SAU Community

Nitrous going on.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He sure did..... And I'm inclined to agree... He'd better get a 12 without putting on the NO5 kit, 'cause if the kit goes on, everyone will be suspisios....

And Rev, why the hell do you have a V8 Volvo Wagon.... I guess you might call it the ULTIMATE sleeper.... Take it to the strip, i wanna see a time for that beast..... then take photo's of the look of the guy in the proton who thinks he actually had a chance in a drag.....

S of S

The 5L engine in the volvo has forged L34 pistons and forged rods, arp rod bolts, ported head with stainless L34 valves, adjustable billet roller rockers etc. But the camshaft is very mild and the auto is a stocker. It probably will pull a low 14 without too much hassle, with a shift kit and a mild stall converter it would make a 13second pass no problems. The thing is since it's the wife's main transport the use on the drag strip is forbidden.

Soulja,

NOS = 'fake horspower', is a silly thing to say. It certainly doesn't feel fake and most of the ' but you cheated....nitrous is only for cars without any real power..' comments come from people who you just beat. Take a drive in a car with a nitrous kit and I'm sure you will change your mind (haven't met a person yet who didn't like it ALOT ).

As for the 12 without nitrous: I've got the kit on now (no gas in the bottle tho') and I'm very keen to do a few passes with and a few without to add to the knowledge base. It will be as plain as day the difference between NOS on and NOS off.

Hey Rev when would you use the NOS in the drag, would it be like FastnFurious and just a quick squirt in high rpm or would you use it for the entire 1/4 in every gear. I know some VL's use it to just launch off the line, then there massive turbo's do the rest.

Guest INASNT
Originally posted by turbomad

Hey Rev when would you use the NOS in the drag, would it be like FastnFurious and just a quick squirt in high rpm or would you use it for the entire 1/4 in every gear. I know some VL's use it to just launch off the line, then there massive turbo's do the rest.

i think rev is gonna copy paul walker and have a laptop in the car measuring manifold pressure and warning him that there will be damage to manifold but he will say shut up and hit the second stage of nitrous and say 'see yaaa' and win the race!!

:P

rolleyes.gif @ all the narrow minded, anti-nitrous people.

You remind me of the same, narrow-minded, anti-turbo, V8 brigade 15-20 years ago who called turbochargers "cheating", and the shunned new technology. Mostly after their pride and joy GTHO was just chopped HARD by a turbocharged Charade (true story acutally)...

Nitrous is just another form of forced induction, and although limited and specific in it's uses, I would HARDLY call it cheating. That just seems to be the most common losers' warcry.

Hi Shuto-Boy, "how much would it cost to refill the bottle?" Not much, just go to your local, friendly dentist and ask for a top up of pain relief. It's been almost 24 hours since I heard about this and I am still laughing so much my ribs ache.

Soulja said , "nos = fake hp" not entirely true, my belief is NOS = temporary horsepower, very temporary.

Do the numbers, at 6,000 rpm you give it a 50 bhp squirt of giggle juice for what, 0.4 seconds? That means you have a 350 bhp engine for 40 revolutions of the crankshaft and a 300 bhp engine for 1,160 revolutions in a 12 second 1/4 run.

I don't know about you, but I'd much rather have a 350 bhp engine for the whole 1,200 revolutions. In fact, I'd much rather have 350 bhp all the time, not just phisssst and it's gone. But hay, some people would be very happy with a 0.4 second quicky.

Plus you just gotta ask ...........

If my dentist gives it to me to inhale and make me laugh when he is ripping my teeth out, it can't be that bad, can it?

And it comes in a pressurised bottle like the LPG taxis use all the time, it can't be that bad can it?

If it ain't that bad, how come it's illegal?

Let me quote from the Boston Medical Journal......

"the hypoxia resulting from high enough concentrations of nitrous oxide may result in irreversible brain damage."

