SAU Community

Safc Tune

hi guys

i just want install SAFC into my R34 GTT

heard tune will cost me around $200..

does it actually tune it from the SAFC unit or do i have to touch engine bay and loose some screws and tight them back and change some orders in engine bay?

if its not can anyone please tell me how to tune it? ill do myself if possible...

all you need to touch is the SAFC unit think i can do...

cheers guys

paul

Hey Paul

Its tuned through the SAFC, as it only controls fuel

Not sure if they touch the timing, pretty sure there is no need from what I have read/been told. Only thing they may touch in the engine bay is boost settings, depending on how much boost you want to run.

Other than that, its all set up on the SAFC..

Not sure how easy they are to tune, but you would need to know the AFR's which you cant, unless you have a wide-band which you probably don't..

AFR - air fuel ratio's.. determines how rich/lean, safe/bad the car is running according to air & fuel intake. To lean can be dangerous, to rich is just a waste, and with either car wont run to its full potential.

I would recommend you install it if your good with wiring, and get it properly tuned on a dyno, where all engine values can be monitored and set up correctly for a nice safe reliable tune.

I can install it easily, tuning I could probably work out over time, but I would rather leave it to a professional who knows what they are doing, with the equipment and the experience.

After all, a tune will cost you a lot less than a new motor if you stuff something up!

Good luck with it.

Thanks,

Abu

Edited by abu

Altering AF ratios = Definate dyno tune (unless you have the wideband sensor as already stated)

$200 isn't that bad a hit in the wallet so just do it and enjoy the experience :santa:

It's fun to watch anyway and you can hit the tuner up for all sorts of questions if you have any while you're at it.

tuning a SAFC is pretty close to tuning your car on the dyno in the game NFS Underground on PS2 =) in fact its even easier then the game is!

Edited by Guilt-Toy

Unigroup charge $150 from what I remember.

as long as you turn up with it already installed and cleared, and they just have to tune it.

if you don't have a wide band sensor and a road that you can do a 4th gear red line run, then no, you can't tune it yourself.

I'm surprised that someone with cash for an R34 doesn't have the cash for an SAFC tune.

hope you didn't skimp on insurance by getting a $40 club lock instead.

Unigroup charge $150 from what I remember.

as long as you turn up with it already installed and cleared, and they just have to tune it.

if you don't have a wide band sensor and a road that you can do a 4th gear red line run, then no, you can't tune it yourself.

I'm surprised that someone with cash for an R34 doesn't have the cash for an SAFC tune.

hope you didn't skimp on insurance by getting a $40 club lock instead.

I don't think he is saying he cant afford it, he is simply saying if he can do it him self, and save $200 then why not?

I'm sure many people wouldn't know how to install it, or even dare to try, but for those who do know and have tried they have also saved anything up to an easy $200..

I think thats all his intention is really.

Thanks,

Abu

Edited by abu

installing is like 6 wires.

and you can find the ECu pinout diagrams on here and the SAFC should come with it's own diagram of what each wire is or you can download that from the web as well.

install is the easy bit.

during my tuning, Uni group put my car on the dyno, then did a power run with no changes.

took a look at the A:F details at what revs and made changes in the SAFC.

basically leaned it out or richened as required.

the SAFC I had (Blue screen) had tuning points at 500rpm intervals.

so he takes a look at the dyno run readout, and adjusts more or less fuel at each 500rpm point.

then runs it again and makes any other adjustments needed.

it took 9 power runs if i recall.

so.. without a laptop that is mapping your a:f mixture via your expensive wide band o2 sensor, while you are doing these wot runs on the road somewhere, I think it's safer to let someone do it for you on a dyno.

or if you insist on doing it yourself, you can hire out a dyno for an hour I think.

that would cost you about $110 or around that and you use their o2 sensor, dyno, computer readout etc.

installing is like 6 wires.

