SAU Community

License Plate Issue

InterCooL

hey guys

here's the situation

i have a turbo manual skyline

i want to teach my gf to drive manual. but my gf is on her P's and therefore cannot drive turbo cars (she is on green P's so she can drive manual, but just doesnt know how very well)

now i believe you can drive a turbo / v8 on your L's. but not on your P's. CORRECT ME HERE IF I'M WRONG :thumbsup::woot:

IF that statement is right, then while i'm instructing her on how to drive manual;

if she drives my car with L plates on, and gets pulled over by a cop, she doesnt have a valid learners license to show to the cop

if she drives my car with green P plates, and she gets pulled over by a cop, then she's in trouble for driving a turbo car

so which plates do you display?

or is there no way around this?

uh?

Shes on her Ps dude..

So when the cop pulls over and she shows her licence it will display that she is on her Ps

NOW did she get her green ps before the new rules came out?

And no dont put l plates on, as she's not on her l's

Edited by siddr20

she is under the new rules. she cannot drive a turbo car.

sounds like i just answered my own question??? if so, my gf's 16 year old younger sister can drive my car (she's on her L's) yet my gf can't... cause she's on her P's? sounds a bit strange

I remember reading somewhere when learning to drive a new vehicle, e.g for manual you can display L plates, please ring the RTA and inform them you wish to teach your girlfriend to drive manual, is it required that you display L plates, also inform them she has green Ps after you told them.

Dude,you lucked out hard,i went through all this crap you just spoke about with the RTA.

Best advice i could give is what JAS-25T already gave you.

Cheers

The RTA doesn't even know what's going on.. All they want is money.

When I started learning manual on my Red P's with the skyline I went in and asked if I should display L lates and they had no idea..

yeah as above check with the rta but i think the rule is that if she lives with u that u can put her name down on her liscense 2 drive ur car but dont hold me to it. we have a 2nd year down at work and it took a lot of friging around with the rta 2 alow him 2 drive v8s if he has 2.

From RTA website

Licence restrictions for learner driver licences:

Zero Blood Alcohol Concentration (BAC) – You cannot have any alcohol in your system when you drive a vehicle.

Display of L plates – L plates must be clearly displayed on the front and back of the vehicle.

Licence class – You can only drive cars and/or motorcycles

Seatbelts – You must ensure all occupants including yourself, are in a seat that has a seatbelt or an approved restraint fitted and that each passenger is using the seatbelt or restraint.

Speed limit – You must not drive faster than 80 km/h and must observe the speed limit where it is below 80 km/h.

Supervision – A person who has an appropriate Australian full licence (not a learner or provisional licence) must sit next to you when you are driving.

Supervising a learner – You must not supervise another learner driver.

Towing – You must not tow a trailer or any other vehicle.

Location restrictions – You must not drive in Centennial Park when in Sydney. - I never knew about that one...

Display of L plates – L plates must be clearly displayed on the front and back of the outside of the vehicle. The letter L on the plate must not be hidden.

Mobile phones – You must not use a mobile phone while driving or while your vehicle is moving or is stopped but not parked. This includes phones in the hands-free mode or with the loudspeaker operating.

Also...

LICENCE - PROVISIONAL

P1/P2 Driver fail to comply with conditions of licence - Drive prohibited vehicle. $397. 7 demerit points. - I believe that you get 4 points on reds and 7 points of greens, thats licence gooooooooooone :D

Personally I say not to risk it. The best way to get her to learn how to drive a manual is to do what I did to my mate's sister. Convince her to sell her auto, buy a manual and just learn by having no alternative to drive. When she complains about stalling and roo hopping and doing burn outs either reason with her that it will be an expensive deal to sell your manual car straight after you bought it (due to stamp duty and taxes and shit), or tell her she is soft for giving up. Harsh, but it worked. Mate's sister went from auto Lancer to manual Pulsar! :laughing-smiley-014:

she is under the new rules. she cannot drive a turbo car.

sounds like i just answered my own question??? if so, my gf's 16 year old younger sister can drive my car (she's on her L's) yet my gf can't... cause she's on her P's? sounds a bit strange

Thats how it goes. She'll have to wait for pick another car. Other option, send her with a driving instrctor to save your clutch.

Yes her sister can drive anything untill she is on her p's.