SAU Community

The Sa Wasteland

Cubes

+1 for pets, the best company.

i even love my fish, when theres nothing on t.v i watch my aquarium for aaaaages...

Yeah fish are great. I have 3 ferrets which are the funniest animal imaginable to watch. Theyre like Tyrone Biggums after he's just snorted a big line, totally hyper...

Our house in general is like a zoo. My bro is doing animal husbandry at uni (after being in the pet biz for 10 years) and we have snakes, scorpions, hermit crabs, turtles, fish, green tree frogs, sugar gliders, a bearded dragon and a water dragon, probably more but I've forgotten just how many we have - its hard to keep track..

-D

Took car to auto electrician this morning - turns out it was the fusible link that had corroded. Dude at the auto leccy replaced it and added two bigger terminals to fit my optima battery. Can't wait to pick it up.... total cost is around the $100 mark too, which is great (considering I was worried that the entire car's electrics had died).

Bonza

-D

To add to this ; picked up the car, its running great and everythings working, and the job was top notch. I have to give it to Clisby Auto Electrical in Nailsworth (Main North Road). I took the car there this morning (without an appointment I might add) and they managed to fit me in today, and didnt charge me too much.

Highly recommended!

-D

HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Does anyone out there know how to install a HID Kit into my s13 its a xenon brand (i think thats how its spelt)

and also, I'm wanting to get my rear traction arms installed too :D

thanks!

Edited by Import S13

ewwwwwwwwwww i'm staying away from your place :D

animals are nothing to be afraid of, provided you're prepared to take the time to learn their ways...even snakes and scorpions...

We even had a pet amazon cockroach. theyre around 2 inches (5cm) long and actually like to be petted, and they can be taught to do tricks (like mazes, and to put their upper body on a cotton spool and walking it along the place...etc)... its great because i can see the individual quirks in all the animals we've had

Still that doesnt mean im a PETA stooge. Bring on the Lamb chops for australia day. Matter of fact, bring me a live cow. I'll carve off what I want to bbq and ride the rest home

-D

woooot just bought this

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...em=130283008443

got it all for 650 :D

pick it up tomoz

That is one HELL of a bargain. Fluval and Eheim are two of the best brands in aquariums. The ideal combination for tropical filtration for a 4 foot aquarium is 2x powerheads connected to a dual pipe undergravel bio filter tho, external filters are ok but not great. theyre like a box filter on steroids...

-D

EDIT - It will be an ordeal to move the fish and turtles in addition to the tank - be prepared to make more than a couple of visits, or get yourself a really large trailer... the fish will need to be bagged up and the turtles will need to be put in a tub, the gravel will fill a few bags, the plants will most likely get severely damaged in transit so take care to put them into a watery bag like the fish, driftwood can be put into the aquarium when its drained.... it'll take a fair while to catch the fish, drain the liquids and load it up so be prepared to spend an entire day doing it. and dont expect the fish to be too happy about it either... ;P

-D

Edited by Dohmar

Hey guys,

I'm looking to buy my first car in the next few weeks (or days). I was wondering what your opinions are of a good first car for a guy my age (almost 20) with a budget of less than 12k. I'd like something new-ish, reliable and that looks reasonable, maybe not a Turbo though as of yet because of insurance. I'd trade it in later for something Turbo-y in 1 or 2 years maybe if I'm still interested in that stuff.

Thanks for any help in advance :P

Hey guys,

I'm looking to buy my first car in the next few weeks (or days). I was wondering what your opinions are of a good first car for a guy my age (almost 20) with a budget of less than 12k. I'd like something new-ish, reliable and that looks reasonable, maybe not a Turbo though as of yet because of insurance. I'd trade it in later for something Turbo-y in 1 or 2 years maybe if I'm still interested in that stuff.

Thanks for any help in advance :P

Well being a skylines forum, we are biased. I am particularly. I got an r31 aus executive auto, blew auto, got manual installed, blew diff, got custom diff installed, lowered it, got mags etc....loved every minute of owning it, and it was on lpg too.... it was the perfect introduction to cars and not too expensive, not too powerful for a beginner, but powerful enough.... aus r31's are a cheap first car, esp if you dont want a turbo. the NA rb30 is no slouch and is a very well balanced engine, and one that is well suited to the beginner.

what to look out for

their interiors dont look so great, the automatic gearboxes have a very harsh shift, manuals are much better. The diffs are often loose and if punishing it (towing etc) you might blow it, depending on age/condition of car. I didnt have any issues with my r31 until I wrote it off ;P One thing to remember is theyre usually fairly old. If going for an aus r31, get a series 3, 1989 or 1990 - theyre the r31s with the hotplate tail and the sleek looking front end... the exec is the bottom model, the silhouette the top model (aside from the gts1 and gts2 - which are outside the 12k pricerange). Shop around, there are loads of great r31's out there. And when you hit 25 you can buy a turbo and not pay a huge insurance penalty... thats what I did at least

-D

-D

Well being a skylines forum, we are biased. I am particularly. I got an r31 aus executive auto, blew auto, got manual installed, blew diff, got custom diff installed, lowered it, got mags etc....loved every minute of owning it, and it was on lpg too.... it was the perfect introduction to cars and not too expensive, not too powerful for a beginner, but powerful enough.... aus r31's are a cheap first car, esp if you dont want a turbo. the NA rb30 is no slouch and is a very well balanced engine, and one that is well suited to the beginner.

