SAU Community

Hr31 Clutch?

Car; 1986 HR31 RB20DET NICS. "import"

Im having trouble confirming if a clutch for a RB20DET ECCS eg. later model Hr31(89) or R32;

will fit the Early RB20's

product codes or advice would be much appreciated,

cheers

Same part numbers mate right up to 25's I believe.... I looked in the excedy catalogue when i was buying a clutch my HR31 coupe with the ECCS redtop and it only listed R31 RB20DET... Not specific to ECCS or NICS and have later been told that 32 and 33 clutches r the same part number.

Liam

Same part numbers mate right up to 25's I believe.... I looked in the excedy catalogue when i was buying a clutch my HR31 coupe with the ECCS redtop and it only listed R31 RB20DET... Not specific to ECCS or NICS and have later been told that 32 and 33 clutches r the same part number.

Liam

cheers mate, im not sure wether to go with extreme or excedy.. i know in the extreme range they list 2 clutches for the RB20.

did u go a heavy duty organic in the excedy, what it like to drive??

Mate I wish i had heavy duty organic lol. I got the Exedy heavy duty cushioned button and its ok for the driver.. passengers dont like the jerk. It can be driven a little like a stock clutch but wears out too quickly. I rev it to about 1500rpm or a bit more and give it a gentle dump so it doesnt stall lol.

Xtreme I think make a heavy duty and organic cushioned button.

U have a NICS so i guess ur not making that much power.. Organic heavy duty will be sweet from Exedy for what u need. I should have bought one as I dont drag or drift i just drive normally. If drift and drag launches r ur style go for a better rating clutch like the cushioned button or brass button. The clutch pedal on mine is VERY light under ur foot but its not wearing or anything, works fine for its purpose.

Liam

Mate I wish i had heavy duty organic lol. I got the Exedy heavy duty cushioned button and its ok for the driver.. passengers dont like the jerk. It can be driven a little like a stock clutch but wears out too quickly. I rev it to about 1500rpm or a bit more and give it a gentle dump so it doesnt stall lol.

Xtreme I think make a heavy duty and organic cushioned button.

U have a NICS so i guess ur not making that much power.. Organic heavy duty will be sweet from Exedy for what u need. I should have bought one as I dont drag or drift i just drive normally. If drift and drag launches r ur style go for a better rating clutch like the cushioned button or brass button. The clutch pedal on mine is VERY light under ur foot but its not wearing or anything, works fine for its purpose.

Liam

excellent i recon the heavy duty organic is the go. I drive grip through the hills, occasionaly slide but usually its from entry no a kick from my left foot on the clutch.

My NICS is still running nicely, only just had to do the first timing belt in its life. Only about 70k on the clock when i got it, dosent miss a beat. Will go silver top in future but i dont see the point yet considering the nics is quite fresh still.

excellent i recon the heavy duty organic is the go. I drive grip through the hills, occasionaly slide but usually its from entry no a kick from my left foot on the clutch.

My NICS is still running nicely, only just had to do the first timing belt in its life. Only about 70k on the clock when i got it, dosent miss a beat. Will go silver top in future but i dont see the point yet considering the nics is quite fresh still.

Lol U on www.R31skylineclub ? There seems to be a general concensus that the NICS is shithouse. Wiring and intake issues. But if it isnt broken mate! Heavy duy organic should be sweet. Mate had one his 32 GTST for about 4 years and he had it the drags a couple of times and drifted into parties a fair bit and sold the car with the clutch still in pretty good condition. Silvertop is a good option for an upgrade if u like the RB20DET but i personally cant stand having to rev the crap out of an engine to 6800 rpm to get peak power lol. ECCS+R33turbo+SAFC made the peak level pretty high in the revs lol. Hate to have a bigger turbo on one.

Liam

lol.. yeah people bag the old nics, it servs me well though. .. ist funny i went on one of the r31skyline club "hills runs" in SA and managed to ge away from the pack, i was asked what motor i had..haha

its not the power its the way u use it....... well thats what i have convinced my girfriend anyway..lol

Lol U on www.R31skylineclub ? There seems to be a general concensus that the NICS is shithouse. Wiring and intake issues. But if it isnt broken mate! Heavy duy organic should be sweet. Mate had one his 32 GTST for about 4 years and he had it the drags a couple of times and drifted into parties a fair bit and sold the car with the clutch still in pretty good condition. Silvertop is a good option for an upgrade if u like the RB20DET but i personally cant stand having to rev the crap out of an engine to 6800 rpm to get peak power lol. ECCS+R33turbo+SAFC made the peak level pretty high in the revs lol. Hate to have a bigger turbo on one.

Liam

My NICS+R33 turbo+chipped ECU makes peak power between 7000-7200rpm, the NICS are known to have more aggressive cams than a silvertop.

The NICS aren't a bad motor, just the ecu, turbo and plenum that let them down.

