SAU Community

stolen vehicle check?

JT

Hi all,

Has anyone done a check to see if there imported car has been stolen form Japan? If so how? I have heard that cars are being stolen and then imported and if so the owner can lose there car.

I am trying to minimise my risk. What type of importers should nt I deal with?

The type of dealers you SHOULD deal with are ones who buy from auctions and car yards in japan.

2 popular ones are

Prestige Motorsport (Geoff Risbey) - located in perth, dont let that put you off, he has a pretty good reputation.

J-Spec imports - Located in Melbourne i think (so that should suit you pretty well.

Both of these guys have access to thousands of cars that are to go on auction each week, and will look after all the paperwork for u (shipping, import approvals, compliance)

The other option is to buy local, then all you have to do is goto the cop station and give them the VIN of the car that u are sussing out to do a stolen vehicle check. Also a REVS check is also good too (check if the car is under finance).

With the new compliance scheme in place now, things are a bit hazy with importing modified cars, but if you are after a stocker it seems alright with the dollar up and heaps to choose from becuase the aussie market over there is a bit low.

apologies for the rambling, but i hope you gained a bit of info :P

Just a bit of Info about checking on a local car, in Vic we just call the VSR, give them the VIN, Chassis, Enginge numbers ETC, and they can check wether its been stolen, written off, and/or under finance, they can also send you a document which doesnt allow the finance company to repo your car if they didnt tell the VSR.

• 1 year later...

im in your shoes

im buying a imported car never driven in australian

just imported last week and i asked for the de registration papers in japan

but the thing is i dont under japanese :wassup:

hence how do i know if the car hasnt been stolen or worse!

I heard there is a program called nissan fast where it checks this out for you

if anyone has access to this please private msg me!!

thanks and good luck with your car