SAU Community

Clutch issues

Brody

Hey,

Got a new clutch put in by CAS, and had a few problems since. Its gone back to their shop though just after a few peoples opinions...

I had a clutch put in to handle 250rwkw, not sure what type/brand.

Gear changing is very rough, no matter what i do, went for a ride in a r33, and gear changing was beyond smooth, you virtually couldn't tell the difference between changing gears, should i expect this in my r32?

The friction point is round an inch from the clutch being fully released, there isn't any play, it simply grabs and thats it

last problem ive noticed, is if i cruise for say 20 min, idle the car for 15 while i talk to mates or something, the clutch will slip to the ****house after that...

Any suggestions on what i should be expecting?

Hi Brodie,

I would imagine that they put in a brass button/puck clutch and a HD pressure plate.

Basically the clutch shouldn't slip, but of course that means that it makes for a very rough and jerky ride until you get use to it.

250rwkw is a fair amount of power, so you probably have a rather heavy duty clutch installed.

Do you know if they put in a multi plate clutch? When you start talking these levels of power, a multiplate clutch would be a better alternative (Although very costly).

With regards to the slipping issue, I can only think that either the clutch plate is getting some very small amounts of oil on it, or that maybe something is seeping off the clutch when it gets hot. It shouldn't be slipping though.

Good luck and hopefully everything will be sorted out.

Cheers,

Tim

Hey thanks for the reply,

I got my car back yesterday, they put a new flywheel in. The old 1 was unbalanced and aparently dead. With the new wheel in, the clutch is *much* easier to handle, and has alot more play room.

In regards to idling then the clutch slipping, i tested it a few times last nite and all seemed good, so fingers crossed ;P