SAU Community

New Radiator

KrisG

I am looking at getting a new radiator soon, one of those alloy ones. Just jap have them at a decent price. Does anyone have one and if so what is the quality like. How does it perform compared to the stock one? Thank you.

a new radiator will always be a good step, but u need to have the rest of the system fully cleaned and flushed to work properly.

Do u have the heater core system hooked up and flushed...have u had the motor power flushed, have u had the clutch fan (the clutch) replaced, new radiator cap etc?

All of these things when serviced and running properly will give u the best cooling for your car, rather than replacing 1 item. Even ppl who have swapped out the fans for themos wonder why they get poor performace form cooling when their std system was running so poorly to start.

U cant go wrong with the std cooling system for the best performance, but it has to be looked after.

a new radiator will always be a good step, but u need to have the rest of the system fully cleaned and flushed to work properly.

Do u have the heater core system hooked up and flushed...have u had the motor power flushed, have u had the clutch fan (the clutch) replaced, new radiator cap etc?

All of these things when serviced and running properly will give u the best cooling for your car, rather than replacing 1 item. Even ppl who have swapped out the fans for themos wonder why they get poor performace form cooling when their std system was running so poorly to start.

U cant go wrong with the std cooling system for the best performance, but it has to be looked after.

So what do i need then? Can i do the flushing myself or should i get a radiator place to do it? Ive been looking for a guide on flushing the cooling system but ive not found one.

a rad place can do a power flush where they force the crap out. They can also tell u how clogged the system is, and even do a leak test afterwards to ensure u wont be losing any coolant.

Or u can do it yourself, but it will be fiddly. One method for the heater core is to connect up the hose to the firewall hoses and flush the heater core out. Then u can see how blocked it is in there by the flow coming out. The engine u can just run one of the coolant cleanout bottles through it for a week or so, then dump and replace with coolant. The rad u can take it out the car and just reverse flush that...replace the thermostat with a std nissan item, and new rad cap. Bleed system and yer away...

Id just ask the rad shop if it was me though for piece of mind.