SAU Community

FS: Melb - 80Gb Western Digital 7200RPM 8Mb cache IDE hard drive

Bozz

Well in that case yeah it could be simply setup and a good optimisation would greatly improve the speed.

Loading time and anything that requires hard drive access would be reduced a fair bit by using a fast hard drive like this one but it isn't the only thing. I'm assuming you'll be using Windows 98 on a Pentium 2

alinche, if i've ever seen an incorrest statement, its yours.

It will not improve everything, ie CPU speed, it will not improve gaming frame per second performance, it will not improve video encoding performance, it will not make a noticeable difference in internet speed unless you have cable/high speed DSL.

What it will do is DRAMATICALLY improve anything that requires hard drive access. Since it will be well over 5 times faster than a comparable drive under 10 gig, it will make a very noticeable reduction to boot speed, program loading times, paging memroy to the hard disk etc. Most P2 boards will support at least UDMA3 (ATA33) and that is about the highest sustained rate of today's hard drives. Typically 30 Mb per second.

Bozz is right.

I have 2 HDD's in my system (XP1700, nForce2 Ultra, 1gb ram, etc etc)

1. IBM, 40gb, 7200rpm, ATA100, 2mb Cache, 2.5yrs old

2. WD, 120gb, 7200rpm, ATA100, 8mb Cache 0.5yrs old

The WD abbbbsolutely sh1ts all over the IBM in speed even though they are very -similar- in specs. Being a newer drive with better technology even at a very similar spec it is much quicker in everything that it does.

Everything you do in Windows involves disk access so improving the speed and quality of your hdd will be a huge improvement, although obviously not as much as a brand new system (but $140 against $1,000 is a nice upgraded and also if you upgrade later on you can just throw the 80gb WD into the new system and it will battle on).

Originally posted by NisMojo

Holy crap... 4 GB or Ram would rock ... Force install Core windows to Ram.... 3 seconds boot time hehe

Bit like the 386 and 486 days, you know, before Windows 95 :rolleyes:

But hey, they were 0.5-1 second boot times, perhaps 1.5 sec if you used Speeddrive and QEMM386 for improved performance :D

But anyway, the HD sold for $130 a couple of days after the post.