SAU Community

Replacement clutch recommendation for an R32 GTR

djr81

Does anyone have a recommendation for a replacement clutch for my R32 R.  I currently have a Nismo twin plate (The super copper mix one) and it is, in short, horrible.  Happy with the twin plates, happy with the lightened flywheel its just that the friction surface is sticky and horrible to slip It makes driving the car around town a chore.

Output is 450rwhp only.

Ok, by now everyone knows I am an avid ATS advocate and consider them to be the absolute best clutch on the market bar none. So at that power level, if you had say an ATS spec 1 carbon triple rated at 1400hp you would likely never need to replace the clutch again - ever. I have them in both my 32 and 33 and the way they are progressive is on another level compared to any ceramic or metallic based clutch. Only downside is price, they are off their head expensive now at around $5k, but you do get what you pay for.

If budget is a concern at around the $2.5k mark Xtreme now make their own carbon twin, and is probably what I would get if an ATS is too much of a stretch.

I love the ats carbon clutches but the price is insane. I have an xtreme 230mm organic twin in mine currently and I love it!! So easy to drive and light under foot and only about 1500 new 

As @r32-25t mentioned the organic Xtreme twin plate is a great option for drivability if the carbons are still too much. Probably the best value for money vs quality multiplate on the market for sure.

Make no mistake though organic plates won't last as long as a carbon when launching, but nicer on flywheels than ceramic or metallic plates.

It doesn't get launched very often, if at all.  Not much interested in drags or hillclimbs.  The Nismo clutch is good other than all that copper makes it feel sticky underfoot.  Cost is not a huge issue but I don't think I really want to spend $5k on a clutch. Ill have a look at the Xtreme option.  Thanks for the recommendation.

I used to have a HKS twin plate which was pretty rattly but it had bugger all flywheel so got slipped a fair bit and hence worn out.

8 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

NPC 10" single plate organic will be more than enough with that power output.

Yeah but why would ya ? For the competitive price of the Xtreme 230mm twins you are getting a chromoly flywheel with it as opposed to using a stock / stock type flywheel with the single.

Not to mention backup from ACS in Adelaide is miles better than NPC.

• Like 1

Yeah, can't fault ACS. They gave me a near complete replacement on a clutch that I had been dailying for years when it did something weird and turned one of the springs inside out. They couldn't explain why it shat itself, couldn't blame me for such an odd failure, so just ponied up. I would have been happy with any contribution from them at all, let alone nearly all of it.

18 hours ago, BK said:

Yeah but why would ya ? For the competitive price of the Xtreme 230mm twins you are getting a chromoly flywheel with it as opposed to using a stock / stock type flywheel with the single.

Not to mention backup from ACS in Adelaide is miles better than NPC.

Just had a look at prices, you're correct!

Damn, I'm out of touch with car part prices these days lol.. I've had the same clutch in the R33 since when it made stock power till when the motor went bang at 400kW+

• 1 year later...
On 11/24/2020 at 12:57 AM, oktaytrz said:

Sorry to kick up an old thread, but I'm in the market for a clutch now. Went through this site and I saw the stage 2 was cheaper than stage 1. Overall the prices are really good and I just wanted to know if the company is legit. 

I was looking to get some what of an OEM+ clutch. Power is near stock and don't forsee me putting more into it. 

Appreciate the response and assistance. 

On 6/30/2022 at 3:04 PM, r32-25t said:

If leaving it stock is your intention either fit a stock clutch or at most a heavy duty organic

Well stock isn't the intention, I'd like to eventually add some power adders, but at this time it is relatively stock due to the GTR tax 😆

I checked out mantic and they got some good prices, but I'm hesitant. 

https://www.manticclutch.com/nissan/skyline/1989/2-6-ltr-twin-turbo-rb26dett-208kw/r32-8-89-2-93-gtr?make=1820&model=1946&year=1991&y_id=3052&engine=2.6 Ltr Twin Turbo, RB26DETT, 208kw&e_id=3241&series=4284