SAU Community

Obtaining Parking In Tokyo

m3gtr

This is for the Japanese residents among us.

I will be purchasing a ride very soon and would like to ask what steps i need to take to obtain parking.

I have heard and believe it must be done through the management of the parking facility and then through the police station in my area. Ive been told i need to do that BEFORE i can even purchase a car but i could be very wrong about that.

Is this correct?

My wife and I are planning on purchasing an '04 CLK 320. Great resale value in Oz and all that jazz.

I dont really care what it costs... i just need to know what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Another question is to those that have exported a "Personal import".

Id love to hear any stories about those of you who have done it and what your experiences were like. Stories like that would help me immensely! :P:no:

Specifically, what was entailed and how the process went... what troubles you had and anything related.

Cheers. :sorcerer: :sorcerer:

This is for the Japanese residents among us.

I will be purchasing a ride very soon and would like to ask what steps i need to take to obtain parking.

I have heard and believe it must be done through the management of the parking facility and then through the police station in my area. Ive been told i need to do that BEFORE i can even purchase a car but i could be very wrong about that.

Is this correct?

My wife and I are planning on purchasing an '04 CLK 320. Great resale value in Oz and all that jazz.

I dont really care what it costs... i just need to know what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Another question is to those that have exported a "Personal import".

Id love to hear any stories about those of you who have done it and what your experiences were like. Stories like that would help me immensely! :P:no:

Specifically, what was entailed and how the process went... what troubles you had and anything related.

Cheers. :sorcerer: :sorcerer:

Yea to change the registration into your name 名義変換, you need a parking permit 車庫証明. This is applied for at the cop shop. Head there first and get the paperwork, go get yourself some parking and then fill out the paperwork. You have to draw some pretty pictures of what the parking space looks like and where your car will fit and get the owner of the parking space to sign it.

Personal import:

Own the car for a year. Keep all the paperwork - tax forms, shaken forms, purchase records, change of rego papers, as these are all needed when you fill out the paperwork for import approval, which can be found at the DOTARS website. When applying for import approval, don't worry too much about getting all the Japanese paperwork professionally translated, I just did it myself. Don't worry if you are not coming back with your car, just lie that you are. You can apply before the year is up, as long as it is not imported before the year is up. Organise yourself some shipping. Take your car to the shipping company yards, take off the plates and walk to the nearest train station as you now have no car. Deregister the car 廃車 and apply for approval for export 抹消, this is done at the local (how do you say Department of Transport in Japanese again?? 陸上なんとかなんとか....., when I remember I'll post up again). Send the deregistration, export approval paperwork to the shipping company. Pick up your car in Aus. Pay import duty, shipping, quarantine, etc, etc, etc..... and be happy. Get it complied and be happy.

You will need your registered hanko 印鑑 and a hanko registration paper 印鑑登録証明 everytime you fill out any official paperwork. Head to your local 市役所 and get yourself registered baby if you aren't already.

Do it all in your name as your missus ain't an Aussie so personal imports won't work for her.

My fingers are sore

Youre a bloody ledgend Steve! Thanks a heap for documenting that all for me. Im going to archive this thread and keep it for reference.

I trust your information and i know you did it with the Evo 3.

Thanks again.

one question though..

You mentioned if they ask if im coming back wit the car i feign ignorance and tell em i am? Is that kosher? surely its more difficult than that...

• 2 months later...
Yea to change the registration into your name 名義変換, you need a parking permit 車庫証明. This is applied for at the cop shop. Head there first and get the paperwork, go get yourself some parking and then fill out the paperwork. You have to draw some pretty pictures of what the parking space looks like and where your car will fit and get the owner of the parking space to sign it.

Personal import:

Own the car for a year. Keep all the paperwork - tax forms, shaken forms, purchase records, change of rego papers, as these are all needed when you fill out the paperwork for import approval, which can be found at the DOTARS website. When applying for import approval, don't worry too much about getting all the Japanese paperwork professionally translated, I just did it myself. Don't worry if you are not coming back with your car, just lie that you are. You can apply before the year is up, as long as it is not imported before the year is up. Organise yourself some shipping. Take your car to the shipping company yards, take off the plates and walk to the nearest train station as you now have no car. Deregister the car 廃車 and apply for approval for export 抹消, this is done at the local (how do you say Department of Transport in Japanese again?? 陸上なんとかなんとか....., when I remember I'll post up again). Send the deregistration, export approval paperwork to the shipping company. Pick up your car in Aus. Pay import duty, shipping, quarantine, etc, etc, etc..... and be happy. Get it complied and be happy.

You will need your registered hanko 印鑑 and a hanko registration paper 印鑑登録証明 everytime you fill out any official paperwork. Head to your local 市役所 and get yourself registered baby if you aren't already.

Do it all in your name as your missus ain't an Aussie so personal imports won't work for her.

My fingers are sore

Does a personal import also require meeting ADR standards or can I just drive it once its registered

Before it is registered you need to have it complianced. You can find info on the compliance regulations for privately imported cars on DOTARS and your state's Department of Transport web sites. The rules are less stringent than compliance for cars imported under SEVS and modifications are OK, makes things a little easier.