SAU Community

Hi Guys. New to thread.

XM-

Hi All, I'm Matt & very recently picked up an original, clean RB32 v spec II. Live in Sydney & just happy to pick up any info or advice that may come my way through this Forum. There appears some very knowledgeable and talented members & contributors about. 

I look forward to getting to know anyone who loves cars irrespective of their engineering skill. 

Matt

MMP-1891-49.thumb.jpg.02bf8ad41dd2be831c924ed53e0dd3b4.jpgMMP-1821-2.thumb.jpg.42d3b4a75c2281476db1403d9208c5c3.jpg 

Edited by XM-
Upload pics
  • Like 3

Hi Rob,

Thank you for the welcome. I appreciate it. It seems tidy - I was in the right place at the right time to buy it from a collector who was selling off some of GTRs. This was his most original apparently. He’s looking to purchase a GT3RS which was the way he wants his collection to move.

As far as my plans for the car: initially I want to lighten it as far as possible - and reasonable given it’s a regularly driven street car. I’ll aim to start with wheels/tire, seats, spare tire/jack/tools, front seats, replace the 40lb battery a lithium one and a lightweight exhaust. There’s a great thread on the NZ or UK GTR site detailing weight savings strategies. 

The door cards are safe as is aircon, for the latter however, there’s a really nice kit being fitted to 70s air cooled Porsches that weighs 6kg in total I’d like to fit rather than the factory system which has to be 40+lbs in total.

First I need to change all the fluids. It’s been in storage for the last 5 years.

Thanks again for the welcome and kind comments Rob.

Matt

Lives in Sydney, talks in pounds. Weird.

And, on that theme, you're not going to find wheels that save you much weight over what you've got. Not trying to dissuade you from putting whatever wheels on you like, just pointing out that there's not a lot of weight saving to be had there. Ditto the front seats. You want to put a road legal seat in it, expect it to not weigh much less than the original seat.

If you're serious about getting the weight out of it, there's speakers and the stock amplifier, all the HICAS componentry, the tool kit and boot lining/trim, rear seatbelts, headlining, interior lights, carpet and underlay, rear half of console. Removing much of that will save you the equivalent of a couple of bags of shopping and make it a miserable place to be. (Just pointing out that lightweighting a street car is a bit of a waste of time).

1 hour ago, XM- said:

.....First I need to change all the fluids. It’s been in storage for the last 5 years.....

Great place to start and a surprisingly big job in a GTR.....

Engine oil

Front diff oil

Rear diff oil

Gearbox oil

Transfer case fluid

ATTESSA fluid

Coolant

Brake Fluid

Clutch Fluid

Power Steering /HICAS fluid

Washer Fluid

• Like 3

I did my apprenticeship in imperial measurements, I've still got imperial steel rules I sometimes use, it annoys the he'll out of people sometimes, probably why I keep them around, typically anyone born after 1970 

You gotta stop posting on your phone.

And whilst I can see people using imperial length units and even psi and similar, because those are still very convenient units to work with if you're familiar with them.....pounds as a unit of weight is just cracked. I mean, the pound when talking about weight is not even the same pound in psi.

I can freely convert between BTUs and Joules in my head. Same with feet, inches, yard, to SI. Same with most pressure units. Same with some viscosity units, etc etc etc. But imperial weights and forces are stupid. They have 9 different sorts of tons, weight and force units that sound the same but have a factor of 32.2. For some reason they like to measure pressure as a column height of some random liquid, then wonder why their shit doesn't work on Mars.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Duncan said:

Great place to start and a surprisingly big job in a GTR.....

Engine oil

Front diff oil

Rear diff oil

Gearbox oil

Transfer case fluid

ATTESSA fluid

Coolant

Brake Fluid

Clutch Fluid

Power Steering /HICAS fluid

Washer Fluid

And it's not even a BMW!

15 hours ago, XM- said:

Hi All, I'm Matt & very recently picked up an original, clean RB32 v spec II. Live in Sydney & just happy to pick up any info or advice that may come my way through this Forum. There appears some very knowledgeable and talented members & contributors about. 

I look forward to getting to know anyone who loves cars irrespective of their engineering skill. 

Matt

MMP-1891-49.thumb.jpg.02bf8ad41dd2be831c924ed53e0dd3b4.jpgMMP-1821-2.thumb.jpg.42d3b4a75c2281476db1403d9208c5c3.jpg 

Welcome! The. Vspec II is an absolute fave of mine. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress but I'm not gonna lie, I'd prefer to see it kept factory and well maintained. 🥺

9 hours ago, XM- said:

Hi Rob,

Thank you for the welcome. I appreciate it. It seems tidy - I was in the right place at the right time to buy it from a collector who was selling off some of GTRs. This was his most original apparently. He’s looking to purchase a GT3RS which was the way he wants his collection to move.

As far as my plans for the car: initially I want to lighten it as far as possible - and reasonable given it’s a regularly driven street car. I’ll aim to start with wheels/tire, seats, spare tire/jack/tools, front seats, replace the 40lb battery a lithium one and a lightweight exhaust. There’s a great thread on the NZ or UK GTR site detailing weight savings strategies. 

The door cards are safe as is aircon, for the latter however, there’s a really nice kit being fitted to 70s air cooled Porsches that weighs 6kg in total I’d like to fit rather than the factory system which has to be 40+lbs in total.

First I need to change all the fluids. It’s been in storage for the last 5 years.

Thanks again for the welcome and kind comments Rob.

Matt

What is your experience with stripping/lightening a street car, have you done this before with another car?

• 2 weeks later...