SAU Community

Globe Replacement With Leds

666DAN

Due to the volume of questions relating to installing the LEDs here is a basic "How To"

Please note the section on splaying out the leads on the globe and contacts in the base to ensure good electrical connection it also covers the orientation of the bulb this is a stumbling point for many people and results in 11 billion PM's about globes that don't work (but really do) :rolleyes:

100_2698small.jpg

100_2711small.jpg

Twist the bulb holder to remove (T10 and T5 shown)

100_2700small.jpg

100_2712small.jpg

Pull the bulb out of the holder, they *will* come out some are in tight

100_2717small.jpg

100_2704small.jpg

Sometimes the lead on the globe will fall into the recess in the plastic, splay it out slightly to guarantee electrical contact. Some of the bases are quite old and could also do with splaying. This is the number one reason for bulbs that "appear" not to work and actually are fine.

100_2705small.jpg

100_2714small.jpg

Fit the LED globe by pushing it into the base (T10 and T5 shown)

100_2708small.jpg

100_2709small.jpg

Twist the globe and holder back into the cluster (note the location of the black dot) Now this is the important bit; LEDs *only* work in one direction, so if it doesn't light up you need to turn the holder 180 degrees (note dot in second picture) Do *NOT* remove the bulb, just rotate the holder as then you won't get mixed up what direction you had the LED in the first place.

Plug everything back together after making sure everything lights up, congratulations you're done!!!!

• 3 months later...

there is a DIY on dash removal it not so hard, couple of screws n prying..you'll get it, just make sure you put everything back together the way u got it out. hame

• 2 months later...
666Dan

Get your supplier to fit a bridge rectifier and you won't have to worry about polarity problems.

do you know what a bridge rectifier is... what it does? how it works... do u know what a diode is? how it works?

666Dan

Get your supplier to fit a bridge rectifier and you won't have to worry about polarity problems.

It is possible, but you'd see 300% increase in price :thumbsup:...and as above, that's for making DC from AC so not much use in this instance

I'm trying this now. Dan, how much are your LED's? Tried a spare one that was sitting around the house, lasted 3 seconds before it blew... Now I'm struggling to sind some what would fit. Found one, but if yours are cheaper, I might buy some off you. I live in WA, how much would postage cost?

pics and prices on your leds please

by pics i ment fitted and working youve already posted the globes

Go to the 'for sale' section, search for LEDs and you'll find my thread.

• 10 months later...
Tried a spare one that was sitting around the house, lasted 3 seconds before it blew...

You need to make sure it's got the right voltage rating, you need 12volt globes, or 4 x 3 volt in series for the voltage to work correctly, otherwise PING and she will blow.

I noticed in the pictures above that the globes look to be in series, so they would be 3-volt high-light LED's linked in series to allow them to take 12 Volts feed.

B.

• 2 weeks later...

hey dan the bulbs are in and work a treat. only question is that wen installed, on the right half of my tacho and speedo and lit up; the other half is either not lit or very dim. is there a fix to this or is it faulty globes?....