"use of it can damage the bone marrow and nervous system"

"nitrous oxide rapidly leads to complete loss of motor control, and anyone who breathes it while standing will soon reel about and fall down"

"nausea, neuropathy and myeloneuropathy"

"hyperesthesia, hyperalgesia and hyperhomocysteinemia"

"serious mood and personality changes"

"nitrous does kill brain cells"

"severe bilateral sensory dystaxia"

And the best one of all

"This 36-year old electrical engineer came to the emergency room complaining that he was unable to walk. Symptoms had begun 4 days earlier with "pins and neeedles" in both feet that gradually worsened and ascended to involve the knees and the fingertips. With worsening of the paresthesias (-no sense of touch or pain-) he noted difficulty in maintaining proper control of the movements of his arms and hands and trouble in walking. He also reported the sensation of electric shocks through his back and legs upon flexion of the neck. He denied bladder or bowel impairment but he had been unable to have an erection for the past week."

That's it, no NOS for me.

Guest INASNT

The stuff the doctors use is not as atrong as the industrial stuff!

When i used to work at a lab the BOC gases truck used to come every 2 days and replace the NOS bottles. We used to use NOS to clean sensitive measuring equipement! The big bottles aint cheap to replace.

Was so tempting to steal 1 of the bottles, but it was monitored 24hrs a day.

I remember the younger days where the doc would say 'tell me when you feel you feet tingling'.. I kept saying nope nope nope.. until he said well thats the most i can give you.. :)

Maybe thats what happened to me... dead brain cells. :P

That definately explains the crap acting, crap story and load of crap in "The Fast NOS and the NOS Furious"....

Its like The Fat Pizza Movie Song "chix chix chix" and "Subwoofer Subwoofer", only replace it with "NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS".

Buy PERMANENT Horsepower, not Temporary Horsepower....

S of S

Originally posted by Sydneykid

Hi Shuto-Boy, "how much would it cost to refill the bottle?"  Not much, just go to your local, friendly dentist and ask for a top up of pain relief.  It's been almost 24 hours since I heard about this and I am still laughing so much my ribs ache.

Soulja said , "nos = fake hp"  not entirely true, my belief is NOS = temporary horsepower, very temporary.

Do the numbers, at 6,000 rpm you give it a 50 bhp squirt of giggle juice for what, 0.4 seconds?  That means you have a 350 bhp engine for 40 revolutions of the crankshaft and a 300 bhp engine for 1,160 revolutions in a 12 second 1/4 run.

I don't know about you, but I'd much rather have a 350 bhp engine for the whole 1,200 revolutions.  In fact, I'd much rather have 350 bhp all the time, not just phisssst and it's gone.   But hay, some people would be very happy with a 0.4 second quicky.

Right. You have just proved that you have abosolutely ZERO idea about nitrous oxide. After replying to this post, I shall ignore all subsequent posts from you on this topic.

Who the hell squirts nitrous at 6000rpm? It is recommended to be activated at 3000rpm, or lower for internally strengthened engines (stronger rods). That 40 revolutions bullshit is the weakest load of bullshit I have ever heard spouted as argument against nitrous EVER. Thanks for making me sit at my computer staring in bewilderment that someone actually wrote and believed that rubbish.

Built engines can activate nitrous right off the starting line and hold it activated all the way down the strip... More stock cars usually have to wait until the clutch is fully engaged before activating nitrous, at which stage they should be way above 3000rpm anyway, so they're using nitrous from about 30 foot until the end of the 1/4 mile.

What the hell was that about 0.4 seconds???? :bahaha: :bahaha: :bahaha:

Originally posted by Sydneykid

Plus you just gotta ask ...........

If my dentist gives it to me to inhale and make me laugh when he is ripping my teeth out, it can't be that bad, can it?

And it comes in a pressurised bottle like the LPG taxis use all the time, it can't be that bad can it?

If it ain't that bad, how come it's illegal?

Let me quote from the Boston Medical Journal......

"the hypoxia resulting from high enough concentrations of nitrous oxide may result in irreversible brain damage."

