SAU Community

6 x 9's in the Back

Neil

Guy's,,,,how the hell do you get 6 x 9's to fit in the back of a R33 GTS-T.....I changed springs on the weekend and while I had the parcel shelf out I thought I would upgrade. What a pain in the arse. I ending up using jaycar spacers under them and it looks crappy. HELP,,,,,,,I don't wanna cut any steel.....Does someone make smaller spacers.....

Neil.

Get a jigsaw, some 16mm MDF, and some carpet. Lay the old shelf over the MDF trace it, cut it out, and then with a bit of stuffing around you can posn the 6x9's in exactly the right spot on the shelf so that you don't need spacers and don't need to cut the metal shelf. All up took me about 3-4 hours. Audio shops will charge about $150 for this. Cost me about $20.

Bleck

There's a better, more professional way to do this..

You take the old parcel shelf out, and get some 12mm MDF. Trace the old parcel shelf, cut it out. make sure it fits, and make any adjustments. then, what you need to do is to cut out three different sized spacers. Same shape as the 6x9, cut out three each being about 1cm smaller in diameter. Remember to cut out the center to fit the 6x9s on each of the rings. Once you've cut the three spacers out per speaker, glue them together with a strong wood glue, and allow to dry. When you're glueing them together, do it so that they are even around the sides, if you get what i mean. Once the glue is dry, get out your sandpaper and an electric sander or similar, and sand around the sides of the three spacers you glued togetheruntil they're smooth, on an angle around the sides like / but try to make them a little rounder. once you do this, make sure the 6x9's fit properly. If they fit, get yourself some fibreglass resin and do a few coats on each pod. Once they're complete, glue them to the pacel shelf you just made, over the old speaker holes.

Now you just need to cover it. You can either:

~Cover it with vinyl

~Get it professionally vaccuum covered in vinyl ( i reccomend this )

~Cover it with carpet, which you can buy from jaycar for $30 a bag. It's like felt carpet, not thick carpet.

Once covered, you've got a new parcel shelf which looks factory to most eyes, but with nice raised pods for your 6x9s.

Hope you could understand that, im not good at wording how-to's :cool:

Thanks guy's,,,I understand now. I might strip my original shelf and do it Ryan's way. I want to keep the Grilles and wiper cover,,,,I don't think the wiper cover would fit using thicker wood and cutting and installing the vents in to the same would be a nightmare.

Thanks again guys.

Neil.:) :) :)