SAU Community

Fuel Pump? Random Cut Outs? Help...

Min_R32

Ok, was on Kellie's cruise last night and everything was fine.

Boosted good etc.

Today as i was doing taxi rounds for Rad33 and his turbo swap, the car suddenly lost a lot of power just cruising along in 4th on port rd.

I pulled it back into 3rd and the same thing happened... just decelerated.

As i hit West tce on the way home sitting at the lights, it started to idle real bad and real low, almost cutting out at times.

And just before when i was heading towards the missus' place, the fuel pump was whirring VERY loud. I got worried so i pulled over and switched the car off.

As i turned the car on to take off it seemed as though nothing had happened, until about a few kilometers down the road i had to pull over and do the same as the

fuel pump sounded like it was about to blow.

Can anyone shed any light as to if i just need a new fuel pump or if the sudden loss of power is caused by something else.

Cheers

Min

Im running stock boost. i have a full exhaust from turbo, stock front mount and pod. I dont even need to be accelerating or to be under boost. It happens off boost aswell. I think its being starved of fuel because the fuel pump sounds like its on its way out. But ive never heard the cries of a dying fuel pump. It just whirs really really loud and at some point over power my exhaust note. (so its fair loud) Is this how fuel pumps die =/?

i cant belive i forgot this happened to me ages ago and i changed the fule filter but put a bigger one in ryco 401 i think is the part number and when i took my old one off it had this black shit and it was i bit thick to so chech that hun befor you fork out for a new fuel pump

Mine also did the same thing.

Your up for a new fuel pump.

If you get stuck. Beat the crap out of the bottom of the tank roughly where the fuel pump resides.. The pump will then come good again.... for a bit. :D

have people been in the back seat?

check the earth wire going into the pump with a testlight just to see if there is a pulse...

no word of a lie, i got fuel at a servo one night and left the servo and it pig rooted and carried on and just died... realising the fuel pump will not prime. towed it home and ended up replacing my walbro fuel pump with the same model number and still nothing... checked the wiring and discovered that the earth wire had been roughly cut through (after a couple of days of stuffing around).

the wiring was located behind the rear seats and movement on the rear seats from having passengers resulted in the wire getting squashed and connection broken to the fuel pump. :D

run an earth wire directly to where the neg battery wire goes on the vehicle body for the best earth point, so it would fail on me.

you wouldnt read about it!

this was in my r33 GTST and you may not have the wiring to the fuel pump going in behind the seat.

I will check that 4DRFTN, but if it is the fuel pump which i fear it is. Anyone have any recommendations on what sort of fuel pump to get? Im not looking to mod this car alot just fmic, exhaust, maybe 33 turbo in the near future.

not sure if this would help but my bro's R32 did the same thing..

This led to him finding out there was rust built up in the fuel tank which became all sludgy thus clogging up fuel filter etc and wearing out the pump. The mechanic (boostworx) dipped his hand in and pulled a handfull of sludge out.

remedy: new (2nd hand) fuel tank ordered and bigger fuel pump.

outcome: Car runs smooth as now.

Damn! I'm thinking my place is cursed! :D

Both you and Adrian left my place and have car problems ... although we've nailed Adrian's problem down to possible lack of coolant, not loss of coolant. :D

Ok just purchased a Walbro 255l/h fuel pump off Slide, will let you guys know how it goes =D Oh and thanks again Madaz for the offer but ill just go for a

new one. Get it over and done with. For $160 i reckon its a bargain.

I had a Bosch 040 in my S15 and got a bad batch of fuel and the car had similar symptoms. Pulled the 040 out and it had sludge all over the inlet, which had clogged it up and stressed the pump out, causing it to whine and stutter. My S15 was only 60,000km at the time - we pulled the fuel tank out just to be safe and it was full of sludge at the bottom. Had to steam clean it out. I put it down to a bad batch of fuel from SAFF, which I got in the week before the sludge appeared. Had never used any other fuel than Mobil 8000 and BP Ultimate - then 1 tank of SAFF and bang.

Nice work going the Walbro - I have one in my R34 and it is great. I replaced the buggered 040 in my S15 with a Walbro too - did the same job, but was literally half the noise. 040s are so damn noisy - constant buzzing from the fuel tank = very annoying!