SAU Community

As far I was aware the R33 GTS-4 are all non turbo (RB25DE)

but I'm sure someone will come along and tell me that there was some special edition or something, of turbo models hehe :D

Yes thats right. R32 GTS-4 had RB20 turbo engine, and R33 GTS-4 has the RB25 normally aspirated engine only.

I have been looking for an R33 GTS-4 manual for over a year, and cannot find one that is for sale, but they do exist. There are quite a few automatics around, if that is what you want.

Yes the R34 does come with an RB25DET plus AWD, but it would not come cheap.

The best option is to get an R33 n/a GTS-4 and turbo it yourself, a bit of work, but not impossible.

Another way would be to fit an RB26DETT to an R33 GTS-4, now that would make a very nice sleeper, and at around half the cost of a GTR as well.

If you bought an auto GTS-4 for about $15K, a complete GTR front cut for about $10K, you would have absolutely everything you need, plus you could flog off all the unused bits and recover a few dollars.

Well.. I'm in the US. Skylines are a tad bit scarce here.

These pictures are the engine swap I'm buying, which has come from japan. And I really cannot find out exactly what it came from. All I know is that it is an AWD R33 RB25DET automatic.

I gather it's either from the Stagea or some sort of GTSt-4. It doesn't really matter, but I have been looking for information on it for a while now. And everytime I mention this engine or show pictures of it to people here in the US (or on a US Nissan forum), they think it has been modified in some way. I'm trying to figure out the truth. I know there was alot of variations of skylines out there.. but I've found no real information on the exact models and editions for each year. It obviously looks stock and unmodified IMO.

If it is from the Stagea though.. it is definetely rare. Because what I'm gathering is that there was only one year that the stagea even had the RB25DET AWD, and that was 96. The others were called VQ25DET's..

Who knows. Thanks though.

Very interesting EJ6. The RB25 block used in the AWD version is different to the "normal" RB25 block. The oil pan rails are quite different, and some of the holes are much larger to take the studs which secure the alloy sump and front diff.

So there is the RB25DE, and RB25DET block used on the R33 and R34 rear wheel drive cars, and then there is the RB26DETT, RB25DE, and RB25DET neo blocks as used in all the AWD versions.

Your R33 has definitely been modified in some way, and there are two possibilities. The original RB25DE may have been fully rebuilt with all the RB25DET parts, but using the original (AWD) bare block, this is possible, but highly unlikely.

The other possibility is that someone has dropped in an R34 Stagea RB25DET neo engine. This engine is different in many ways to the original RB25DET, and is rated for 205Kw, if I remember correctly. There are many detailed changes including variable valve timing on both cams, and the top of the engine looks totally different. It should have "neo straight six" prominently displayed. If it does, you are a very fortunate fellow.

Yes, everything is exactly the same except for the clutch. The GTR also has better spec brakes.

The R33 AWD gear ratios are the same in the Rb25s and Rb26s both have 4.11 diffs. The R32 GTS-4 Rb20's came with 4.3 diffs, but all the manual gearboxes are all identical.

Warpspeed, thanks for your help with this..

I've also heard that the RB25DET stagea is a bit more powerfull. I hope to god this is it, because that would be one cool thing.

It doesn't look like a neo engine either does it?

Could it possibly be a R32 GTS-4 setup? I am being told this is R33. And it definetely LOOKS like R33.. because it doesn't look very old.

When I get the swap, is there a way of telling for sure or not? I'm familiar with honda's and they all have engine codes on the blocks. Does Nissan do this too in any way?

Thanks