what to look out for

their interiors dont look so great, the automatic gearboxes have a very harsh shift, manuals are much better. The diffs are often loose and if punishing it (towing etc) you might blow it, depending on age/condition of car. I didnt have any issues with my r31 until I wrote it off ;P One thing to remember is theyre usually fairly old. If going for an aus r31, get a series 3, 1989 or 1990 - theyre the r31s with the hotplate tail and the sleek looking front end... the exec is the bottom model, the silhouette the top model (aside from the gts1 and gts2 - which are outside the 12k pricerange). Shop around, there are loads of great r31's out there. And when you hit 25 you can buy a turbo and not pay a huge insurance penalty... thats what I did at least

-D

-D

Thanks for the info, but looking for something newer... no older than 10 years :P

Thanks for the info, but looking for something newer... no older than 10 years :P

well i dunno if you'll get a 99 r33 or r34 depending on what was avail, for 12k that is.... and even then, you're young and i wouldnt bother with such cars, as your insurance is going to kill you most likely

-D

ooo yay, we're on the topics of pets and animals!!

I have a 11kg maltese x shih tzu named Rikki, a black & white domestic semi-longhair cat (a fancy name for a moggy, lol) named Neko Mei, which is japanese for dark cat, a cockatiel, an Eastern Longneck turtle, 3 green tree frogs and i recently set up a 130L aquarium in which i am going to keep South American dwarf cichlids :P Even my turtle has two pet rosy barbs that he decided not to eat! I don't know what i'd do if i didnt work at an animal supplies store... i think i'd be broke!!

My love of animals runs back to primary school and i've got 6 months left of my B.Sc Animal Science at Adelaide uni. Yay!!

Sez

well i dunno if you'll get a 99 r33 or r34 depending on what was avail, for 12k that is.... and even then, you're young and i wouldnt bother with such cars, as your insurance is going to kill you most likely

-D

Nah, I didn't just mean Skylines, any car I'm lookig into.

Nah, I didn't just mean Skylines, any car I'm lookig into.

well im not being facetious when i say this, but i believe you can get early toyota prius hybrids for $12k

theyre a good car. they have the same chassis as the australian seca (which is a pretty good car) but has all the goodies. if you're after economy, safety, reliability, low maintainence car, that is the one i personally would buy. i think they rock.

-d

That is one HELL of a bargain. Fluval and Eheim are two of the best brands in aquariums. The ideal combination for tropical filtration for a 4 foot aquarium is 2x powerheads connected to a dual pipe undergravel bio filter tho, external filters are ok but not great. theyre like a box filter on steroids...

-D

EDIT - It will be an ordeal to move the fish and turtles in addition to the tank - be prepared to make more than a couple of visits, or get yourself a really large trailer... the fish will need to be bagged up and the turtles will need to be put in a tub, the gravel will fill a few bags, the plants will most likely get severely damaged in transit so take care to put them into a watery bag like the fish, driftwood can be put into the aquarium when its drained.... it'll take a fair while to catch the fish, drain the liquids and load it up so be prepared to spend an entire day doing it. and dont expect the fish to be too happy about it either... ;P

-D

yeah it is a massive bargain, i just hope he sticks to his word and actually gives it to me for 650.

he hasnt stopped the auction yet and its already up to 200 + with 8 days to go......

it will be a big move, the turtles will be getting sold to pet store as soon as i get them, i dont want them

and as for the fish, well, my angels and gouramis will prob eat them lol.

not gonna hire a trailer, wendys boss will be lending us the work van :P

Edited by craig R33

yeah it is a massive bargain, i just hope he sticks to his word and actually gives it to me for 650.

he hasnt stopped the auction yet and its already up to 200 + with 8 days to go......

it will be a big move, the turtles will be getting sold to pet store as soon as i get them, i dont want them

and as for the fish, well, my angels and gouramis will prob eat them lol.

not gonna hire a trailer, wendys boss will be lending us the work van :P

how much do u want for the turtles? If its not much, i can give them a home here with 3 others and a big enclosure to run around in

-D

EDIT the fish probably wont survive the transport considering you have to setup and acclimatise the tank before you put them in there. usually people put them in an intermediate tank, so if you already have one you'll have to put them in there for the first week, then xfer everyone to the big tank - if you dont think theyll survive, try and find someone to take them in...

Edited by Dohmar

make an offer man.

EDIT: i have a tropicaL setup atm, but not enough room to house the newbies...

so will prob also sell them to pet shop (they not the best lookin fish anyway)

if i can, i wanna keep the cloen loach i can see lurking between the driftwood though.

Edited by craig R33

make an offer man.

EDIT: i have a tropicaL setup atm, but not enough room to house the newbies...

so will prob also sell them to pet shop (they not the best lookin fish anyway)

if i can, i wanna keep the cloen loach i can see lurking between the driftwood though.

clown loach will easily settle in. bottom feeders are low threat to the rest of the fish.

see if PK pets stepney will take them, otherwise ask your local doctors surgery. many of them have a fishtank

-D

I agree with Ben, that the whole experience will be extremely stressful for the fish and even the turtles. Try to keep as much old tank water as possible, if you can. Also, don't let any of the filter media dry out. If you want to get your fish into the new tank as quick and safe as possible i would recommend a product called Seachem Stability. It will introduce extra good bacteria into your tank and if you use it consistently for 7 days, you will be able to move you fish to the new tank straight away and while your there you might as well upgrade filter media to Seachem matrix.. hold 20x more bacteria that ceramic noodles so you'll be able to keep more fish in the tank!

I love seachem!! They make some wicked aquarium products!

Where do you live Craig?

Sez

Edited by Ryan&Sez