SAU Community

32 External Fuel Pump

RAD-510

Dunno if this has been discussed already but i'm looking to convert my R32n to an external fuel pump cos i cant be farked buying a new internal pump for it. I have a good VL turbo pump out of my DR30 (upgrading that car to bigger pump) and was wondering if many people have done this already. I'm a mechanic so i'm doin it all myself (obviously) and just hoped someone has any hot tips.

Cheers Michael.

Too hard as in cant be bothered and dont wanna spend money on it. If i was to put in a surge tank i would have to buy or make one then buy a low pressure pre pump for the tank and i'm not keen to spend anything on it cos need the money to build the motor in my DR30.

As i said its my daily driver so i'm doin it all on the cheap and effective.

Any tips on the actual job i'm doin would be much appreciated.

Cheers Mick.

from memory the VL turbo pumps need to be fed into (be at the bottom of the tank with a gravity feed into them) which means that they cannot suck fuel out of the tank.

to do that on the 32 you would need to modify the tank to have an outlet at the bottom to gravity feed into the pump.

how is it setup in the dr30 ?

Interesting point.

I'm not really 100% sure at the moment but i reckon it feeds off a big hose comin out the top of the tank. Could be wrong so dont quote me on this. Havent really looked under the car for a while. I'm pretty sure if i mount the pump low enough in relation to the tank it should half by gravity feed out of the tank once the flow starts. But then again it might not.

also are you 100% the pump isnt using another as a lift pump direct into the VL pump?

VL pumps DO NOT like running dry at all, had 3 fail in a sprinter (ca18det) due to the surge of the std tank - fixed by welding in a small collector tank area in the bottom of the tank.

Hi Guys,

I recently had a warlboro pump die on me so I went the whole hog and installed my surge tank + bosch 044..

I'll do a writeup on how I did everything.. I fabbed the tank my self..

Yeah didnt end up using the Vl turbo pump. Once i got the car on the hoist and had a good look around it became too hard so i lashed out and got a bosch motorsport 040 pump for it. Didnt realise how cheap those pumps are (at least cheap for me cos we are bosch dealers at my work WOO HOO).

Made a massive difference to the power output of the car now its not dropping pressure anymore. I would highly recommend them. Was pretty easy to fit. only minor modification made to the mounting in the tank. Lovin it.