SAU Community

Boost Troubles

D3RV

Hey guys, today I was driving the stag, and decided to give it a bit of gas after driving it for about 5-10 minutes. Only from 0-50km or so. Usually the car has no troubles at all, however today was different. As the car reached around 3k+ it started to shudder a little.. Or to put it another way, the boost cuts off, then back on and off quite rapidly 1-2 times per second. Feels like the car is breaking then going then breaking.. You get the idea..

Really weird, this happened on the way to uni, then I warmed the car up, and tried to give it a little on the way home to see if the same thing would happen again... It did.

I checked my engine bay after the incident, and everything looked fine, no smoking, no odd smells, no signs of wear or oddities. It just seems extremely perculiar to happen all of a sudden.

The car has only done 55,000 odd kms (00 model series 2). If anyone could give some insight into this problem it would be much appreciated.

-Dervish

i seem to be experiencing the same thing... you done any mods recently. mine happened when i put my hi flo cat and dump in so i thought it could be hitting r&r. may just be a coincidence. also you may just be getting a missfire so check your plugs. thats my next thing to check

i seem to be experiencing the same thing... you done any mods recently. mine happened when i put my hi flo cat and dump in so i thought it could be hitting r&r. may just be a coincidence. also you may just be getting a missfire so check your plugs. thats my next thing to check

Hey bud, the only thing I've done recently is throw in an apexi pod. Only performance mods I have is a 3" from the cat. However since throwing on the pod (2-3 months ago) everything has been great until today. I just can't put my finger on it.

Sounds like it could be coil-packs, but it all depends on how pronounced it is. Coil-packs feel like the car is stuttering I guess.

from my limited knowledge of Stageas and Skylines.. my money would be on the coilpacks as Cy mentioned.

I think its an " across the board " problem with those motors.

Apparently you can tape them up ( provides a bit of insulation / stops the spark jumping to ground )

or you can get em new for around $550 I beleive.

Croydon Racing Developments have an ad somewhere on here stating they will beat any price etc.

could be a number of issues.

what was the air temperature? was it real cold? could be R&R.

Id suggest changing plugs to .8mm gapped copper plugs, and silicone up all the coil packs, use Selleys Industrial Silicone Sealant 401, high temperature stuff seeing its in your motor, get it from a hardware store for $12. Apply liberally all around the coil packs to stop wasted spark.

If that doesnt help, purchase a safc2 and get a dynotune done, that'll map around the R&R if that is infact the problem.

Regret to inform, but it could also be your turbo spitting bits of the wheel off. It could be either of the wheels too, mine had a few chipped ceramic turbine wheels, and the nylon compressor wheel shattered completely when the shaft gave way!

I got that sort of shuddering just before my turbo blew about a year and a half ago.

when i upped the boost on mine without the controller,i blocked the hose with a fuse that was quite open,and had to change to a smaller one because the boost was doing the shudder,the smaller fuse fixed it and had no drama since,so to cut a long story short,maybe check all turbo hoses,the boost solenoid,make sure they are on properly,hope it helps

Hey guys, today I was driving the stag, and decided to give it a bit of gas after driving it for about 5-10 minutes. Only from 0-50km or so. Usually the car has no troubles at all, however today was different. As the car reached around 3k+ it started to shudder a little.. Or to put it another way, the boost cuts off, then back on and off quite rapidly 1-2 times per second. Feels like the car is breaking then going then breaking.. You get the idea..

Really weird, this happened on the way to uni, then I warmed the car up, and tried to give it a little on the way home to see if the same thing would happen again... It did.

I checked my engine bay after the incident, and everything looked fine, no smoking, no odd smells, no signs of wear or oddities. It just seems extremely perculiar to happen all of a sudden.

The car has only done 55,000 odd kms (00 model series 2). If anyone could give some insight into this problem it would be much appreciated.

-Dervish

had similar trouble with mine when i bought it mine get too 3k break down only some times turns out i had a break in the wiring loom no troubles since no prob with coil packs just replaced the wiring loom for coil packs dont if this will help but no harm !