SAU Community

Varex Muffler.

KezR33

I'm thinking about getting one of these simply so I don't wake the house (and neighborhood) when I leave for work at 5am.

I've read on these forums about some possible problems, including getting them wet or too hot. I'm wondering if this was just theory or actual experience.

Any experience on using a varex muffler on any car would be greatly appreciated, because I need to replace my current muffler rather soon.

Thanks.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why not use a silencer? Easy to bolt in, and on weekends just rip it out :yes:

It's more so I don't wake everyone on weekends too, and I can muffle the car quickly if I spot the police on the weekend. Nothing worse than having to pull away from a booze bus with 100+ db exhaust. That's how my mate got picked up, he saw the cop take his rego as he pulled away, then a week later he got a letter saying he needed a volume test.

Silencers are just chatty and give a real nasty note. The varex is convenient in that you can shut it up when you want just by pressing a button. My mate has one on his wrx, with it open it is around 100db and with it closed it sits on 85db. No dramas with his reguarding wet or hot etc. For $400 they're a good buy.

Silencers are just chatty and give a real nasty note. The varex is convenient in that you can shut it up when you want just by pressing a button. My mate has one on his wrx, with it open it is around 100db and with it closed it sits on 85db. No dramas with his reguarding wet or hot etc. For $400 they're a good buy.

Depends what exhaust you have mate. I find that if you have an insanely loud exhaust and you silence it, it sounds as good as unsilenced. I have a Blitz Nur Spec and when silenced sounds practically the same, except quieter.

Hey,

I have a Varex on my R33.

The sound difference is very noticeable and defiantly takes the roar out of the note.

I was really surprised with how it looks as well, lots nicer than a regular cannon with its clean welds and folded back tip.

A worthwhile buy if you ask me.

-Dragonforce

Hey,

I have a Varex on my R33.

The sound difference is very noticeable and defiantly takes the roar out of the note.

I was really surprised with how it looks as well, lots nicer than a regular cannon with its clean welds and folded back tip.

A worthwhile buy if you ask me.

-Dragonforce

Sounds like you got the oval version?

I have an oval version on it's way to me - with dual tips... it should look a lot less 'hoon' than the huge cannon I have currently fitted, without any real performance compromises (he says, fingers crossed!)

Got mine installed today, and god damn am I impressed. When fully opened it sounds pretty good in the low revs, hit 5k rpm and you wake the entire neighborhood. When it's closed it's quieter than my sister's Suzuki Swift.

I preferred the ring my double barrel gave off, but I'm sure this will grow on me too.

im thinking bout getting one of these..so they're worth it?

Hell yes. I'll post a video later, but I'm still amazed how quiet it is when closed. It's almost too quiet, even cops that are completely ignorant when it comes to cars will wonder what's up when they pull you over.

Got mine installed today, and god damn am I impressed. When fully opened it sounds pretty good in the low revs, hit 5k rpm and you wake the entire neighborhood. When it's closed it's quieter than my sister's Suzuki Swift.

I preferred the ring my double barrel gave off, but I'm sure this will grow on me too.

Sounds good :P

I'm getting a Varex fitted this Thursday.

I've opted for the oval/twin tip version, so it should look fairly stock and the valve shouldn't be visible at all.

So hopefully much less attention from the cops...

haha nice, the vid will be good to see

Okay here it is.

It really doesn't sound that much quieter in the video, as the camera is still getting a face full of exhaust. I tried to record it from the drivers seat too and achieved much the same result.

Believe me though, difference is huge, and when it's closed it doesn't sound anywhere near as lame as it does in the video. It just sounds... like every other car.

Okay here it is.

It really doesn't sound that much quieter in the video, as the camera is still getting a face full of exhaust. I tried to record it from the drivers seat too and achieved much the same result.

Believe me though, difference is huge, and when it's closed it doesn't sound anywhere near as lame as it does in the video. It just sounds... like every other car.

What size system is that out of interest?

Okay here it is.

Cheers for posting up a video

Sounds a bit tinnie once closed on the video is it like that when ur standing near it? or is it just the video?

Cheers for posting up a video

Sounds a bit tinnie once closed on the video is it like that when ur standing near it? or is it just the video?

Pretty sure it's the video, I haven't had a chance to get anyone else to drive it so I can hear it from the outside, but from hearing it idle and driving it sounds fine. Maybe I had the camera too close, or maybe it's just the fact it's a cheapo camera.

As for the measurements, they're on the video description, but it's 4.5" tip with a 2.5" inlet.

forgive my ignorance, is this item flanged?

incase i wanted to go back to my zetti muffler??

edit: is there any backpressure problems when diverting the gas flow thru a 1'' hole!!!!!!!!!

Edited by r33cruiser