SAU Community

Fibre Glass Vs Carbon Fibre Bonnets

Yes ... Bonnets other than your factory ones are not approved. Reasons being they shatter during accidents, causing sharpnel type of injuries, crumple/bend zone is not there.

But there are some who swear by their CF bonnets that the 100% CF are actually much more tougher than factory OEM bonnets. This is really yet proven and documented.

Just my .5cts worth =)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest RedLineGTR
But there are some who swear by their CF bonnets that the 100% CF are actually much more tougher than factory OEM bonnets. This is really yet proven and documented.  

Just my .5cts worth =)

Thought that was true myself!!! but i doubt trying to explain it to the police :P

Guest RedLineGTR
hahahaa ... the prices on the website - $3,700.00 a pop for the dry CF bonnets

ermmm .... I think i would be better of getting a generic wet CF bonnet from Taiwan and use the rest of the money for a holiday or some other mods.

heehee

hahahaah lolz :P But in professional racing in Japan a bonnet that would weigh 2.2kg would be beneficial for track racing etc. Not that i would spend that much myself :(

Yes ... Bonnets other than your factory ones are not approved. Reasons being they shatter during accidents, causing sharpnel type of injuries, crumple/bend zone is not there.  

Just my .5cts worth =)

OEM bonnets are designed to be part of the crumple zone which spreads an impact longer over time reducing the force on the passengers.

If the bonnet is weaker, it weakens the crumple zone.

If the bonnet is stronger, it wont crumple and will go through the windscreen taking your heads off with it.

I dont see the point really but thats just me. I dont have a purple atmo venting BOV either so I guess you can tell where I am coming from.

OEM bonnets are designed to be part of the crumple zone which speads an impact longer over time reducing the force on the passengers.

If the bonnet is stronger, it wont crumple and will go through the windscreen taking your heads off with it.

I dont see the point really but thats just me. I dont have a purple atmo venting BOV either so I guess you can tell where I am coming from.

yes ya right. It all depends on each perspective and how ricey they wish their rides to be. No offense to those with such bonnets, because I also have the bonnet for my own and selling them too!!

Rice or not rice, I guess its also considered an art, just like drifting. you might be surprised at how artistic ricey some cars worldwide can grab your attention and leave you lingering with thoughts ... heheheheeee

my .5cts worth :P

OEM bonnets are designed to be part of the crumple zone which spreads an impact longer over time reducing the force on the passengers.

well said. Also I've seen a few carbon fibre bonnets that don't have hinge locks/catches (can't think of their proper name). when the bonnnet is closed on most cars there is a small metal piece that sticks up into the bonnet next to the hinge mounts, if the car is in an accident they prevent the bonnet from flying back through the windscreen if the hinges fail.

some carbon fibre bonnets don't have the right holes in the underbonnnet frame work, so the catches don't do their job properly.

also, if your only after them for the wank factor I think supercheap and roughtobarn sell rolls of stick on carbon look plastic sheets like contact. :headspin: :wassup:

picked up a fibreglass bonnet today vented for $740. carbon fibre one was $1200, but its essentially just a fibreglass one with 3 carbon fibre skin layers... so its not really worth the extra $500 or so... so yeah... i guess you save on painting and thats it!!!

picked up a fibreglass bonnet today vented for $740.  carbon fibre one was $1200, but its essentially just a fibreglass one with 3 carbon fibre skin layers...  so its not really worth the extra $500 or so... so yeah... i guess you save on painting and thats it!!!

OMG ... FG going for 740!? With additional CF linings going for 1.2 large!? What car are your driving? R33??

This has been done a million and one times guys.......those bonnets are 1 layer c/f with the rest chopped strad and a plastic inner frame laminated on the inside.....In my opinion they are poorly laminated and dont offer ANY structural support what so ever......the genuine c/f bonnets from high class company's do what there made to do....and that is be extremly strong and very light....not just for looks.....and to those who say there not strong....what about a 34 GTR V spec II bonnet?There standard issue!Not to mention its commonly used on many supercars such as lambo's and ferrari....

This has been done a million and one times guys.......those bonnets are 1 layer c/f with the rest chopped strad and a plastic inner frame laminated on the inside.....In my opinion they are poorly laminated and dont offer ANY structural support what so ever......the genuine c/f bonnets from high class company's do what there made to do....and that is be extremly strong and very light....not just for looks.....and to those who say there not strong....what about a 34 GTR V spec II bonnet?There standard issue!Not to mention its commonly used on many supercars such as lambo's and ferrari....

I agree with Troy.

If you want one for looks, go for it, but don't kid yourself you are getting the benefits of C/F without dropping some serious coin.

I have spoken to the RTA signatories about C/F panels and bonnets. Yes they are illegal (unless factory fitted, obviously) and will require engineering (in NSW anyway).

Lucien.

bonnet pin or hood pins?

I dunno if your post was in response to my post, but seeing as it was straight after I'll assume it was....

I wasn't talking about anything at the front of the bonnet , but at the back where it's hinged. theres a small bit of metal on each side, next to the hinges which hooks into the bonnet framework.(on alot, but not all cars)