SAU Community

What To Do

DiNoBoNeS

Facts:

A few months ago (4ish) I had a crash some guy jump on the breaks at a green and I slide in to them my car went to the panel beaters and they done an awesome job. Any ways the engine bay light (orange) comes on now and I took it in to ultra tune and he said it is not my spark plugs or coil packs it is a part that is going to put me back. Around 900 dollars "Cam Sensor". Now I will like to know does this part happen to be in the car. Or are they trying to blow smoke the guy said let me buy the part 4 you and we will fit it at a price. The part at $900.00 and fitting $XXX I do not know he did not say.

My bosses at work said take it to Nissan because ultra tune is good 4 small jobs (I cleaned it up) due to my car as an import Nissan wants to dyno it for 3 hours @ $110.00 an hour before they do work on it. So it will be $330.00 then what ever the parts and labour will be.

Problem:

Before

When the light comes on it sounds like a sick wrx and the engine bay rumbles

Now

The light comes on and it does not really sound like a wrx she is starting to smooth out and sound like normal.

Please help me out.

Questions:

A) Is there a cam sensor?

B) Is this problem worth 2/3 advices.

C) Will Nissan be worth taken it to at this price?

D) Should I try to find a import place that deals with skylines.

E) Because she was off will the fuel was just sitting in her will this be making a problem and all i have to do is just drive her and flush her out?

Thank you for your time in reading this topic

Edited by DiNoBoNeS

Mate im not sure what the problem is, but i would suggest going to an import workshop and get them to look at it and quote it. a few:

Hyperdrive

C-Red

X-Speed (will be pricy)

There are plenty more in the "consolidated workshop thread". Check it out and find someone local to you. All the workshops in that thread are reputable.

(Ultratune + Imports = No clue) :)

go to Hyperdrive, and talk to Andrew, was there before and having a talk and he seems to know his stuff..

and I dont think Nissan would be a good place to go first up, try some of the workshops around first and leave Nissan till last.

just my thoughts

obviously if it sounds like a WRX then one or more of the cylinders arent firing.

Possible causes...dead sprak plug from pinging, old age, over fuelling etc, coil pack dead....swap for another one, or closed injector (probably not)

Dont ever waste your time at these nuffy chain mechanics. If you cant do the job yourself then im sure some good friend off the forums can come around and have a look for you. THen if it stumps the more seasoned backyard mechanics then take it to the reputable big guys who wont spin some crap.

FYI, yes there is a cam sensor. It sits on the end of your exhaust cam and looks like a cup face down. If thats the problem then the car might start to compressor surge, will drive ok, then suddenly have flat spots or just generally be impossible to drive. I wouldnt think that would be the problem in a 34.

If it is then theyre available a lot cheaper than that second hand, all though that price he gave you is pretty much spot on from Nissan.

thanks people i did not have a clue on where to take it i will give them a call thanks 4 all the help. all so ultra tune (i am not bagging them out) just i do not know what there like on imports there more of four cylinder cars and holden and fords

thanks people i did not have a clue on where to take it i will give them a call thanks 4 all the help. all so ultra tune (i am not bagging them out) just i do not know what there like on imports there more of four cylinder cars and holden and fords

take it to the workshop ron

on a better note guess it's time to live up to ur number plates name hey?:devil:

FYI - the cam sensor is the big round silver thing hanging off the front of your engine right at the top, and without actually hearing the engine its too hard to say what the problem is, but if the CAS stuffs up, it may be sending some pretty weird info to the ecu OR it might have nothing to do with it. Do you have (or know anyone with) access to a consult cable? Cause this would tell you the problem straight away.

Mine also sounded like a rex for a good few months, upgraded coils n plugs. Put new AFM in it. No help.

Ended up ginnin around with all the electrical plugs n what not. turns out the contacts were dirty or something in one of em causing a cylinder to not fire at all.

Gave it a spray with the air compressor and cleaned it out. plugged back in and run like a charm : D