Good info about the clutch as I might be replacing mine shortly.

I have a redtop ECCS in my coupe not a silvertop and its redtop cams in general.. There was a discussion about this and I thik it was the lift on the redtop cam is the most aggressive out of all twin cam RB's. Think it as the duration thats same as silvertop. Doesnt look like many 31 members even know who I am lol.

Liam

I have a redtop ECCS in my coupe not a silvertop and its redtop cams in general.. There was a discussion about this and I thik it was the lift on the redtop cam is the most aggressive out of all twin cam RB's. Think it as the duration thats same as silvertop. Doesnt look like many 31 members even know who I am lol.

Liam

whats your name on 31 forum?

My NICS+R33 turbo+chipped ECU makes peak power between 7000-7200rpm, the NICS are known to have more aggressive cams than a silvertop.

The NICS aren't a bad motor, just the ecu, turbo and plenum that let them down.

Good info about the clutch as I might be replacing mine shortly.

so scrap the ecu and plenum and its on parr with the later model rb20s?

im currently considering the r33 turbo or something cheap of ebay. not sure yet. where did u get your ecu chipped, i didnt know if anyone dose em anymore beeing so old?

DR DRIFT remaps them for u. Does a really good job aswell i hear, I was going to get my ECCS done there but my plans changed. Gains dont seem to be as good with the NICS when u add exhaust, pod, r33 turbo etc when everything else is stock, e.g intake, ecu etc but then again the NICS has an ever so slightly lower max power than the ECCS from factory.

Liam

DR DRIFT remaps them for u. Does a really good job aswell i hear, I was going to get my ECCS done there but my plans changed. Gains dont seem to be as good with the NICS when u add exhaust, pod, r33 turbo etc when everything else is stock, e.g intake, ecu etc but then again the NICS has an ever so slightly lower max power than the ECCS from factory.

Liam

is DR DRIFT on this forum, or got a website?? my plans are fit my intercooler, 3" exhaust from cat. and boost up the standard turbo, till it craps itself and the go r33 turbo. How dose the chipped ecu effect preformance,, ie. more power over rev range or better low RPM response?

He does have a website.. Can't remember it but google Dr Drift.

If ur thinking of boosting the crap out of a 21 yr old turbo have a spare one on ur workbench, dont wait til it goes. Also if u want best results from more boost u will need an aftermarket fuel pump, the mixtures will lean out (even tho the stock air/fuel mix is so rich on the redtop RB20DET). The stock fuel pumps simply cannot hold pressure when u add boost. A bosch 040 can be had for cheap. I got mine brand new for $175 and $50 installed. Cheap as and a good safe upgrade. Get a full exhaust system. Pointless adding boost then strangling the turbo right at the wheel.

The basics of a remap to gains r... U can change ur timing and lean out the mixture. There is no need to touch ur cold start or anything as it would be running factory so no need for an aftermarket ecu. Basically they have the map from factory on there and just plug in their laptop and tune it. It saves to the ecu obviously and thats how u run ur car.. U will notice an increase in fuel economy..

IF ur planning to change any mods soon then do not get a remap yet as u will have to remap it again to suit ur changes. Get everything on the car, like full turbo back exhaust, FMIC, pod, bigger turbo, fuel pump, just run a safe 10-12psi and then get it remapped. U could see anything up to 170-180rwkw with the right mods without touching injectors and afm as they will be sufficient for that power level. If u get EPA'd at all u can always run a stock airbox and/or stock cooler and there shouldnt be too many issues with ur remap and it could keep more people happy if they look at ur engine. I was caught over Easter with a SAFC, pod and intercooler and haven't put anything back on, just kept the FMIC, stock airbox and no SAFC... i'm probably back under 130rwkw again which sucks but its good enough considering I just go to ork and back and 31 club meets. u will get better response slightly and a much smoother power curve, aswell as more power from the remap.

Liam

so scrap the ecu and plenum and its on parr with the later model rb20s?

im currently considering the r33 turbo or something cheap of ebay. not sure yet. where did u get your ecu chipped, i didnt know if anyone dose em anymore beeing so old?

I'm not sure if DR Drift can tune the NICS, mine was chipped in Japan by KS Rom.

Well im sure if ur doing a remap get ur hands on an ECCS ecu? I know of ppl remapping R32 RB20 ECU's to run modded RB25's... I thought the RB20 software was all remappable, over here. Maybe just redtop ECCS and silvertop... Have a google and call them up.

Liam

Cheers for the advice guys. I was going to only push the stock turbo to 10psi and only a cat back exhaust because i havnt decided on a second turbo so i might need a custom dump pipe. I have a pod boxed in a modded factory air box so it look standard. My new 2.5" intercooler pipework will follow original system, so fingers crossed is should look pritty standar under the hood.

Most people say NICS ecu cant be chipped however i have heard or them being chipped in build posts on r31 forum, now i think of it.