SAU Community

Trying to keep it under 20k

JT

A '95 for under $20 would prob. have something desperately wrong with it.

i have seen plenty of 95 r33s for under 20k. anyone that pays more then that is being ripped! i was going to get a 95 model over a year ago but preffered to go for a different r33 with gtr features. you could get nice 95 models back then for around 20k. and they were nice! stock though mind you.

Guest DON91E
Originally posted by T0nyGTSt

A '95 for under $20 would prob. have something desperately wrong with it.

T.

Mine was bought for below 20gs and there was NOTHING wrong with it.

one other thing - when i imported my car it was pretty good value... but then add in $750 for a nice new HD clutch, $200 to change the timing belt (just to be safe), full service with good oils, filters etc... and it can add up quickly.

You will find them for under 20k for sure... especially an auto... but look for cars that have been here for a while... its seems us aussies tend to give them alot more care than the japs. To them its a 5k POS, us its 20K... big diff.

but look for cars that have been here for a while... its seems us aussies tend to give them alot more care than the japs. To them its a 5k POS, us its 20K... big diff.

i disagree with this! , 5k POS? what are you talking about....(??), i dont think it really matters where you live. most cars coming from japan seem to be in pretty good condition for their age and all. Although I know they may have had some "fixing" along the way.

oh and another point. Id rather buy a car that came from japan then one that has been here previously as well as being in japan as well.

Yeh true akeenan, although the car is not as highly valued by the Japanese (in monetary terms anyway), the Japanese generally seem more willing to burn money on their cars.

I have noticed (a bit of a generalisation) that aus owners always look for the 'cheap n easy' fix!

If you don't believe me just look at the money spent on my

x-Zed. The value of mods on that thing was many times the car cost! Look at how much money is spent on S13's in Japan, for what is a very cheap car over there.

each to their own opinion I guess - but to give you an example - all of the cars we have ever sold (our family) wether they were 2 years old or 10years old, always had complete service history (original books), receipts etc.

soo many cars that come out of Japan dont have any history at all.

other thing I have noticed is that they seem to get rid of their cars when they have problems , wether it be small or large.. for example my soarer drivers seat didnt work... managed to fix it myself.. but I have never come accross a car in Aus worth 15k+ with things not working.. if I did i would be fairly suspicous of how well its been looked after.

Originally posted by nisman

Yeh true akeenan, although the car is not as highly valued by the Japanese (in monetary terms anyway), the Japanese generally seem more willing to burn money on their cars.  

I have noticed (a bit of a generalisation) that aus owners always look for the 'cheap n easy' fix!

If you don't believe me just look at the money spent on my  

x-Zed. The value of mods on that thing was many times the car cost! Look at how much money is spent on S13's in Japan, for what is a very cheap car over there.

how much cash they spend on it doesnt mean much. I know some people who have recently got some skylines from prestige... one blew head gasket and head was ****ed within a week, the otherones bottom end is ****ed.

both these cars have had 15K + spent on mods (BIG HKS turbos) and all the works..

now the chance of the previous owners not realising that these cars had problems must be a pretty big coincidence.. the fact that they r both stuffed with 500km of being sold.

Wow! I have never heard similar stories happening with local cars!

Come on man, really, you make it sound like a car here is immune to such risks. May I suggest you hold this view as you are trying to sell your own car?

If you buy good quality cars from Japan it lessens the risks dramatically, especially if you can see the auction reports. We have imported a few cars, none giving problems. I know this as I regularly keep in touch with buyers. I have also trusted the cars enough to sell to friends. On many occasions cars have not been purchased due inherant problems...

That is not to say a car that has been here is rubbish, its just that the history of it can be questionable...