SAU Community

Rear End Whine On 32 Gtr

Parker

Hi Guys,

I have a 89 32 GTR with approx. 360rwhp. After a night at the drags i have started to notice a slight whine (definately not a clunk or grinding sound) that has been getting slightly louder over the past week. The symptoms are as follows:

The whine is only noticeable in the 1,900 - 2,400 rev range in 3rd - 5th gear (I'm sure its there in 1 + 2 as well but engine/exhaust noise mask it)

The pitch of the whine is louder with load i.e. engine braking or accel

The whine is there in nuetral or clutch in at the above revs (i.e. while coasting)

The noise is there whether the car is in 4wd or 2wd (i have a switch)

I've checked the rear diff oil fluid and it was fine and in good condition (but replaced it anyway with new stuff) The gear and clutch pedal feel are still fine and the car felt great at the drags so i dont think anything has drastically let go in this department. The gearbox is also relatively fresh with a complete overhaul being carried out less than 15K ago.

The tailshaft has always had a slight leak from the centre bearing (noticed because of a small quantity of sand/oil covering the floor pan tunnel) and i am guessing (with my limited mechanical knowledge) that the drags has finally made this part throw in the towel and that this is where the sound is coming from.

Does anyone else have some suggestions for me to look at before she goes to the mechanics next week.

Cheers,

Parker

I've put the correct castrol fluid in the diff (cant remember the exact name but according the the workshop manual its the right stuff - hypoid, GL5 rated etc) and the whine has got a little more noticeable in the 4 days since changing it.

If it is the bearings in the diff any idea of cost to recondition it? i know that when i had my HR31 longnose R200 rebuilt and shimmed tighter it cost me about $500.

Thanks guys.

Righto, we have an update.

On a whim i thought i'd jack one side of the car and see if the lsd action was still going on...and it wasn't :D

So rebuild or new aftermarket 1.5way? i think it'll come down to time off the road and convenience for me.

i hope not. yeah your stock 2way is not really strong. the clutches brake apart really easily.

your case might just be a case of bits of friction plate going thru the gears. and marking them. :(

mine im pretty sure is ive somehow given it abit of extra backlash by dumping the clutch at 8 grand and it just biting and stalling the car. i think its moved or worn one of the side bearings

Currently having a scope around for a second hand diff that i can get recoed and beefed up a little but not having much luck here in Perth. If nothing turns up by wednesday this week i think i'll be buying an after market 1.5way and whacking new bearings etc in there.