SAU Community

Petition to save Wakefield Park

PranK

From Wakefield;

Dear Wakefield Park Member,

Please see the attached link for the Save Wakefield Park Petition which has been lodged with the NSW Legislative Assembly by our friends  at www.savewakefieldparkraceway.com

https://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/la/Pages/ePetition-details.aspx?q=JEhjemCnHmr7OpIXen8-4w

Only NSW residents can sign (NSW Parliamentary rules, sorry!)  

Non-NSW residents can register their support on their website (www.savewakefieldparkraceway.com). They will collect stats that can used in communication with politicians.

You can also write letters to NSW Ministers and Shadow Ministers, see the Save Wakefield Park Facebook page for contact details and suggested letter templates.   

Petition closes 28 October. Why the urgency? There’s a chance we can get this issue debated in Parliament before the sitting year ends. We want our track back - so our first request is for the Government to identify an INTERIM solution to get the gates reopened. Our second request is for a long term solution to secure the track’s future (and this could take time).  

The volume of signatures we collect is paramount! At a minimum, 20,000 signatures are needed for it to be debated in Parliament. But let’s smash it even further. It’s not enough for just you to sign it - PLEASE ASK YOUR FAMILY & FRIENDS TO SIGN.  

With a State election coming up in March, all candidates (regardless of party) need to understand the devastating effect this issue has not only on the wider motorsport community but also the Goulburn region. It is losing tens of millions of dollars - and jobs.  We thank you for your support! 🙏

Please consider signing. This is a very important track for all levels of driver and needs to be saved.

• Like 1

I've forwarded on this to the Bogan world of "Just Commodores" which has gained some attention

I honestly think we are flogging a dead horse, but hopefully Wakefield comply with the noise regulations required and can keep on keeping on

It will require some stiff regs, and limit open exhausts and stuff to keep the locals happy, but it's either comply or close for good, which would be sad

Currently at 14,252 sigs

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.goulburnpost.com.au/story/7960267/everyone-supports-wakefield-park-but-whats-next-owners-ask/

It's pretty clear from the local member's comments that the state government don't intend to assist; they say the track and the council should have worked it out rather than going to the L&E court.

Of course, that leaves the track with the option of submitting a new DA to council which has to be materially different than the previous one to operate a race track with additional pit buildings, which state laws will require the council to reject again.

With a state election coming up, it is possible one party or the other will make a commitment to resolving the issue, as leaving it between the track and council who have to comply with state laws won't get a different result

• Sad 1

I've heard that sentiment around but highly doubt that is the issue for Wakie. Surrounding land is RU2 which requires minimum lot size 100a to build on. Probably some of the local land is larger than that so could be split up and sold to escaping sydney siders, but nothing like where Oran Park was, Amaroo, Calder, Sandown etc

I think the Liberals just don't see votes in fixing the issue. AFAIK Labor have not come out either way but will probably have to decide before March.

5 hours ago, niZmO_Man said:

"quit your whining and let us develop it"

Fixed, a very reasonable offer was made to the owners to purchase the track to save it and they turned it down 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

This is an automatically generated email from the NSW Legislative Assembly.

Unfortunately, the ePetition "Save Wakefield Park" will not be debated in the Legislative Assembly, as there are no more sitting days scheduled for the 57th Parliament before the March 2023 election.

The NSW Government will still respond to the ePetition and you will be sent a link to the response when it is received.

The latest email from the New South Wales Legislative Assembly on the matter.

Would anyone care to explain what this means? Wasn't the whole point of the petition to have this discussed in the Legislative Assembly?

I read this as "sucks to be you" but I have no understanding whatsoever about how these things work.