SAU Community

Rb History

Researching the history of the RB engine and I've got conflicting dates for when it was first introduced.

Some say 1985, others just don't give a commencement date.

Does anyone have this information in a form that proves the introduction occurred in 1985, when & where that happened.

Factory advertising, product brochures, whatever as long as it actually gives the date.

thanks folks

as far as I can tell from a book I've read recently its 1985 August. its called "world car guide Vol 25: Skyline" by Neko Publishing. First RB engine was an RB20E according to it, equipped in an R31 E-HR31 sedan. I'll do some digging in my japanese books and see what else I can find.

The english wiki's kinda off on a few things I've found in the past... seems to agree with what I've read on this one.

edit: the only other thing I could find of any importance was that the RD28 (12 valve SOHC diesel variant of the RB engine) was released in the Y30 Cedric/Gloria in June 1985, although it was developed concurrently with the RB engines. Also an LPG carby fed RB called and RB20P was released in June 1987.

from a book I've read recently its 1985 August. its called "world car guide Vol 25: Skyline" by Neko Publishing. First RB engine was an RB20E according to it, equipped in an R31 E-HR31 sedan

Thanks Shan (funkymonkey),

Really useful info, I'll chase up a copy of that book.

Yeah, sometimes wiki really is flaky but a published book would allow me to establish that the RB was a pre '86 engine.

That's the first step toward an RB powered 240Z rally car.

Edited by aarc240