SAU Community

Doing The Half Day At Wakefield! Woohooo

sl33py

I have that EXACT combination of RDA slotted rotors (front only) and EBC Redstuffs (again, front only) on my car if you wanna come see how well they pull up :rant: I've been asked if they're Brembo's, but that was someone unfamiliar with the car... and half tanked hahaha. I like them.

The brakes... not the drunk person :)

I have that EXACT combination of RDA slotted rotors (front only) and EBC Redstuffs (again, front only) on my car if you wanna come see how well they pull up :( I've been asked if they're Brembo's, but that was someone unfamiliar with the car... and half tanked hahaha. I like them.

The brakes... not the drunk person :)

I take it your EBC reds don't squeel like MIVIC's

Nope. Part of the reason I bought them - the last ones squealed all the time. Hot or cold. These maybe give a little sigh when really cold on a first few breaks, but after that, nothing. It's probably also related to the rotors you use too.

So by lap ~15 my temp gauge was that the "oh 5h1t" marker. I pulled into the pits and saw that coolant was boiling and p1ssing out all over the ground. Car sounded like a kettle! I popped the hood, and let it cool a bit... nothing doin'. So I I did a few slow laps of behind the pit area and the gauge just maxed out. Aieee! Pulled in, shut it down, left it. Threw more money at Dereck and jumped in his car instead :w00t: I'm just lucky I brought a nearly full 5L bottle of coolant - it needed the lot to top up my radiator to get home!

My car's been in and out of the mechanics a little recently and they say it's fine, probably just couldn't handle the heat on the day (was about 27deg, so maybe 32 on the track?). I'm gonna get a better radiator and put in my PFC and FMIC and try again. We didn't time, but Dereck guessed I was doing 1.18-1.19 in his GTR. 4WD is such a different ballpark to RWD eh. If only I'd driven one beforeI got the GTST. Then I'd be living on baked beans to keep it running ;)

Oh well, had fun!!! I reckon everyone should go out with Dereck (5th gear) at least once, I learnt heaps and could see what others were doing wrong after only a short stint. But still heaps to improve so I'll go again for sure.

hey Ben you probably should have jus taken it out on the road and gone up the road a few km's and back just sitting on 80. It will actually cool down quicker just cruising and is probably better for the car than letting it sit and boil :w00t:

haha i know it's a little scary when i was at one of the skidpan days it got up to like 3/4 and i was like hmmm i think i will come off now and went for a fair drive...

the one other thing which i got told when i was at the track day is to never put your hand brake on as the pads can fuse to the discs ??? not sure if it's true but everyone was telling me to not do it...

Yeah I heard/read that too, Dereck said he's never seen it or had it happen to him. I think i left it off and just left it in gear/reverse. Boiling coolant STINKS.

Definitely gonna head back out though to: a) verify in the same conditions that the overheating is solved and b) find out what time I can do in this thing!