and you can find the ECu pinout diagrams on here and the SAFC should come with it's own diagram of what each wire is or you can download that from the web as well.

install is the easy bit.

during my tuning, Uni group put my car on the dyno, then did a power run with no changes.

took a look at the A:F details at what revs and made changes in the SAFC.

basically leaned it out or richened as required.

the SAFC I had (Blue screen) had tuning points at 500rpm intervals.

so he takes a look at the dyno run readout, and adjusts more or less fuel at each 500rpm point.

then runs it again and makes any other adjustments needed.

it took 9 power runs if i recall.

so.. without a laptop that is mapping your a:f mixture via your expensive wide band o2 sensor, while you are doing these wot runs on the road somewhere, I think it's safer to let someone do it for you on a dyno.

or if you insist on doing it yourself, you can hire out a dyno for an hour I think.

that would cost you about $110 or around that and you use their o2 sensor, dyno, computer readout etc.

:action-smiley-069:

And that pretty much sums it up.

Thanks,

Abu

I don't think he is saying he cant afford it, he is simply saying if he can do it him self, and save $200 then why not?

I'm sure many people wouldn't know how to install it, or even dare to try, but for those who do know and have tried they have also saved anything up to an easy $200..

I think thats all his intention is really.

Thanks,

Abu

thanks abu...

If you can, may as well ask the tuner for a before and after print out and post up the results. :)

Obviously with the power run but include the A/F ratios too

:(

Thats a really good idea.

Then you can compare your before and after results, and hope they are positive lol :(

Another good tip was to ask the tuner to make it a little leaner down low, off boost. That way they tune the fuel for the whole rev range, not just up top when it hits boost! (another forum member advised me of this!)

Then you will also get better fuel economy driving off boost :wub:

But get a dyno print out and make sure the AFR's are safe!

Good luck man, post up the results when you get them!!

Thanks,

Abu

Edited by abu

Thats a really good idea.

Then you can compare your before and after results, and hope they are positive lol :)

Another good tip was to ask the tuner to make it a little leaner down low, off boost. That way they tune the fuel for the whole rev range, not just up top when it hits boost! (another forum member advised me of this!)

Then you will also get better fuel economy driving off boost :whistling:

But get a dyno print out and make sure the AFR's are safe!

Good luck man, post up the results when you get them!!

Thanks,

Abu

thanks man

thansk for you all for help guys!

ill post up after i get it done!

thanks you very much!

paul

hey paul before you go off thinking its 200 bucks

remember

other costs are involved when i got my apexi neo it cost me 560.00 altogether

cause i needed new plugs, bov started leaking n ebc tune n shit llike that

remember to make sure u add additional costs so say 360.00 u save.. ( SAVE ) for the tune should be safe considering you dont need new plugs and bs

I thought i saw somewhere that the Hitman in Penrith was $250-$300ishh ??? for install and tune?

Otherwise, put up a new thread entitiled "Case of beer for the person who installs my SAFC" and i mean that seriously

I did that exact thing and got my front/dump put in for a case of Tooheys Extra Dry :sleep:

Also, when i sold my old SAFC, i installed it too for a case of Coldies..shoulda asked for Crownies :)

It was a bit more stuffing around than i remembered, only casuse of the awkward position of the ECU.

f@#$K

the BEL qoute me $360 for install and tune...

what the..

Do you have an SAFC-I or SAFC-II?

There pretty much the same, but if you want to give it a go your self I have the wiring diagram's and pin outs for the SAFC-II and could get you the ones for SAFC-I if your keen?

I'd suggest you have some prior electronics/wiring experience, as its not that simple for someone doing it for the first time.. but if you have an idea of what your doing its not very hard.

I installed an AVCR last week into my cousins R33, did all the wiring which I didn't find difficult at all, just that some of the pins on the ECU where a bit hard to get too.. which over-all is the same sort of procedure as an SAFC installation.

Let me know how you go. :sleep:

Thanks,

Abu

Edited by abu