"use of it can damage the bone marrow and nervous system"

"nitrous oxide rapidly leads to complete loss of motor control, and anyone who breathes it while standing will soon reel about and fall down"

"nausea, neuropathy and myeloneuropathy"

"hyperesthesia, hyperalgesia and hyperhomocysteinemia"

"serious mood and personality changes"

"nitrous does kill brain cells"

"severe bilateral sensory dystaxia"  

And the best one of all

"This 36-year old electrical engineer came to the emergency room complaining that he was unable to walk. Symptoms had begun 4 days earlier with "pins and neeedles" in both feet that gradually worsened and ascended to involve the knees and the fingertips. With worsening of the paresthesias (-no sense of touch or pain-) he noted difficulty in maintaining proper control of the movements of his arms and hands and trouble in walking. He also reported the sensation of electric shocks through his back and legs upon flexion of the neck. He denied bladder or bowel impairment but he had been unable to have an erection for the past week."

That's it, no NOS for me.

And what in God's name is this rubbish? You're injecting it into your engine as an extra source of oxygen, not inhaling it.

You have just surpassed your previous paragraphs in the "WTF-o-meter scale" with this medical drivel as argument against nitrous in an automotive application.

I must say, with no animosity or rudeness, that after reading this post, you have lost a lot of my respect as a source of automotive knowledge. Utter drivel.

sydneykid,

its not illegal to purchase nitrousoxide, in fact it is used in soda bottle dipensers. Nitrous oxide has been used safely for many years as an anesthetic an although you have provided a substancial list of harmfull effects you have also forgotten to provide the required exposure and concentration required to induce any of these symptoms. to put it in perspective the fuel you put in your engine has far more oppertunity to harm your brain or kill you oughtright in far less time and quantity. A full bottle of scotch has more chance of hurting you than a bottle of nitrous oxide the same size and consumed at the same rate.

To use the same basis of argument you have taken you must have given up driving a petrol powered car too. After all it's petrol isn't it.

"Temporary horsepower" you forget that the engine you speak of is only at the same power level for the same period of time if it does the same time over the 1/4. NO wait! Because nitrous adds 100HP at any rev range you actually spend the same revs with bigger power (thanks to nitrous having superior torque).

Respect the decision to forgo the NOS all the same :)

Yes, I read that reply before you deleted it Son of Sydney Kid.

Perhaps you should let your father do the replying, lest you make more of a fool of yourself and have to resort to deleting your posts again.

OK merli, I used 6,000 rpm as an example, so squirt it at 3,000 rpm, that means it's only good for 20 revolutions out of the 1,200. That's even more "temporary".

If my numbers are wrong, then tell me yours. I am here to learn like everyone else, help me out.

Moving on .................

Last time I checked, driving around with an armed bottle of NOS in the car was illegal in almost every country. Why do think that's the case?

It can't be that it is in a pressurised bottle, LPG comes that way and it's not illegal. It can't be because of it's engine power generating capabilities, a big turbo has more potential there, plus that isn't temporary.

Help me out again, why do you think it's illegal to carry NOS around, armed in your car?

Dam, I forgot to answer revs question. The problem with NOS is that it is basically odourless, colour less and tasteless. Unlike petrol, which is none of those, you could be inhaling it now and not even know it. Just imagine unknowingly getting a lungful and then getting in your car and driving. I don't have to imagine, I saw it and the idiot using the NOS killed 5 people including himself.

That's why I'm not really laughing.

It's a fire hazard AND it's use is racing derived (unlike LPG and unlike a large turbo). In some states the fitment of a bottle issolation switch is all that is necessary to make it legal on the road (provided the switch is off :) ) It is not illegal in almost every country, and it isn't illegal in every state.

Correct installation of a nitrous system see's the bottle placed in a vented position that is 'sealed off' from the driving cabin.

Incorrect insatllation of a nitrous system see's the bottle placed next to you with one line feeding a face mask and the other the engine via a hole right next to the cigarete lighter.

There are facts availible for you to view sydneykid on nitrous use in australia at this website: www.ozrace.com . I appologise if I have left anything out of the discussion, I'm keen for all involved to arrive at a reasonable understanding.