SAU Community

Unanswered Questions About The R35

carizma

Whether Nissan brings them in, or only private importers, doesn't make much difference to prospective buyers.

As long as they're available here in reasonable numbers within a reasonable timeframe.

the same damn government that's got one of the best import laws for a country with its own automotive manufacturing industry?

No, the same govt whose protectionist taxes, duties and double taxes increase the end cost of such cars as this. I wonder what the price of an R35 would be if the govt didn't hit us/manufacturers with all these taxes.

Cheers for that. That was what I was missing. RAWS can only do used cars so we are back to 18 months of waiting to see what Nissan does.

these two docs might be of help:

http://www.superfunhappysliders.com/images...y_flowchart.gif

http://www.superfunhappysliders.com/images...bilty_table.gif

From memory our current emmisions requirements are equivalent to Euro 2 via ADR79/01. Since the 35GTR will be sold in Europe it will obviously have to pass Euro 2 standards to be elligible there. The currently available (JDM) 35GTR may only pass the Japanese standards, not the Euro standard. But I don't see that as an issue as it will have to eventually, so it may simply be a matter of uploading or changing the ECU and perhaps fitting some Euro standard (fast warm up) cats. None of which is a big deal. Obviously if it goes on sale in Australia then it will simply be a matter of duplicating what is done to the Ozzie version.

As an asside, the major problem with passing Euro 2 emmisions that I have seen with JDM vehicles (M35 Stagea being one of them) is cold start and run. The cat/cats simply don't warm up fast enough. When the engine is warm (but not yet up to running temperature) they are OK, but only just. Once the engine is up to operating temperature they have no problems at all.

Personally, I will be waiting until the 35GTR's are on sale in Europe before I order mine.

Cheers

Gary

No, the same govt whose protectionist taxes, duties and double taxes increase the end cost of such cars as this. I wonder what the price of an R35 would be if the govt didn't hit us/manufacturers with all these taxes.

Protectionist taxes (duties) = 10% (it used to be 42%)

Luxury Car Tax (on the value over $57,123) = 25%

GST (same as on everything) = 10%

So the real "protectionist taxes and duties" are only 10%, as locally produced vehicles are subject to GST and the LCT applies if they are over the cost threshold just the same.

Cheers

Gary