SAU Community

My Gauge Cluster Lights Not Working After Stereo Install..

Hey guys,

i recently got a stereo installed by JB since it was close to me, the convience was great - I thought..

When i drove out everything looked fine. I was only looking at it last night in the garage when i noticed that the beeper feature on my 33 was no longer working nor were the lights behind the cluster that illuminate the readings.. - if it helps, the indicators still light when enabled.

I spoke to a mate thats a mechanic last night but i had checked all the suspected fuses and they all look fine - we both concluded a dud connection somewhere??

if this is the case, where can i find the connections that power these sorts features in the car?

or have we got any ideas as to what it could be??

and yes ive learnt a very good lesson here today..

Thanks guys - theres always fantastic info given when i ask. much apprieciated.

Mitch.

so theres no need to give you grief :)

lok to see if you have tail lights as well. if so then you proably have a dimmer knob drilled into your dash like most of them. check that. its a common thing to forget to connect it.

Not that serious buddy!!

NEVER USE SO CALLED "PROFESSIONALS" THAT BUTCHER YOUR CAR AND CHARGE BIG $$$'s FOR SHIT WORK. :)

You will need to remove the head unit and relocate the GROUND wire of the head unit.

They have spliced into a wire that is a "fulse ground", as when you turn the lights on it becomes 12V, this wire should be used to dim your stereo (if it has that feature). Easist fix is to disconnect your stereo ground and secure it to bare metal (chasis point).

There should be a blown fuse, do not know where it is on a Skyline, make sure you check all fuses is all 3 locations (Engine bay, under dash and boot (near battery).

ok, now im pissed off. do you suggest i go back to JB or would you be able to help me out chris??

yes im in west brisbane, you able to do come out that way at all? yeh i dont wanna stuff this up anymore and i dont know what do to with JB's Quality issues.. department of fair trading?

ill have to get someone else in i suppose this is rediculous - the install cost $300.00

thanks guys :)

I just spoke to the manager and told him the situation, im gunna take it back in to get fixed up free of charge

(which you would expect) - just the effort.. why not the first time..

Thanks Chris I apprieciate it, fingers crossed they can get it right the second time around.

yeh it was JB Indro - the customer service of some of the staff were pretty second rate too

Did you get my PM at all Chris?

Umm have you checked the fuses in the boot? There is one there that controls the tail lights and the dash cluster light (yep 1 fuse for those 2 things, wierd).... just replace it, and it should be fine, they may have shorted something accidentally when installing, it's not a big deal, i've done the same thing when removing my dash once... It's pretty common. Obviously if you replace the fuse and it blows again, then there is something wrong with the wiring that needs to be checked..

Thanks Chris I apprieciate it, fingers crossed they can get it right the second time around.

yeh it was JB Indro - the customer service of some of the staff were pretty second rate too

didn't see a PM. if you dont get it sorted give me a ring. (actaully pm me wouldn't mind a chat..)

did you ring me? (878 number?)

look under the dash drivers side and in the boot AND in the engine bay. the one you want is in the dash. dont replace it until the radio is redone. you will be wasting a fuse..

Umm have you checked the fuses in the boot? There is one there that controls the tail lights and the dash cluster light (yep 1 fuse for those 2 things, wierd).... just replace it, and it should be fine, they may have shorted something accidentally when installing, it's not a big deal, i've done the same thing when removing my dash once... It's pretty common. Obviously if you replace the fuse and it blows again, then there is something wrong with the wiring that needs to be checked..

Not really that weird Drew, by having no dash lights, it warns you (or someone that knows) that your tail lights are out. Unlike your head lights it is hard for the driver to tell if they have a problem with the tail lights.

You had the headunit, fronts speakers and rear speakers done?

your mum dropped the car off for you as you were at work

you didnt have the required brackets to mount the deck and pocket properly, and didnt want to go to nissan to get them.

They sales guy was Dan, he spend a couple of hours looking at the car and didnt see the big hole in your dash. Your mum called him rude and unhelpful.

We looked at it in the fitting bay and picked it straight away. advised your mum that brackets were needed, but would see what we could do - ended up getting around it without the brackets.

The problem with the dash lights is the dome light fuse is blown and needs to be fixed. already know about it and have the fuse on the front bench for when your car comes in, by the sounds of it 1 wire needs to be swapped in the loom, looks like the apprentice hit the illumination slot by accident instead of the earth.

its under warrenty and should only take 15min to fix and check to make sure its all 100%.

sorry for the inconvenience, i know i made the same mistake when i started doing headunits, but its easy to fix.

by the way - nice skyline, nice and clean, still factory black paint job looks very tidy

edit: spelling....

2nd edit... your in chapel hill, just down the road from me. seen your car around, i thought i recognised it at work.

Edited by Cleutin

Hi Cleutin, your one of the installers i take it?

I had the head-deack, splits and 6x9"s installed in the car - thanks for the comments :P

I was informed after that there was an apprentice working there to, thats fine i understand that these things happened - im actually doing a traineeship atm so i understand completely.

Yeh i tried another fuse on the as a replacement for the broken one i found in the boot, must be the wiring as you've said i guess.

Ill see you guys on tuesday then - thanks cleutin :)

Yeh that was me Chris, sorry to call you so late, i knocked off one of the other fuses for the interior light yet it still works.. ill probably need a pack of fuses or something.