SAU Community

Apprenticeship

gersfan

Hey guys,

Well im trying to get an Electrical Apprenticeship. Basically I'm wondering how much I can expect to get as an hourly/weekly wage.

I have done a pre-apprenticeship so I can work all week (employer doesn't have to pay me to go to tafe).

Also, If anyone works in a trade what would you realistically pay for a reliable and hard working apprentice each week? :rofl:

I was offered a spot by a group training organisation but I would stuggle to stay alive on their first year wage. (around $220 a week after tax). While I have also heard some stories of people getting ridiculously high amounts.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

:O

Edited by mudvayner

Hey guys,

Well im trying to get an Electrical Apprenticeship. Basically I'm wondering how much I can expect to get as an hourly/weekly wage.

I have done a pre-apprenticeship so I can work all week (employer doesn't have to pay me to go to tafe).

Also, If anyone works in a trade what would you realistically pay for a reliable and hard working apprentice each week? :rofl:

I was offered a spot by a group training organisation but I would stuggle to stay alive on their first year wage. (around $220 a week after tax).

:O

sounds about right unfortunately, first years get like $6 an hour i think (could be wrong) and if ur working a tradey week, 40 hours + then thats 40 x 6 = 240. so around about there i guess. but some pay more than others.

really depends on what size company u are looking into working for mate. bigger companys have an eba which generally means higher wage. also if you work for a union company you will get site allowance etc but personally, i got mates that work for union based companys and they learn bugger all. better off looking for a company that does industrial/cpmmercial work but really depends where you want to be in 4 years. think the minium hourly award wage is around the $7 mark at the moment 4 a 1st year.

brett

Hey mate.

Im doing a electrical apprenticeship with a energy supply company in my state as a cable jointer. If your worried about pay my suggestion would be to hit up your state supply company eg QLD energex, for a job they offer jobs as efm(normal sparky), underground cable jointers and linesman.

Big companys look after you mate.

Heres an idea of my hourly rate through my app

1st yr 9.50hr

2nd yr 14hr

3rd Yr 20

4yr yr 25hr.

If you got anymore questions send me a pm

Edited by Landy

go for a big company like RioTinto or something... im an adult apprentice and get paid very well but the normal first years get some thing like $2300 a month... don't quote me on it but im pretty sure it's about that.

age only useally affects you for the first 2yrs of a apprentice ship. if your over 21 you'll get min adult wage for first 2 yrs. once you go 3rd your usally getting paid more then min adult.. a few blokes from my work sat on 15 hr for the first 2 yrs then went up

i know with my company there penalties are pretty good

double time etc

working in rain money

9 day fortnight

etc

most big companys the workers are in a union and they useally fight for enterprise barganing agreements etc to get you more cash and better penalties

its the same as most full time jobs

Edited by Landy

LOL

apprentices get paid shit money, get their asses ridden by all the TA's and Tradies, and get all the crap jobs to do.

Deal with it!

Srsly d00d, I am not trying to put a downer on you, but that is the way of the world. Just grit your teeth, concentrate on learning and worry about it at the end of your time. No matter how awful it may seem, it is SO worth it, and all the injustices you suffer as an apprentice, you will get to inflict on n00bs yourself later in life. Once you have a trade ticket in this state, the world is your oyster.

mate as an apprentice accept the fact that you will not earn great money for afew years it cant be helped but you will get a loverly bit of paper at the end that says your a trade it also says if your good set your own price

best bet is find yourself a company that will put you on as a private apprentice and that does varied work ( industrial, comersial,domestic and maintenance) they may not give you the best pay packet but will give you the experience you need to be a "in demand" tradesperson

all the best buddy

GWP

I work for westernpower in a traineeship programme as a cable jointer, The pay is better cause u are actually employed directly by WP. They pay for everything you need, plus i have my own work vehicle. Overtime is good if you get into the right depot and boss, and if you can get into the fault crew, some 2 year trainees are pulling in excess of 65 grand. (call out times though) But depending on what you want to do, house sparky, industrial, linesman, cablejointer. It's a big decision. good luck

Thanks for all the help guys.

I do realise I won't be making much money at first but I just thought I'd be able to do a little better than $220 a week.

I'm going to give Western Power a try and see when they look for apprentices.

Cheers :happy:

• Latest Posts

• Me too. Apparently the new version of Invision will allow some customisation so look forward to a 'Love' reaction and a new 'Like' icon.
    • Which injectors are you using? It's likely the fuelling is off also, so as above.
    • Awesome to know. I have a Series 1, and When pulling my front bumper off for the first time i realised my reo/crash bar was a bit worse for wear, and was going to try pick up a better one soon just so i can replace it. Someone is selling a full series 2 front bar and brackets for a decent price, so was going to probably reuse my brackets and install the new second hand reo/crash bar. I also have a genuine Altia body kit to do up, spray and put on, and not sure if that will use the series 1 or series 2 brackets for the front bumper, so having both will be handy, and knowing i can drill holes out to make stuff fit between series is also handy to know!
    • I should also say that the while they are different the only parts that matter are the center headlight supports and center bar from S1 to S2. The center bar will work, but the S1 has holes that clips go through into the S1 bumper. So if you were super cheap you could simply drill the S2 bar. Same thing with the side/wings. They have slightly different 'clips' but can be made to work. The center headlight brackets however, cannot. This is also where the GTR differs, which has a different center bar, and different headlight supports (to either GTT system), it also has different 'wing' headlight supports which is what I am calling under the headlight. However those CAN be made to work with the GTT Reo for a GTR front bar by a small spacer and a drill/tapping a thread into the reo because the bolt positions are slightly different. So people only really need the center brackets to go between GTT S1, GTT S2, and GTR if you are happy to do some tinkering.
    • Indeed  😃  Appears the site is back up now (migrated not updated) - kudos @funkymonkey & @PranK