SAU Community

R33. Mod Or Not To Mod?

hey all

ive got a 1989 S3 4-door, manual, n/a R31 for weekdays/work and a 1997 S2 R33 2 door, manual, turbo for weekends.

only mods i have is apexi pod filter and blocked off bov...yes i am a wanker who loves the flutter.

i have recently just got a bodykit fitted (sides n rear) but left the front stock as i am still undecided as what to do with it..

the stock S2 front looks neat but the sides n back are much lower to the ground as you can see in this pic.

post-12658-1179741784_thumb.jpg

i would like to get a decent fmic and front bar installed at the same time as the guy that did the rest of the kit is a mechanic aswell.

that way if he needs to mod the bar to fit the cooler piping he can do so.

i pretty much wanna keep the car stock as in november my insurance/rego is up and ive decided that from that day im not puting any more $$ into the car im gonna save for exactly one year....sell the R33 november 2008, buy a 2000-2002 S2 R34 2-door, manual, turbo.

i dont mind the idea of boosting the car the little if i boost controllers arnt too much. but forget the idea of doing exhaust,ecu. not interested..too much dollars.

what options do i have as far as getting a decent sized front mount intercooler and boost controller? will this work? will it add much power? will it give me a LOUDER flutter?

any advice is much apreciated. thanks guys n gals

Hey mate, I would say that you should get atleast a second hand exhaust before the FMIC. You need the car to breathe a little easier before boosting it. But if you still don't want the exhaust, you can buy a manual boost controller for as little as $25 including postage off ebay.

And to answer your question of "will it add much power?" you will gain power but not much. Getting a FMIC will make the flutter echo more that's for sure.

In my opinion, get a exhaust first. Try looking for a cheap second hand one.

Your car looks good :D

Cheers,

Adam

Edited by adam-__-

hmm.. corrct me anyone if im wrong, but isnt blocking your bov really bad.

dont know why you would risk the health of your turbo for "the flutter" sound

hmm.. corrct me anyone if im wrong, but isnt blocking your bov really bad.

dont know why you would risk the health of your turbo for "the flutter" sound

Some say it'll destroy your turbo and some will say it won't do anything. Running higher than standard boost is risking the turbos health, but people still do it. Who cares :D

Cheers

true. i just personally thought it was really harmful.

the more you suck in, with a FMIC and up the boost, the more air/gas has got to pass through the exhaust. so personally i would get an upgraded exhaust before uping the boost

hey all

ive got a 1989 S3 4-door, manual, n/a R31 for weekdays/work and a 1997 S2 R33 2 door, manual, turbo for weekends.

only mods i have is apexi pod filter and blocked off bov...yes i am a wanker who loves the flutter.

i have recently just got a bodykit fitted (sides n rear) but left the front stock as i am still undecided as what to do with it..

the stock S2 front looks neat but the sides n back are much lower to the ground as you can see in this pic.

post-12658-1179741784_thumb.jpg

i would like to get a decent fmic and front bar installed at the same time as the guy that did the rest of the kit is a mechanic aswell.

that way if he needs to mod the bar to fit the cooler piping he can do so.

i pretty much wanna keep the car stock as in november my insurance/rego is up and ive decided that from that day im not puting any more $$ into the car im gonna save for exactly one year....sell the R33 november 2008, buy a 2000-2002 S2 R34 2-door, manual, turbo.

i dont mind the idea of boosting the car the little if i boost controllers arnt too much. but forget the idea of doing exhaust,ecu. not interested..too much dollars.

what options do i have as far as getting a decent sized front mount intercooler and boost controller? will this work? will it add much power? will it give me a LOUDER flutter?

any advice is much apreciated. thanks guys n gals

Probably would get an exhaust for about grand or so (x-force is a good one to get for under a grand through just jap). Then get an r34 smic - good for 200rwkws. keep boost at around 11 or 12 psi with stock turbo (might have to get aftermarket ecu). That should keep you happy till you get a 34 gtt i think. :D

if i dont boost my car and put on a fmic will it add much power? i imagine cool air cant be bad for it.

