SAU Community

Tein Ss

hey guys

ok i was looking at upgrading my suspension to Tien Super Streets. They are going to go into a Skyline R32 gts-t.

the question i wanted to know is . are they cheap to buy them second hand for $700.00 and if they break rebuild them? or should i pay around 1600 and get them brand new?? also how much would it cost average price to rebuilt the tein's if they ever do break.

and another question would be what else brands can i find for the same price range?

I will be using them for rode and a bit of track work.

thanks

niran

HSD Type R........$1450 new and they are the uprated ones over the Type S for i think $1200. Maybe get them cheaper else where. Ive had super streets on my car befor (both S13 silvias.) and i was not too happy with them, they did not go low at all and were kinda soft. My brother bought new ones and had the revalved and Fulcrum made custom springs so it could go lower, has plenty of travel and can sit the car on the floor if want to.

I currently have Tein HA's in my r32 and i am not happy with them either, they dont go lower enough, i am still above legal hieght and they are as low as they will go. I know HSDs go alot lower, and personally i belive they would be stronger than teins as they have a larger diameter rod too. Also instead of just spring seat adjustment they have shock hieght adjustment

oh realy.. thanks for that aye. il look into that more. il try find some one who has a skyline in perth that has the SS and go in the car to see what it feels like. and then try the HSD's .. thanks for the help man

niran

Highly recommend brand new as well. I have a set of SS in my 34GTT and they ride great. Before you bite the bullet and get some no brand cheapie, make sure you determine what the spring rates are first. Mine are 5k fronts and 4k rears which are just slightly above factory. Anything above these spring rates and you will find they ride harsher than normal. The SS is a perfect combo for street and track use.

Highly recommend brand new as well. I have a set of SS in my 34GTT and they ride great. Before you bite the bullet and get some no brand cheapie, make sure you determine what the spring rates are first. Mine are 5k fronts and 4k rears which are just slightly above factory. Anything above these spring rates and you will find they ride harsher than normal. The SS is a perfect combo for street and track use.

+1

got them in my 34 too. mine also has the electronic damping controller thing. goes from soft for road use to hard for the track at the push of a button :P i think the controller is like an extra $600 or something so i probably wouldnt have bought it, that setup was on the car when i got it.

HSD Type R........$1450 new and they are the uprated ones over the Type S for i think $1200. Maybe get them cheaper else where. Ive had super streets on my car befor (both S13 silvias.) and i was not too happy with them, they did not go low at all and were kinda soft. My brother bought new ones and had the revalved and Fulcrum made custom springs so it could go lower, has plenty of travel and can sit the car on the floor if want to.

I currently have Tein HA's in my r32 and i am not happy with them either, they dont go lower enough, i am still above legal hieght and they are as low as they will go. I know HSDs go alot lower, and personally i belive they would be stronger than teins as they have a larger diameter rod too. Also instead of just spring seat adjustment they have shock hieght adjustment

lol you u judge a coilover based on whether u can make the car touch the ground or not?

they have shock hieght adjustment

Which means the entire weight of the car is being held on 4 skinny collars. And that's when the car is standing still. When it's moving, those 4 skinny alloy collars are expected to handle well over 6G (6 times the weight of the car) on many occasions just driving down a normal road. Not the collars themselves mind you, but the small number of threads inside the collars. Does that sound like a good idea in reliability and a lengthy life?

Cheers

Gary

Which means the entire weight of the car is being held on 4 skinny collars. And that's when the car is standing still. When it's moving, those 4 skinny alloy collars are expected to handle well over 6G (6 times the weight of the car) on many occasions just driving down a normal road. Not the collars themselves mind you, but the small number of threads inside the collars. Does that sound like a good idea in reliability and a lengthy life?

Cheers

Gary

Not doubting your knowledge or anything Gary, but I've seen quite a few 'upper market' coilovers that have adjustable height shocks too. I'll find some examples when i get home later.

Although I dont work in the suspension industry, I can't say I've seen/heard of any failing due to that design.

Have you come across any failing in your experience?