SAU Community

Cleaning Pod

3340TH

Hi was just wondering how i can clean my pod filter...I have a K&N filter on my VL and have the cleaning agents for them, and people have told me to use them for my BLITZ Pod filter which is blue...now i don't believe i should be using red oil on my blue filter...just thought i should probably clean as i have owned the car for 15months and have not yet cleaned it....Also can this pod filter be hosed etc etc. Cheers

Also while I'm at it, what is the main cause for black shit spurting over the back of my car. Is there anything i can do myself about that or do i need to see someone about it?

I've heard of several ways to clean filters > i.e soaking filter in petrol to remove junk, let it dry completely, then treat it with the air filter oil, re fit to car. <-- dont think id try it, though it cant hurt - only a filter after all.

And the obvious other method is buying the cleaning kits. Maybe try searching the forums, and even google, youre bound to find an answer somewhere about the Blitz filter.

I have the apexi pod filter that apparently doesent require maintenance - so ive never cleaned it - except for removing dust from the grooves with a compressed air gun.

As for the black stuff spurting out the rear > is your car running a cat convertor?

You'll generally find that exhaust soot will land itself on the rear of your car if the tip of your exhaust ends pretty close under your rear bumper. Mine sticks out quite a bit, so i never get soot on the bumper.

It could be just caused by backfiring. Generally aint a problem mechanically.

Edited by Luciano_GTST

I use K&N Air Filter Cleaning kit.

It comes with a cleaning agent and a oil spray.

(Preffer you remove the filter from the casing) Spray the cleaning agent to soak the filter and let is soak for 10-15 mins then rinse under a hose / tape water to get rid of the dirt, dust, oil stains etc.

Let it dry in the sun and you can pat it down with a tower to make sure you get all the water out.

Spay the oil over the filter giving it a light coat. (Not too much!) Its to catch the tiny paricals.

The place the filter back into casing and your car can breath better!

BTW I would not use petrol, degresser, hot soapy water. I did it before and the filter turned alittle harsh.

Edited by (00)SKYLINE(00)

In regards to the Apexi'i, maintenece free i think means it doesnt need oiling.

But obviously if it gets shit dirty it still needs a clean.

Common sence would suggest washing it from the inside out. Or your just forcing shit deeper into the filter elements. Especially with compressed air. Dam good idea tho, but id be popping it out and doing it from the inside :P

Common sence would suggest washing it from the inside out. Or your just forcing shit deeper into the filter elements. Especially with compressed air. Dam good idea tho, but id be popping it out and doing it from the inside :)

yeah hehe, you definitely take it off to do it, and shoot air inside it. youll be suprised at how much shit comes out (specially if its an exposed pod).

I originally took it off so i could get to the AFM when i was suffering a misfire problem back in the day.

It does back fire occasionally, but ive never checked the cat, probably should...and check that it the same size as the exhaust. It sticks out a fair way behind the car, it looks funny cause its straight out and has a baffle. Not a very big tip, bout 4 inches i'd say.

i guess i'll google it, i do have the k and n cleaning kit, but don't want to use it because of it being a red oil.

Thnx.

Hi was just wondering how i can clean my pod filter...I have a K&N filter on my VL and have the cleaning agents for them, and people have told me to use them for my BLITZ Pod filter which is blue...now i don't believe i should be using red oil on my blue filter...just thought i should probably clean as i have owned the car for 15months and have not yet cleaned it....Also can this pod filter be hosed etc etc. Cheers

Also while I'm at it, what is the main cause for black shit spurting over the back of my car. Is there anything i can do myself about that or do i need to see someone about it?

Just use the K&N cleaner the oil will slowly disapear and you won't notice it. I have a blue filter as well and

use K&N filter cleaner.

The Black stuff over the rear bar is because it is running rich. Turbo cars generally run rich to stop detenation which is bad.

Just wash it off.

A US test some time ago, did prove the mesh ones to really be only good for stopping clowns on tricycles from being ingested.

In all seriousness, I'm not sure how much wear the particles that get through, would do to your comp wheel / cylinders, but I'd still never run one. If your running an AFM, the best is the dry cotton Apexi units, though 99% of ppls use oiled foam.

Definitely don't use fuel as will break down the filter gauze.

Spot on bout dry filter elements with AFM. Oiled filters leave grime on the sensors causing

overfuelling issues.

As for the black soot from your exhaust, try gapping your plugs back to 0.8mm or 0.7mm if you have

upped the boost.

Definitely don't use fuel as will break down the filter gauze.

Spot on bout dry filter elements with AFM. Oiled filters leave grime on the sensors causing

overfuelling issues.

As for the black soot from your exhaust, try gapping your plugs back to 0.8mm or 0.7mm if you have

upped the boost.

I don't have a boost controller but, when we put a pressure gauge on the BOV it said it was running 10.

Gapping plugs? as in spark plugs?