p.s. you can argue all night long about blocking off the bov isnt good. ive ran it for 3 months and no probs except stalling but once u learn how to drive it your sweet. i havnt stalled my 33 since the 1st time i drove it with the blocked off bov. i know a guy thats had it for a year...and heard of others thats had it for 2+ years. no probs.

if i dont boost my car and put on a fmic will it add much power? i imagine cool air cant be bad for it.

p.s. you can argue all night long about blocking off the bov isnt good. ive ran it for 3 months and no probs except stalling but once u learn how to drive it your sweet. i havnt stalled my 33 since the 1st time i drove it with the blocked off bov. i know a guy thats had it for a year...and heard of others thats had it for 2+ years. no probs.

that flutter noise is compressor surge and there isnt any agruement about it, it is not a good thing. Thats why big car companies like nissan and toyota that have some sort of reliablity to live by install a recirculating bov to help this, if it wasnt needed they wouldnt bother spending money on it, simple. Running no bov isnt going to destroy the turbo in a matter months, so dont think just because it hasnt gone bang in 3 months of driving that its ok.

Besides the fact that it will shorten the life of the turbo, that "cool" sound is actually making you car slower since you turbo has too spool harder after each gear change just to get to wastegate pressure. Running no bov with higher than stock boost imo is just silly.

Anywho, back to the main question, a aftermarket fmic like hybrid will make nice even gains throughout the rev range even at stock boost, just dont expect a massive jump in power. Raising the boost with the stock exhaust wont be a problem, but your just not getting as much as you could out of the car. You will notice more of a power increase with an exhaust than a fmic at stock levels.

Get a turbo back exhaust, you will notice the extra power instantly. I got one for $980 delivered with a split dump pipe from Just Jap.

Let us know when your turbo goes.

Edited by CCCP

Get a turbo back exhaust, you will notice the extra power instantly. I got one for $980 delivered with a split dump pipe from Just Jap.

Let us know when your turbo goes.

will do. carefactor 0 really. i can get a recon'd turbo from an R33 s2 for cheap as... big deal...im selling the car in 18 months anyway. the turbo wont go on stock boost.

like i said. i am a wanker who loves the flutter. i dont really mind if the turbo's life is slightly shorened even though ive seen a thread on these very forums that was something like 10 pages long with arguements and no one had said thir turbo had gone because they blocked it off..

and R34GTFOUR my car goes faster now. the boost kicks in earlier, not as much lag.

and R34GTFOUR my car goes faster now. the boost kicks in earlier, not as much lag.

what you just mentioned has absolutely nothing to do with blocking off the recirculating valve, like said before it WILL great more lag which will make it slower than a stock gts-t but like you said your carefactor is 0 for the life of the turbo so its not worth mentioning. I wouldnt of thought that you would intentionally make you car slower though...

If you'd like to 'save' money to buy a GTT then don't mod the R33. Seriously it IS an addiction. :) You start by just spending a bit here, then you'll run into a problem with this, and then get something else to fix that, then since you're doing that you might as well do this. It can start to end up being pretty expensive when you start to mod the car.

In your feet I would not save up for a GTT as the amount of money you'd have to save up to put ontop of the sale of your car to get the GTT can be used on your GTS-T to make it a weapon. Say in at the end of next year the the average price of a GTS-T is around ~12k and the price of a GTT drops to say ~20k. Thats around $8000 you can spend to make your car a much nicer car then a fairly standard GTT. Plus you'd have been able to keep the car for that time and enjoy it for that long.

Thats just my opinion though. :P

if your gonna quote me atleast use the full sentence. otherwise "...i am a wanker..." to show theres more i said.

anyway ive spoken to mick at micolor he recons. a fmic with a bleed valve wont hurt.

by the way R34GTFOUR, if your've never blocked off your bov don't try and tell me it dosnt add power. ive done it and instantly noticed the lack of lag. boost isnt as punchy on and off.

unless you enjoy the flutter and blocked off your bov R34GTFOUR? from the short novel you wrote dissing it and how bad it is i'm assuming you are talking about something yourve never tried.