SAU Community

S2 Oil Leak From Oil Cooler

DaveB

Hi all,

This tale follows on from my posts in this thread here; but rather than continue to thread-hijack I decided to create a separate one. Quick synopsis: my 2000 S2 was with the compliance workshop in the final stages of being complied when I received a call to say that the compliance work would be finished, however it could not go for its numbers check due to an oil leak which would not pass. I was told only that the leak appeared to be coming from the oil cooler.

So after some searching a have seen a couple of users mention that either their cars had this leak or that it is a fairly common place to leak from, and after finally getting the complete cooler/filter block off the engine (pain working under the inlet manifold and all those wires) I can see why: there are a couple of big O-rings which perish over time. I bought replacement gaskets for everything (about 4 different gaskets) from FAST ordered though my local Nissan dealer.

But now I have taken the cooler assembly apart I have discovered something worrying: one of the oil pressure relief valves on the oil filter flange has blown out (!) and lost the ball bearing! Can be seen here:

post-32445-1204998713_thumb.jpg

...closeup...

post-32445-1204999421_thumb.jpg

This is bad, because since only the spring is left, that means there is probably a ball bearing floating around somewhere in the engine :D (for reference, there is an intact valve on the right in the first photo)

However (please correct me if I'm wrong) since this is on the oil filter attachment, and these 2 pressure relief valves are there to allow the oil to bypass the filter when the filter is blocked (ie. they're on the INLET side of the filter), if a ball bearing was to go astray here it should go straight into the oil filter (and hopefully STAY there).

Since the leak was there when I got the car and the oil filter and oil etc was changed during compliance I'm hoping that it has actually been removed some time ago, still to be sure I will replace the (brand new) oil filter.

FAST says I can get a new relief valve... here's one:

post-32445-1204999981_thumb.jpg

My question is: does anybody know how to get the damn things out??? and how to get the new one in? Anybody dealt with this problem before can you give suggestions on what to do - replace relief valve or change oil cooler block?

Thanks,

DaveB

To remove the damaged valve,you probably have to strip the block down and fit them from behind the filter flange face.

I'd personally change the whole cooler block. R33 Rb25 units bolt on,my S2 is running one now after the filter thread sheared off.

Justin...

To remove the damaged valve,you probably have to strip the block down and fit them from behind the filter flange face.

I'd personally change the whole cooler block. R33 Rb25 units bolt on,my S2 is running one now after the filter thread sheared off.

Justin...

Thanks Justin; I wondered if they were different... different pressure valves etc. I'll call a local wrecker about one Tuesday. Gonna be a race to get it back on the road in time for numbers check Wednesday morning.

Thanks Justin; I wondered if they were different... different pressure valves etc. I'll call a local wrecker about one Tuesday. Gonna be a race to get it back on the road in time for numbers check Wednesday morning.

id be towing the bastard there lol

id be towing the bastard there lol

haha yeah if they'd let me do it, I would mike I can tell you... it's getting annoying not being able to drive anywhere without going to get a trade plate first

Well finally managed to extract the blown oil relief valve. Had to mangle it quite a bit to get it out; they are apparrently a press fit and quite a tight one, and the top had broken off so not much I could do except mangle it and try to hook it with a bit of wire. Finished up pushing it right down and removing the mysterious sender (think it's oil temp) that had no connection and hooking it through there.

post-32445-1205207634_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately my local Nissan parts place doesn't have a new valve in stock (and who could blame them) however they are able to get one in overnight from interstate. It's gonna be pushing it though to get it to inspection tomorrow; part is only due to arrive at 10:30-11am and I have to put it back together and drive an hour, making sure there is a minimum of 3-4 hours when I get there for inspection :S

• 1 month later...

Lol I hate leaving posts unfinished; so just thought I'd add here for prosperity that I managed to get the oil cooler on, top up the cooling system (there are *two* air-bleed points on the NEO) and drive to the inspection, didn't miss a beat :rofl: