SAU Community

Cleaning HKS POD

Champinco

Guest RedLineGTR

HKS ones you can get replacement foam elements you can clean the original one with detergant(Sp) but i woudnt bother just get a new one, brand spanking new...they dont filter that much so i rather get a new one so it can trap as much dust and crap as it can. Hope it helps Rob.

Get some air filter cleaner from autobarn and some air filter oil they both have directions how to clean the filter and re-oil it (do not over oil the filter coz the shiat coats your airflow meter element and gives bad readings), and you have to take it off to clean the filter, it should just be that round knob with the hks sticker on it. These filters are great for air flow

Guest RedLineGTR

you dont put oil on the HKS pod filter they are meant to run dry. I think your talking about the K&N filters which are meant to be oiled specially.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a HKS pod that needs cleaning as i havent done it since i bought the car about 2 years ago. As far i know these foam type filters can be washed, either in soapy water or kerosene, but to be able to filter effectively they need to be oiled.

And this is when the afm problems may occur as over-oiling will have oil dripping inside the afm under vacuum. Once the oil is inside the afm you will experience various problems.

However i would not recommend not oiling the foam as the filtering will dramatically decrease without sufficient amount of oil.

I am planning on getting a new foam already oiled and installing it, and washing the old one, oiling it and storing it for next time.

I hope this has answered your questions.

I am not sure but around 50 to 70 dollars. I cant justify paying more than 80 dollars when i can re-use the old one.

I am only thinking of buying a new one for the convenience of not having to wait until the old one dries after washing.

Personally i wouldnt use a HKS foamie on a $500 bunky datsun. Everyone talks about "flow" but little do they realise that its stopping next to nothing.

I ran one on mine for 3 months when i first had the car (came with it). Pulled it off to clean it and nothing came out of it. So if its stopped nothing in 3 months I figured it was worth throwing in the bin. Bought a K&N instead.

At the end of the day no one with a turbo car should really be concerned with buying a filter for performance, but instead buying one with excellent filtration characteristics. I hear Apexi's are very good. Foam filters generally rate at the bottom of most filtration tests ive seen on the net and in magazines.

Sure the HKS might give you a whopping 2hp gain from its free flow, but think of all the crap its not stopping. Plus ive heard stories of the foam disintegrating in australian conditions and ending up being sucked into the engine.

Red17