SAU Community

Things That Are And Arent Engineerable

BallSx

pretty sure your talking about a vent to atmo wastegate in this instance and not a BOV

so what exactly do you have to do to make your car legal? who do you take it to?

take to engineer first, then take to epa and get a cert from them as well?

No. Modify it, take it to an engineer; they will tell you if it is or is not compliant with ADR. If it's not, you can fix it up so it is, return, and get a certificate; certifying by an engineer that the car is compliant with ADR, thus rendering it legal. The car must then be taken to a weight station, weighed... blue slipped again, done. (last time i went through it anyways :P which was after a defect/rego was also out... the blue slip guy barely looked at the damn thing once he saw the certificate!)

To the best of my knowledge; Atmo BOV's are to do with NOISE emissions.... nothing else! But i can see how it would mess up mixtures also...

pretty sure your talking about a vent to atmo wastegate in this instance and not a BOV

so what exactly do you have to do to make your car legal? who do you take it to?

u always get defected for adjustable/programable things no matter wat u do, u will always get devected for anything atmo and there is nothing stopping them eva from sending to the pits or emmissions.

thats how stuffed it is.

Edited by BallSx

u always get defected for adjustable/programable things no matter wat u do

This is because you're not allowed to adjust how the engine is running from inside the cabin. It's part of ADR.

Here's roughly what I did:

* Get a list from the RTA's website about the authorised Signatories (those are

engineers that can "sign off" on your car).

* Talk to those engineers closest to me regarding the modifications I planned to

make, and find one that was willing to approve "in theory" all my proposed mods.

Make sure you tell them _everything_ you plan to do.

* Make the modifications, ensuring that I stuck to the plan. Note that now the

vehicle is unroadworthy so you should plan not to drive it.

* Have the engineer inspect the vehicle, and prepare a report - takes about 2-3 days.

If anything needs rectifying before the report is prepared, do it.

* Take the report to the RTA, and file it with them (they will keep the original).

Keep a copy (has to be also signed/stamped by the engineer) in the glove box.

* Drive my modified car around, legally.

The NSW EPA has nothing to do with this process. The EPA was "called into existence"

by the PROTECTION OF THE ENVIRONMENT ADMINISTRATION ACT 1991:

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/con.../poteaa1991485/

and administers the PROTECTION OF THE ENVIRONMENT OPERATIONS ACT 1997

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/con.../poteoa1997455/

as well as PROTECTION OF THE ENVIRONMENT OPERATIONS (CLEAN AIR) REGULATION 2002

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/con...poteoar2002601/

amongst other things (full-ish list at http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/legal/envacts.htm ).

We're basically concerned with s154-166 of the 1997 Act and s7-19

of the 2002 Regulation - those sections set out the EPA powers with reference to motor vehicles

specially; although I guess the EPA's power to issue PEPs may also be of interest.

Basically, they can issue a notice for repair if a vehicle has anti-pollution gear removed (e.g.

cat convertor, muffler, charcoal canister) or if it is emitting (or suspected to be emitting)

excessive air impurities (the Act has no hard definition for exact quantities, but relates

"excessive" back to the "class of vehicle" - most likely referring to ADR 79); or if the vehicle

has been modified such that it can take leaded petrol when it's not supposed to.

The important bit is that in NSW, these Acts do not mention specific modifications to vehicles

(e.g. no pod filters); only compliance or non-compliance with the emissions requirements.

Regards,

Saliya

Edited by saliya

So to be safe, you need to have a stock looking car, black intercooler, low mount turbo, stock filter box and BOV and then you can mod your engine internals, turbo, fuel etc etc as much as you want!

another reason for atmo BOVs being emissions, would also be the pcv valve is generally plumed in and in theory would vent hydrocarbons(oil vapors) to the atmosphere when expelling the compressed air. noise also plays a big part in it.

not to affend anyone, but harleys generally make more noise than my skyline.

as do trucks, and police sirens. dont forget cops are basically above the law,"theres no such thing as safe speeding", unless youre a cop. 100km/h+ no lights, no sirens, down my quiet street one night(i was standing out the front)

oh, with the enclosed pod filters, wot about ba xr8s? could i use 2 of their pods and be legal?

Unfortunately there is a lot of double standards when it comes to the law - ADR, EPA, etc. Prime example is noise pollution. Noise is noise and should apply to all types of vehicles and parts thereof. Cars, bikes, and trucks all have different noise pollution levels and are not on the same restrictions. Even within each class of vehicle there are differring categories. Futhermore, noise pollution from pods does not equal noise pollution from exhausts.

Many of the defects are issued at the police officers discretion, so what saliya said is very applicable. Don't be a dickhead and you might not cop a dickhead attitude in return - and a whole lot of fines/defects.

I got pulled up tonight by cops they went through my whole car checked all my papers , Mind you i just finished clearing all my defects and epa defects , All the paperwork i had they had nothing on me , I even invested in a Electronic Silencer i pressed the button before they pulled me up so its sound like a stocker, And when i drove off flicked the switch back to my race exsaust ..

good luck everyone else..

i am going to invest in one of those, especially the way my car lumps now its become much deeper and louder and its kinda doing my head in alittle :S xforce 400bux not bad for a muffler.

Edited by BallSx

i got pulled up a few months ago and the young cop went over my car saying "seats are $600 and 4 points, BOV is $200 and 2 points" etc etc etc, then he goes "i could have your license gone in one go but ill let you go", yet ive never been done for speeding and i consider myself a fan of safe driving. i just think its bs how last night i had to give way to a BA XR8 falcon otherwise he would have smashed into a parked car on the left, yet if i have a few mods but drive sensibly then i lose my license while bogans in falcons keep driving their so called "sport sedans" like p0rn stars. blahh, can't wait till the new GTR comes out then i wont have to worry about modifying ;) factory 0-100 in 3.3 ill be up for that :banana: