SAU Community

A shudder in 3rd

PJKJ

Hey guys/Gals

I was on the way back from the coast on Sat nite and was having a friendly blat with another car . I was in 5th, went down to 4th then back to 3rd and took off.. I was taking it out in 3rd. I think it was around 5and 1/2 to 6 k when i felt a shudder..I changed to 4th straight away and it was ok.. I drove to Brisbane and then back to Ipswich ok. I was curious as to what that shudder was. I probably shouldnt have taken 3rd out so far. Just worried i stuffed something by what i did

Cheers

Richmond

Hi,

I have a similar problem with my 93 r33gtst.

When flooring it, the car surges at around 5 - 5500rpm. The boost seems to be peaking at about 8-9psi.

It happens all the time when the right foot is flat, however, hold the acc just a smidgeon off full throttle, and it is sweet.

It happens more in the cold, sometimes surging both at 4 and 5000rpm. Once it is past these revs, it continues on up to the rev limiter.

I have had a couple of guys listen to it, doens't seems to be pinging, no strange noises. The car is totally stock, stock i/c, exh, wheels etc. Looks to be in good condition. The car is 1 weeks old. I haven't checed the plugs yet, or cam timing, but I don't think it is that anyway

My only thoughts is that it might be the fuel cut?? or some kind of protection circuits coming into play or something along those lines. Dunno, but it is driving me insane because anytime I give it a bit, I have a surge, lost ground to dunnydores, then spend my time catching up.

If anyone could let me know what's the go it would be fantastic.

Cheers for that Macka,

Will try it on the weekend.

Unfortunately at the moment my car is getting the clutch replaced under warranty. The car is only 1 week old (Although I did know the clutch was on the way out when I bought it).

Oh well better then wasting money on a piece of ****e commodore.

Macka,

The boost is stock, I just have noticed that when I have the shuddering/surging problem it seems to be a smidgeon higher than 7psi. But apart from that I haven't touched the boost at all.

I actually haven't fried the clutch, the clutch was faulty when I bought it. I have been through far too many hassles with Suzuki GTi's (don't ask) to know about ****ing clutches.

I have treated my girl real nice, no burnouts or any stupid **** like that. I can't afford to have my car off the road because I use it for work.

Basically the car yard agreed to replace my clutch because it wore out so soon. I called up AVWG, the initally said they would cover it, then they palmed the blame off on to the car yard.

Anyway, hopefully I can work out something to get a heavy duty, cause my mates Skyline did the same thing to 3 clutches (while still at the workshop).

Anyway, does anyone have more ideas about this surging problem??

Cheers