SAU Community

Boost Gauge Not Working

GTRNUR

Hi all,

The factory boost gauge on my R33 GTR isnt working. Actually its never worked since i bought the car. Where is the sender located for this gauge? I suspect its been unplugged with the AVCR was installed...

Cheers,

Ian

Found the map sensor, and also found the hose that was connected to it that had been left dangling into the abyss under the plenum, not connected to anything.

Where is this connection on the rear of the plenum? Do you mean between the firewall and the plenum directly?

Cheers,

Ian

Found the map sensor, and also found the hose that was connected to it that had been left dangling into the abyss under the plenum, not connected to anything.

Where is this connection on the rear of the plenum? Do you mean between the firewall and the plenum directly?

Cheers,

Ian

The tube that connects in to is at the very rear of the plenum, you can't miss it but I think you will need a new hose you will find it will be hardened and even cracked .

Found it! Started the car and felt around for something making a vacuum. I found a piece of rubber over the end of the hose fitting on the plenum. It that had broken off the main hose that connects to the map sensor.

This explains the occasional fuel smell i'd been noticing too, as well as the rich as hell when on boost, as the AFM's sensing more airflow, but it was leaking it out the hole in the intake. Should be interesting to see how much response I get back.

Thanks WRXHOON!

Edited by Vspec R33

• 1 year later...
This happened to me only a couple weeks ago. It was a cheap $2.50 fix for new hose.

Sorry for bump

i have the same problem - i must be retarted :) after hour and half i still cant find where i have to plug the hose on plenum's end.

boost gauge sits just below 0 as soon as i turn key on to ACC, when started car boost up fine, can feel it, hear turbos spooling up, but gauge doesnt move.

after searching through found this thread and sure enough - hose that goes to boost gauge was just hanging from plenums end :)

any help ? picture will be best :D

cheers

if you found the map sensor up under the edge of the inner guard, next to the brake booster... disconnect the hose from it and start the car. at idle it should pull a vacuum that you can feel on the end of the hose. If the vacuum is there... sensor/wiring issue. If there is no vacuum trace the hose back and see where its broken or split.

Infact check it anyway... Its seems that hose from factory was never good quality. If it were nobody else would have had this problem!

if you found the map sensor up under the edge of the inner guard, next to the brake booster... disconnect the hose from it and start the car. at idle it should pull a vacuum that you can feel on the end of the hose. If the vacuum is there... sensor/wiring issue. If there is no vacuum trace the hose back and see where its broken or split.

Infact check it anyway... Its seems that hose from factory was never good quality. If it were nobody else would have had this problem!

Thanks for the reply

will check hose and replace it just to be sure, i think it is avail at repco/ super cheap auto

was puzled why needle goes to just below zero when key is on ACC? is that normal? even without engine running? couldnt remeber that happening on my gtst...

thanks again :D

It should go a long way below 0 at idle. Youve definatly got a split hose there, and at idle its sucking air in the split, lowering the pressure signal at the gauge's map sensor.

It should go a long way below 0 at idle. Youve definatly got a split hose there, and at idle its sucking air in the split, lowering the pressure signal at the gauge's map sensor.

apologies for hijacking your thread

replaced the vacume hose from plenum to black box\sender

still needle stays just below 0

It should go a long way below 0 at idle - it sits at 0 even with out idleing/engine start - just key turned to ACC

faulty boost gauge/ sender ?

thanks for your input - i will try swapping cluster with another.

Sorted.

new hose - no go

swaped gauge cluster - no go

swaped pressure sender (map sender ?) - all good :laugh:

big :D to Ian for putting me in right direction.

now let me begin searching for a map (is that what it is called?)/black box thingy

is it the same as GTST ?