added S-AFC and EBC since my last dyno so i couldn't really say. All I know is that seat of the pants, it feels a lot stronger. In my opion, money VERY WELL SPENT.:D:)

Hope you find this helpful. Sorry about the pic.

Cheers :burnout: