SAU Community

Howzit Guys!

What's up people we all love Skylines so we have something in common right there, awesome cars for sure aren't they!

Been in aussie 2 years originally from South Africa also lived in NZ for 6 years and yer, you can call me JJ :)

I gotta say there are definitely some nice Skylines in AUS, but I also have to admit that I'm stabbin myself in the foot for not buying 1 over there and bringing it with me, I'd have saved a tonne. Cars here are hell expensive wtf?

Anyway, just bought an auto R33 HR33 (RB20E) bring on the whining - hahaha I know (at least it came with a GTR front bar and mags, choice aye LOL). Only bought it because I could get it pretty cheap and I want the R33 body. Plans are to either shove a RB25DE in it and add a massive turbo or just, depending on the finances, dump a RB26DETT in there. Obviously will have to do the suspension as well, 4 -> 5 stud wheel conversion + brakes, engine management and perhaps a few other little things. The work won't be done by me as I don't have time.. I'm interested in what you all think about it, obviously knowing the aus car scene better than me. I'm actually looking for a RB25DE with manual gearbox at the moment, so if there are any known cheap places out there to pick them up, or for jap parts/engines in general, please let me know. Based in QLD but not worried about paying freight or whatever. Depending on the replies in this thread I might make another thread, look forward to hearing what everyone has to say. Cheers :(

PS: Also wondering how much the engine conversion including the cost of the engine (say for the RB25DE just to start off with) would cost, and prices for any of the other mods as well.

buying an RB20E equipped R33's an interesting choice... esp since the price difference between them and an R33 GTSt or even a GTS25 is around $1000 to $2000... much less than what an engine swap will cost you.

As for upgrades... an RB30ET would be my engine of choice, simply because putting an RB30E or RB30ET into an RB20E equipped car is very very easy. Whereas with a DOHC you have to change the loom and everything. Lotta VL guys are getting good power out of SOHC RB30ET's, plenty of cheap parts, and best of all you get to run around with a "holden" rocker cover and freak everyone out when you pop the bonnet.

Mmmm well I was lookin on ebay, carsales, carpoint you name it for about 3 weeks and I couldn't find a single skyline for sale under 5grand, or listed for that I should say. I also checked redbook and it seems their private sale prices are pretty hectic, real high. Round here there aren't many cars that sell for cheap if you get what I'm sayin, have 2 go to brizzy to find them. I doubt that a R33 GTS[T] can be found for 6-7 grand, I paid 5 for it - I dont have any contacts on the scene here either so it's not really something doable for me. Even if so I'm on my P's and with the QLD laws, there's not much I can do to get around the "no turbo" bullshit. Didn't really have a choice.

If you ask me doing an engine conversion with a reasonably fresh RB25DE will cost less than buying one (with high KM's that has been thrashed) and even if not, I'll know it HASN'T been thrashed and that it has just been put in, no hassles anytime soon down the track. I'm kinda tempted to try find a VQ35DE (the 180kW version) from a 350Z, love the way the revs climb up + sound is nicer than a RB25DE[t] as well, to me anyway. Not to mention I'll be clearing all the laws (specifically the no turbo and 200kW N/A restrictions) and be sitting with a pretty unique ride with heaps of power. Aint after a SOHC there's more to it than just costs mate - and I'm not exactly a holden fanatic either put it that way, but thanks for the suggestion aye :)

Edited by ¯ڑôhàññ隯

an R33 GTS is the regular R33 with RB20E SOHC engine. an R33 GTS25 is the one with an RB25DE, but there's virtually no R33 GTS's in the country (they all came in under the old CPA import scheme where there was no power to weight requirement) so everyone pretty much assumes when you say R33 GTS you're actually talking about an R33 GTS25.

Ah didn't realise you were on your P's... in that case RB25DE might be the way to go, but I like your VQ35DE idea a lot, I've been toying with putting one in my R32. Its a great engine. 5K is a pretty good buy, but you also have to consider there's more to it than just an engine... you'll have to upgrade your brakes and hubs to equivalent parts for example if you want to get it engineered.

an R33 GTS is the regular R33 with RB20E SOHC engine. an R33 GTS25 is the one with an RB25DET, but there's virtually no R33 GTS's in the country (they all came in under the old CPA import scheme where there was no power to weight requirement) so everyone pretty much assumes when you say R33 GTS you're actually talking about an R33 GTS25.

Ah didn't realise you were on your P's... in that case RB25DE might be the way to go, but I like your VQ35DE idea a lot, I've been toying with putting one in my R32. Its a great engine. 5K is a pretty good buy, but you also have to consider there's more to it than just an engine... you'll have to upgrade your brakes and hubs to equivalent parts for example if you want to get it engineered.

Actually bruva, the GTS25 is just the RB25DE - no turbo[t], the GTS-T is the RB25DET. That makes the Nissan Skyline R33 GTS - RB20E SOHC. The RB20E's were built in relatively large numbers in Japan and used as company cars for the employees of the factories, and yes there are very few in the country that is true :)

NRV155 = I knew all about what I'd have to do when I bought it, but I didn't see why I should have bothered with a GTS25 (RB25DE) when it was going to cost me what.. 4k extra. I can spend 4k on this and have a better car. Only makes sense.

About the brakes etc, I mentioned that in my first post --> doing the 5 stud conversion and so on - not really fussed about the costs, engine will cost the most obviously so ya that's where the focus is. The VQ35DE is a really interesting idea I think as well, but then again, how much do you pay for a VQ35DE? Don't know how common they are and they're probably pretty expensive, haven't seen any advertised online at jap import garages or forums, so I'm assuming they're somewhat hard to get a hold of. I recon a sleeper black R33 debadged with a VQ35DE would be awesome, nobody would know WHAT the hell you got under the hood, they'll just hear this awesome sound n think wtfff? Lets try him, n get smoked. Could make for a pretty unique car aye.

PS: What would you fellas guess a 94 R33 GTS (RB20E) to be worth? Just out of curiosity.

Edited by ¯ڑôhàññ隯