SAU Community

Gearbox/tailshaft Vibration After 40km ?!

hey guys, got a issue with the running of my car atm.

its still driveable but when i hit 40km or above the car vibrates really badly. it seems either the box or tailshaft is vibrating against the chassis.

prior to this, i had a gearbox change & it was running fine before.

what would it be this time round?

me & my mechanic have double checked everything and it all seems to be fine. mount is in good condition & tailshaft bolted up correctly.

(previous box was a Rb20 & the box i have now is a Rb30 if it matters)

any input appreciated. Cheers :(

Edited by whyte

Had the exact same issue but more severe last week, mine was vibrating badly after 20Km. Found the centre bearing in the tailshaft had seized over time (car has been sitting arround for a while). I ended up replacing the whole tailshaft as it was easier than fixing (prob cheaper to). If you can lift your car up and get underneeth see if you can move the tailshaft up and down where the centre bearing is, if it feels tight then its stuffed. My car is a 32GTR btw

Edited by bnr#@

+1 for bearings..

Alternatively.. Ensure the driveshaft is balanced.

Is the clutch properly aligned?

If the car is on idle. At a standing point. Open the door and put the clutch in. Any strange noises? This too can point towards an un-balanced shaft.

^no strange noises when clutch is pushed in on idle.

it was working perfectly fine until i got my gearbox changed from a rb20 to a rb30.

the xmember was slightly twisted but i have fixed it today by modding the xmember with new brackets so its perfectly aligned but the vibration is less then before but its still there!!!

very very annoying!

^no strange noises when clutch is pushed in on idle.

it was working perfectly fine until i got my gearbox changed from a rb20 to a rb30.

the xmember was slightly twisted but i have fixed it today by modding the xmember with new brackets so its perfectly aligned but the vibration is less then before but its still there!!!

very very annoying!

I had a similar problem, replaced the hanger bearing, no more problem. If you can get underneath you car apply upward pressure to the driveshaft and see how much play you get at the hanger bearing. If it seems to move freely and easily, consider replacing the bearing.

Roger

^ thanks mate ill have a look at it when i get some free time.

i hope its something simple as i dont wanna get the shaft rebalanced etc :banana:

Buds

Having this vibration in my car. It happens after 100km all the way to my 180km cut.

I have sent the wheels for balancing and all is fine. The vibration seems to be coming from the centre of

the car all the way to the back. I suspect it may be a misaligned long shaft. Happens on and off throttle

Would it be the bearings if it happens at this speed i.e 100km and above?

Thx

checked my tailshaft last night, tried to wiggle it up & down and it doesnt move so i guess thats a good sign.

vibration seems to be coming from around the shifter area back to where the mount is & where it joins to the tailshaft (centre bearing?)

gonna re check my mount & replace with a urethane one i had lying around & it may be sagging a bit too (whcih i may have not noticed) so gonna try add a few washers in to space the bastard back up.

^leon, i rekon you should get your tailshaft checked out & balanced if necessary.

mine was working fine before so its strange for some reason its playing up now afterdoing a box change. the box may be slight longer or the mount position is slightly different so i gotta double check all this shiet on the weekend when i have time.

it happens at exactly 40km & above.

when off throttle around 4000rpm it jerks & cuts out, i press the accelerator and theres a slight delay and it just accelerates and it jerks & moves again..

Edited by whyte

checked my tailshaft last night, tried to wiggle it up & down and it doesnt move so i guess thats a good sign.

vibration seems to be coming from around the shifter area back to where the mount is & where it joins to the tailshaft (centre bearing?)

gonna re check my mount & replace with a urethane one i had lying around & it may be sagging a bit too (whcih i may have not noticed) so gonna try add a few washers in to space the bastard back up.

^leon, i rekon you should get your tailshaft checked out & balanced if necessary.

mine was working fine before so its strange for some reason its playing up now afterdoing a box change. the box may be slight longer or the mount position is slightly different so i gotta double check all this shiet on the weekend when i have time.

it happens at exactly 40km & above.

when off throttle around 4000rpm it jerks & cuts out, i press the accelerator and theres a slight delay and it just accelerates and it jerks & moves again..

Ummm.. Its supose to be able to wigle up and down a bit if it doesnt then its probably seized...

you mentioned a gearbox swap. when i had the box out for a clutch change the mechanic put the tailshaft back on 180 degrees out of alignment, had bad vibrations rotated tailshaft back to original markings voila no more vibrations

• 1 year later...

Id say have a good look at the hanger bearing again. I have the exact same problem ... starts vibrating at 40 but goes away as i speed up (assuming it manages to balance out some how). Anyway took it in the other jack it up and drove it and it was the drive shaft hanger bearing that was f**ked.

• 11 months later...

Hey guys...im bumping a dead thread..

My car tends to vibrate from the back area..its only when im going slow on low rpmm...exactly around 1250rpm its starts vibrating but as soon as i get past the rev it stops...

for example i was testing it and i was going 60...and i put it in 5th and it was vibrating extremly loud..untill i past 1250 rpm...

Is it my tailshaft?

If it's RPM related I would be looking at the input side of the gearbox, if it's speed related I would be looking at the output side of the gearbox, the tailshaft or the diff.

Edited by bubba

If it's RPM related I would be looking at the input side of the gearbox, if it's speed related I would be looking at the output side of the gearbox, the tailshaft or the diff.

It doesnt hapn when im going above 1200 rpm...no matter what gear...it only happens for like 2 seconds once i hit 1200rpm on the taco..n once it goes over theres no vibration...

What could be wrong with the tailshaft? or the diff?

check that the exhaust is not rubbing against any part of the car. this causes a vibration that is hard to find.. believe me i speak from personal experience..

I had wheels aligned, balanced even rebuilt the tail shaft... no change.... found the exhaust was not hanging properly fixed it and problem is gone!